Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #196
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suger Mag View Post
I don't get the hype for Australia either... don't get me wrong, I am not hating on the 'Land Down Under'... personally I would LOVE to go to Australia, but I find the repeated push for an Australia expansion odd... especially considering that is seems a lot of AK hating folks already complain the zoo-ish or animal portion of Animal Kingdom is boring and not worth their theme park time... If you are not going to focus on critters then what? An Ayers Rock ride?
Personally, I don't understand the people that don't like the animal treks. They are some of the most interesting and certainly best themed areas in a any park

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #197
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
Personally, I don't understand the people that don't like the animal treks. They are some of the most interesting and certainly best themed areas in a any park
i agree...love the article on new night time show at your site..did you write that or your brother? that would be a huge hit in my opinion
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 AM   #198
Suger Mag
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
I agree, I also love that aspect of AK... and the animals were the reason I chose AKV as my home when we got into DVC.

Magic Kingdom and River Country 1980 * Grand Floridian Grand Gathering/ Wonder Cruise 2008 * Animal Kingdom Villas:40th B-day/ Food and Wine 2009 * Grand Californian Experimental Biology 2010 * Animal Kingdom Villas:Thanksgiving 2011* 20th Anniversary Fantasy Caribbean Cruise July 2013* Spring Break Cruise on the Wonder March 2014

Suger Mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #199
TuneTownMagic
DIS Veteran

I've read a lot of people around the internet and Dis stating that they don't think Avatar is iconic or enduring enough to really be a success as a themed land. I just hope that's not true. While it hasn't really gone down as a classic yet, maybe the upcoming sequel that's supposed to happen will reignite the excitement for Avatar. And I'm hoping that if Disney really does invest all the time and money we are hearing about, as well as make it conceptually and visually stunning enough, it will be a lasting success and not just entertaining in the short term. I think it could be worth it if they really make it stand out, and if they utilize new ideas and new technology. People seem to want the next big thing, and after seeing Wizarding World at IOA, I think that's gotta be done.

It's true that Disney does so well in large part because of the timeless characters that only Disney has brought and continues to bring to people around the world...its hard to replicate that kind of thing. But I try to keep in mind that there are some attractions at Disney that aren't directly related to characters and movies that people would consider timeless or super beloved.
TuneTownMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #200
MJMcBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
i agree...love the article on new night time show at your site..did you write that or your brother? that would be a huge hit in my opinion
I wrote that but the information came from my pals, the Disney Hipsters

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Old 06-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #201
MJMcBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suger Mag View Post
I agree, I also love that aspect of AK... and the animals were the reason I chose AKV as my home when we got into DVC.
technically Saratoga is my home but I almost always use my points at Kidani now

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Old 06-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #202
OklahomaTourist
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuneTownMagic View Post
I've read a lot of people around the internet and Dis stating that they don't think Avatar is iconic or enduring enough to really be a success as a themed land.
Count me among them.

When I started catching up on Disney rumors and kept reading about "Avatarland," I thought to myself, "what on earth are they talking about?" and I initially actually thought it was some huge conceptual expansion on DisneyQuest using avatars in some fantastic, interactive, immersive system, but no, its about the blue alien movie. And I couldn't believe it. I mean, here is Disney, with these incredible resources (now including Star Wars) at their disposal, and they're going to make a park/land/significant concept out of Avatar??

I suppose the right mix of imagination and creativity could do something interesting with it, although that movie interested me not in the slightest, nor does the concept of a land based upon it. Whatever they do, it had darned well better have about 6,000% more imagination mixed into it than what went into New FantasyLand, which is best summed up by my daughter's reaction once we'd made the loop around it: "That's IT??" As someone else said, it looks beautiful, but there's nothing to do. They've plopped $400M on statuary and facades.

For every one person thinking AvatarLand is a good idea, I've got to believe there are at least five, maybe ten, who are ready to plunk down serious cash right now if a Star Wars land were to about to open up. SW is a huge social icon the world around...Avatar...big individual movie, but social icon?? Not so much.
OklahomaTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #203
johnGorski
Mouseketeer

Agreed with 400 million spent on FLE, however I was told construction cost to blend it into the rest of the park was a real challenge.
johnGorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #204
johnGorski
Mouseketeer

There is a video with james Cameron and joe Rhodes on screamscape going over this project in detail. This is going to be very detailed looking fo forward to 2017. Think TDO is going to deliver
johnGorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #205
boreas154
DisDads #728

I really think that most of the issue folks have is related to using the 'Avatar' name.

If on the other hand they had said:

"Our Imagineers are at work in conjunction with a major Hollywood director on an Animal Kingdom expansion. This area will be based off a mythical vibrant and colorful world. Featuring floating mountains, bioluminescent plants, and fantastical creatures. This land will appeal to all of our senses. Also in the works are new rides and experiences for our guests that tie in wonderfully with our overall vision of the Animal Kingdom park."

etc, etc...

Even if you had never heard of (or seen) Avatar, I think this would have gone over better.
boreas154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #206
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnGorski View Post
There is a video with james Cameron and joe Rhodes on screamscape going over this project in detail. This is going to be very detailed looking fo forward to 2017. Think TDO is going to deliver

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #207
arthropodtodd
Mouseketeer

I showed my wife the pics, she hasn't been interested in the whole Avatarland idea, and even she is interested at this point.

WL 2004 - Wedding and Honeymoon there
WL - 2006
WL - 2009
CR - 2011
WL - 2012
WL Club Level - 2013
WL - 2014 -Summer

Coming next:
POP & AKL 2014 - Winter

In the pipe:
2015 - fall
2016 - fall
arthropodtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 PM   #208
Teamubr
Racing around the country with a stop at WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnGorski View Post
This is going to be very detailed looking forward to 2017.
Unless Cameron has changed things up, I read where the next 2 Avatars were being (have been) filmed together. With release dates in 2015 and 2017. The timing of this works out well to the WDW 2017 plans. If the next 2 movies are as successful as the original, I think this could be gold for Disney.

j
Old 10-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #209
old lady
DIS Veteran

http://travel.yahoo.com/ideas/first-...JOq6_eSryhpYMA
Old 10-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #210
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamubr View Post
Unless Cameron has changed things up, I read where the next 2 Avatars were being (have been) filmed together. With release dates in 2015 and 2017. The timing of this works out well to the WDW 2017 plans. If the next 2 movies are as successful as the original, I think this could be gold for Disney.

j
Well...Cameron has yet to make a flop. He occupies the top two spots on the all-time box-office list. Chances are...these will be monsters as well.
OnSpaceshipEarth is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: