Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Inexpensive New England Vacation Ideas

We are saving for a big trip to Chile in March 2014, so I need to keep this years vacation very affordable. I am looking for ideas from everyone for a summer vacation.

We live in Southern Maine and I need it to be in driving distance to me. I would like it to be no more than a 8 hour drive (but shorter would be even better 2-3 hours would be ideal). I was thinking of renting either a house, cabin, or condo so we would have a full kitchen.

When my older son was 3 (about 11 years ago), I used to rent a travel trailer at a campground. It was already set up for you and it was awesome. They had tons of activities to do and a lake to go swimming at. It cost $500 for the week. I just checked out their website and their weekly price is up to $1095/week. Way too much for me.

I am hoping the rental would be between $500 - $750 for the week. I want the full kitchen because than our food budget would just be my normal grocery budget because we would do all our cooking their and just do our normal Friday night meal out.

I am hoping the area would have lots of free or very inexpensive activities for a 15-year old and a 4-year old. Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome!!!

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
PelletierBears
Mouseketeer

We're in a similar situation with a planning / paying off a Disney trip for October or November but still would like to do something this summer. I started researching cabin rentals in Maine and NH and was surprised at the prices... many were over $1000 for a week in July. I'm hoping to still find something less expensive since I think it's a good option to get away but stay within a budget.

I wish I had some suggestions for you! Hopefully others will post.

1982 - offsite, 1996 - offsite, May 2001 - AKL, June 2006 - WL, June 2007 - WL, July 2008 - WL, June 2009 -Split stay: Pirate rm CBR & Poly Club Level!, December 2010 -Split stay: POP & WL, June 2012 - Split stay: CSR & WL, January 2014 - Split stay: AKL Club level & Poly, January 2015 - AKL Club level
PelletierBears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #3
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

You live in a great location to just do staycations. You are within a day tripmof many great things.
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

White Mountains, NH.
Burlington, VT.
Berkshires in MA.
Cape Cod & the islands
Newport RI
Mystic in CT
Bar Harbor, ME
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
happily single
Left foot first!

The White Mountains in NH. You could visit Santa's Village, Storyland, Clark's Trading Post, there are two different railroads and a bunch of other things. The NH Lung Association has a pass which is a fundraiser for them which costs $25.00 and is full of coupons for Buy One Get One Free Admission for many many locations in NE

Also, Yogi Bear has a campground further south in NH, but I can't recall the exact town.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
happily single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Thanks...those are really great suggestions. I am starting to lean towards a staycation. We just moved to Southern Maine about a month ago, so this would give us an opportunity to discover our new home. However, I always feel the pull to go away somewhere.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
pat fan
I'm leaving now so I don't have to witness what comes next

Heck, we go to southern Me. for our vacations. How bout we swap houses? (JK!)

"Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be."
-- John Wayne
pat fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles_and_Gabe View Post
Thanks...those are really great suggestions. I am starting to lean towards a staycation. We just moved to Southern Maine about a month ago, so this would give us an opportunity to discover our new home. However, I always feel the pull to go away somewhere.
Oh, in that case, absolutely STAYCATION! Lots of things to discover since you are new to the area. That is an easy decision!
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaucoup View Post
White Mountains, NH.
Burlington, VT.
Berkshires in MA.
Cape Cod & the islands
Newport RI
Mystic in CT
Bar Harbor, ME

These are all good suggestions. I particularly like the White Mountains/Conway area in NH, Newport RI or Cape Cod.

Freeport ME is nice too. I've never been to Bar Harbor ME.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 PM   #10
tzolkin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles_and_Gabe View Post
We had an exchange student last year so we did a few different short trips with her. She really wanted to see the Atlantic Ocean "from the other side" so we decided on a long weekend trip to Southern Maine.

Although it was May it was cold (50s) and rainy most of the trip. Despite that the kids had a great time just exploring the beaches and rocky coast. We went to Cape Elizabeth one day and saw the lighthouse and Fort Williams Park.

Another day we went to Portsmouth, NH. We went to Strawbery Banke which is a living history museum. They kids had way more fun than I had expected. There are areas where kids can try on period clothes and play with toys. Honestly, I think the two teens were having more fun than my little ones. We also went to Redhook Brewery and did a tour (kids welcome) and had dinner. We definitely could have spent more than one day in this town and are planning to go back.
tzolkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Strawberry Banke sounds awesome. My 3-year old loves to dress up. We just went to the Children's Museum yesterday and I couldn't drag him out of the Stage Play area. He loved trying on all the costumes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: