Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #256
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borishack View Post
Yes, Disney conceptually could do something ground breaking. My point is their history over the last seven years or so has not been one of technological attraction innovation. In addition, doing something "better and entirely new" is going to require a lot of capital, which per my prior link is not something Mr. Iger is presently willing to provide to attraction development at WDW. Frankly, the article I referenced really underscores the strategic issue at Parks and Resorts right now: management is focused too little on customer experience and too much on trying to use technology in (what I feel is a futile attempt) to keep parks continually at 100% capacity and influence guest spending. But I digress. The core point is the biggest obstacle to "Pandora land" isn't anything I or the others who aren't thrilled with it say. Again, it's the Magic+ debacle sucking all the oxygen away from capital investment in the parks. And with all due respect, trying to diminish that point that by saying "Lutz isn't always right" is wishful spin - he is just reporting the facts on this one. A matter of taste. The HM and POC are considered dark ride masterpieces; both basically do precisely what you critique HP for (series of vignettes). Two issues: first, implying a single "IMAX" formatted journey is inherently superior to "visceral, shorter experiences" (Soarin' by the way is a series of short vignettes, not a single seamless flight) . Again, that's a matter of taste. Second, regarding "no feet in the way," the pictures of the ride technology on this thread show a typical theatre batch seating structure, ergo seats in consecutive rows. That means one can potentially experience obstruction if you aren't in front, as well as the fact many people inherently get frustrated if they can't get seats towards the center. I suspect an appreciation of those exact issues is what drove Universal to take the "everyone is up front" approach they did with HP. Last point: the Pandora gang here (excepting rteetz) seem to assume the e-ticket is going to be an extension of Soarin' technology. In other words, not a completely new theme park technology, but an enhancement of an existing one. Per my earlier point, if that is the plan (which we don't know, all the "Soarin phase II" discussion here is based on assumptions) Disney will still be behind firms that have a mindset to go beyond just enhancement.
Hey borishack
Here s a shocker i actually agree with you in regards to Disney and innovation in the last 7 years
FJ at universal is the best ride in the world in my opinion
Im a dvc owner who has made a lot of recent visits to universal
I still think pandora can be special but i we ll agree to disagree
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #257
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstonetim View Post
I know perfectly well how it works.

Yes they get front row seat... for a few seconds until it has to move on. Then you get walls and dungeons and other things until you get to the next screen and get so many seconds before you move on.

Don't get me wrong, it is an awesome ride, but there are tradeoffs. In Soarin you get one long experience in front of that screen which can be larger. In HP you get a set of shorter moving experiences. More visceral but also shorter.

Now if Disney can, as those pictures imply, create a Soarin with no feet in the way and provide more movement all while getting one long experience. Then they will have HP beat.

But of course Disney can't possibly do anything right. I bow before the superior intellect, Kahn.
~I tend to agree with this. It really doesn't look all at that impressive, it's like four Sum of all Thrill seats glued together or something.

~I can't wait to experience The World of Pandora coupled with a night experience in AK!

Last edited by DRDISNEYMD; 01-13-2014 at 07:41 AM.
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2014, 01:02 PM   #258
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD
~I tend to agree with this. It really doesn't look all at that impressive, it's like four Sum of all Thrill seats glued together or something.

~I can't wait to experience The World of Pandora coupled with a night experience in AK!
Yes, it is 4 seats on a robotic arm. It works well but not that earth shattering. I believe the extra feeling in the ride is due to the fact that the screens also move to some degree. I found that fascinating.

Maybe the ride in Pandora would be a larger version and provide a moving seamless experience! Can't wait!

"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are!" Buckaroo Banzai

1980 - Disneyland 1 day in USN; 1981-1983 1 day visits; 1984- 1996 1&2 day visits visiting family
2000 January - 4 Nights, 5 Days - All Star Movies
2012 January - 5 Nights, 6 Days - Caribbean Beach
2013 September - 9 Nights, 10 days - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room.
2014 November - 2 Nights All Star Movies & Christmas Party
Yellowstonetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:48 PM   #259
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Yes, it is 4 seats on a robotic arm. It works well but not that earth shattering. I believe the extra feeling in the ride is due to the fact that the screens also move to some degree. I found that fascinating.

Maybe the ride in Pandora would be a larger version and provide a moving seamless experience! Can't wait!
~I agree. It is a very neat concept.

~I'm going to keep an open mind -- as this is a first for Disney. And, from what I have seen and heard so far, regarding the plans for Avatarland -- it looks amazing. For me, this is worth getting excited about. I also commend Disney for reaching well outside their comfort zone.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #260
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I know perfectly well how it works.

Yes they get front row seat... for a few seconds until it has to move on. Then you get walls and dungeons and other things until you get to the next screen and get so many seconds before you move on.

Don't get me wrong, it is an awesome ride, but there are tradeoffs. In Soarin you get one long experience in front of that screen which can be larger. In HP you get a set of shorter moving experiences. More visceral but also shorter.

Now if Disney can, as those pictures imply, create a Soarin with no feet in the way and provide more movement all while getting one long experience. Then they will have HP beat.

But of course Disney can't possibly do anything right. I bow before the superior intellect, Kahn.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #261
Borishack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yes, those trivial, cheap non-film 3D elements ("walls and dungeons...")

Borishack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #262
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borishack

Yes, those trivial, cheap non-film 3D elements ("walls and dungeons...")
No they aren't cheap and are very well executed in the most part - some were just fancy walls. It's a great ride. But it does have design tradeoffs and limitations, as well as benefits.

Something could be done differently that would result in a great ride too, and what that illustration implies could be it.

1980 - Disneyland 1 day in USN; 1981-1983 1 day visits; 1984- 1996 1&2 day visits visiting family
Old 01-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #263
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

It's Official

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...nimal-kingdom/

Quote:
Earlier this week, leaders from Walt Disney Parks and Resorts and Lightstorm Entertainment kicked off the largest expansion in Disney’s Animal Kingdom history with a ceremonial groundbreaking for the park’s new AVATAR-inspired land with blue, Na’vi-inspired shovels.

In this photo illustration, they were joined by a Na’vi, showing the scale of characters from the “AVATAR” film.

The area, which is being designed by Walt Disney Imagineering in partnership with “AVATAR” creator James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment, will be unlike anything ever experienced at a Disney park. Guests will experience the wonders of Pandora when they fly with banshees and explore a rich natural environment with mountains that float and interactive plants that glow at night.

“Disney’s Animal Kingdom is already home to some of our guests’ favorite attractions,” said Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “With AVATAR, we are adding a spectacular new world and an exciting set of attractions unlike any our guests have experienced. The expansion now under way will make the park a true full-day, must-see experience.”

This week’s milestone is just the first step in a larger expansion for the park that will also include the debut of a new evening spectacular, as well as a nighttime version of Kilimanjaro Safaris.

Check out the video below for a look inside the ceremony, and be sure to follow the Disney Parks Blog for future updates on this exciting expansion.

AVATAR-land Groundbreaking Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oJ8CjnshVg
The shovels are officially in the ground.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #264
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Thanks for the post--I just hope they include adult beverages from other planets. I wonder if Joe was mad his shovel bent.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:23 AM   #265
DRDISNEYMD

Smile ~Theme par wars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
Thanks for the post--I just hope they include adult beverages from other planets. I wonder if Joe was mad his shovel bent.
~LOL. You are just too funny!

~I'm sorry but this "groundbreaking" thing is just another media ploy against Universal. Universal has backed Disney into a corner, yet again -- and this is yet another "reaction." Disney flat out refuses to be proactive.

~It's no coincidence that Universal's special webcast announcement for Diagon Alley is scheduled on January 23. Again, we get this knee jerk reaction from Disney for Avatarland's "groundbreaking" barely two weeks before the Diagon Alley special announcement.

~Disney's announcement sounds more like a reaction toward Universal, instead of a genuine update for park guests.

~Universal's announcement and marketing campaign is so well done, it upstages Disney in every way. They even have a special webpage just for fans to sign up and receive exclusive updates about the Diagon Alley expansion. This is a company that *adores* their patrons. It's so impressive to me. I'm very excited about Avatarland but deep down I know, it's only because of Universal not about the fans.

~Diagon Alley Update Page~

~I'm glad Comcast's CEO has waged war against Disney. It's looks like this is the only way we're going to get new stuff! Disney doesn't want to invest a dime in the parks and everyone knows it.

Last edited by DRDISNEYMD; 01-13-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #266
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
hmmm.......beer from Pandora...........now that could prove interesting!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #267
Yellowstonetim
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~I'm sorry but this "groundbreaking" thing is just another media ploy against Universal. Universal has backed Disney into a corner, yet again -- and this is yet another "reaction." Disney flat out refuses to be proactive.

~It's no coincidence that Universal's special webcast announcement for Diagon Alley is scheduled on January 23. Again, we get this knee jerk reaction from Disney for Avatarland's "groundbreaking" barely two weeks before the Diagon Alley special announcement.

~Disney's announcement sounds more like a reaction toward Universal, instead of a genuine update for park guests.

~Universal's announcement and marketing campaign is so well done, it upstages Disney in every way. They even have a special webpage just for fans to sign up and receive exclusive updates about the Diagon Alley expansion. This is a company that *adores* their patrons. It's so impressive to me. I'm very excited about Avatarland but deep down I know, it's only because of Universal not about the fans.

~I'm glad Comcast's CEO has waged war against Disney. It's looks like this is the only way we're going to get new stuff! Disney doesn't want to invest a dime in the parks and everyone knows it.
Disney has been working on long term plans for improving AK and HS for some time. Backed into a corner by Universal?! Everything Disney does is in response to Universal?! This isn't just a last ditch effort to respond to Uni and stay out of receivership.

And sure Universal is going gangbuster with building up HP. They don't have anything else. They have to stay viable.

HP2 had better be good and then they need to go on to something else, because when Pandora opens and then Star Wars at HS, the table will be set and Sea World and Universal will be fighting over the decreasing table scraps.

Of course, either way you look at it, it is all good for us. Universal will have more for us to enjoy and Disney will expand AK and HS. It is all going to be good. Some of us think it will be great, awesome, even. But it will at the very least be good.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #268
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Disney has been working on long term plans for improving AK and HS for some time. Backed into a corner by Universal?! Everything Disney does is in response to Universal?! This isn't just a last ditch effort to respond to Uni and stay out of receivership.

And sure Universal is going gangbuster with building up HP. They don't have anything else. They have to stay viable.

HP2 had better be good and then they need to go on to something else, because when Pandora opens and then Star Wars at HS, the table will be set and Sea World and Universal will be fighting over the decreasing table scraps.

Of course, either way you look at it, it is all good for us. Universal will have more for us to enjoy and Disney will expand AK and HS. It is all going to be good. Some of us think it will be great, awesome, even. But it will at the very least be good.
Yellowstonetim...exactly..."HP2 had better be good and then they need to go on to something else". It seems that a lot on these boards think Disney needs to build something big and new every year while all Universal has to do is expand HP and build another resort they are gonna eat Disney's lunch.
OnSpaceshipEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #269
Borishack
Mouseketeer

Quote:
when Pandora opens
Which given the experience with Mine Train will be sometime around 2020 or later....

Quote:
and then Star Wars at HS
We all missed the official announcement that Disney was doing anything new with Star Wars at WDW. Can you please document your speculative claim? And no, we want something more specific than vague, non-committal "teasers" from Iger or some lower level flunky at a D23 event.
Borishack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #270
rteetz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borishack View Post
Which given the experience with Mine Train will be sometime around 2020 or later.... We all missed the official announcement that Disney was doing anything new with Star Wars at WDW. Can you please document your speculative claim? And no, we want something more specific than vague, non-committal "teasers" from Iger or some lower level flunky at a D23 event.
The new fantasyland construction as a whole took about 4 years so with that I wouldn't think pandora would be any later than 2018.

Get Your Elbows Off the Table!!! A marathon weekend TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3369967
rteetz is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: