Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Sigman 18-200mm

Hey folks,

After owning my Nikon D5100 and 18-55mm kit lens for about six months and doing a lot of searching around, I *think* I've found the next lens I'd like to purchase: the Sigman 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 II DC OS HSM.

The reviews on the lens are pretty good and I think it'd make for good walkaround lens for home and travel. Plus, the cost is right for me since I'm definitely an amateur shooter. But, before I take the plunge, I'm curious what all you photo pros in Disboard Land have to say.

Do any of you have experience with this lens? Or Sigma, in general? What about the pros/cons of getting an 18-200mm?

Thanks all...
lhermiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Oops! Meant to put "Sigma" in the title. Sorry, folks!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I have four Sigma lenses. They are all the EX lenses which as their more expensive lens line. I have had good luck with them and their customer service is excellent. I have:

28-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8
100-300 f4
30 f1.4

I have never used the 18-200. Since it has similar f-stop limitation range as the 18-55, you will have similar low light issues. The upside (if its a problem for you) is that you get the extra zoom without changing lenses.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Well, now I'm looking at the Nikon 50 mm FX and...

Ugh. I can't remember a time I've been so indecisive about something for so long. I've been mulling over lenses for three months now!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

If you have heard this before, then disregard. Lenses are problem solvers. You need to analyze what your current lens lineup is not able to do what you want it to do. Then research and find the lens that fixes the problem. I find it disconcerting that you go from looking at an 18-200 to a 50mm. What are you trying to shoot that you are having an issue or can't shoot because of equipment? That's the question you should be answering. That way you create your lens roadmap.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
traylorc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
If you have heard this before, then disregard. Lenses are problem solvers. You need to analyze what your current lens lineup is not able to do what you want it to do. Then research and find the lens that fixes the problem. I find it disconcerting that you go from looking at an 18-200 to a 50mm. What are you trying to shoot that you are having an issue or can't shoot because of equipment? That's the question you should be answering. That way you create your lens roadmap.
Good advice....heck I will go as far as calling it great advice.

To the OP...I was also puzzled hearing you go from wanting the 18-200mm to now looking at the 50mm. Sounds like you have a case of L.A.S. (Lens Acquisition Syndrome)...it happens to the best of us.
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Lens acquisition syndrome can be dangerous. I get the urge to run out and buy new lenses. And OP, 3 months really isn't that long to think about which lens you need. In fact, if you don't have a clear idea already then you probably haven't identified what you really need yet. I usually sit with the idea of the lens I want for 6 months to a year at least. Sometimes longer.

As far as a walk around, the 18-200 is going to be heavy. It will also be softer in some parts of the range than your 18-200. That's a pretty typical trait of all in one lenses. The Sigma 18-200 is also really, really slow at f/6.3 on the long end which pretty much means it is an outdoor or flash only lens. The wide end is medium fast at f/3.5, but you're going to have to account for what the extra weight of the lens will do to your camera shake. It can make you loose a stop or two, depending on how steady you are. I'm not saying it's a bad choice, but think about those things when you're looking at it and make sure they don't conflict with what you hope to gain from adding the lens to your bag.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
lhermiston
Scare Floor Supervisor

Thanks for the advice everyone. Everything you're saying makes perfect sense. I think, mentally, I'm assuming that a different lens will suddenly make my photos better. Instead, I need to learn more about photograpphy itself.

I signed up for a photography class through the local community college. I'm going to give that a whirl before taking the dive on any additional glass.

Thanks for dealing with my craziness...
Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
SelfEmployedDebtFree
If I hadn't just been sitting in it; I'd swear you had lost your mind! (Tim Burton's Corpse Bride)

I own the Tamron 18-200mm version, which is essentially the exact same lens. I have to disagree about it being too heavy. I've taken mine to WDW at least 4 separate 8 day trips, and while it has its shortcomings, weight is NOT one of them. I've never even considered its weight. It a lot lighter than most of my primes. To me the lens is a love hate thing. I LOVE the weight, the feel, the all-in-one / never remove it from the camera aspects. But it sucks at perfect pictures. Getting a crystal clear picture that I feel is photographer grade is a task. I get home, upload all 2000+ pictures (yep Im one of those) and I find maybe 20 pictures I like and maybe 3 I really like (if that). Don't get me wrong. If I were an average Joe who had never owned a DSLR I would say they were all great pictures. But I'm not. Im an upper end amateur who has 15 or so lenses and who expects better. HOWEVER... I found a website that told how to set-up the camera for best results with this lens. I tried it out using the specs indicated and got much better pictures. Unfortunately the weather hasn't permitted any real good experimentation since. I would say its a excellent lens weight, and size wise. It looks really good on the camera, and you will NEVER miss a shot (but it does hate low light!!!) and it tends to creep a lot in terms of focus... But if your wanting to find amazing photographer grade pics... you'll be disappointed. I mean its a $300 lens brand new. Its not an $1800 lens. It is what it is. I'll post the specs I found online at a later point. Oh and if your using it on a Pentax K-X it casts a shadow when pointing downgrade at night. External flash or crop...

Favorite Walt Disney World drink: "Beverly" in Club Cool!

Cameras used: Olympus Stylus 410, Konica Minolta Dimage Z2, RED Pentax K-x DSLR
SelfEmployedDebtFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfEmployedDebtFree View Post
I own the Tamron 18-200mm version, which is essentially the exact same lens. I have to disagree about it being too heavy.
Didn't say it was TOO heavy, just that it was heavy. Compared to an 18-55 like the OP has been using the all in one lenses generally feel like bricks. The determination of too heavy or not is really subjective. The difference in weight is also a very real factor when it comes to camera shake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhermiston View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone. Everything you're saying makes perfect sense. I think, mentally, I'm assuming that a different lens will suddenly make my photos better. Instead, I need to learn more about photograpphy itself.

I signed up for a photography class through the local community college. I'm going to give that a whirl before taking the dive on any additional glass.

Thanks for dealing with my craziness...
Learning more about photography is the best way to improve your photos. Some people spend a lot of money on cameras and lenses before figuring that out.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: