Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Exclamation Comcast CEO: Universal will compete aggressively with Disney

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,7714951.story

Quote:
By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
6:14 p.m. EST, January 7, 2014

The top executive at Comcast Corp. signaled Tuesday that the company expects to win theme-park market share away from industry leader Walt Disney Co. and other rival park owners.

"We're doubling down on theme parks," Comcast Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Brian Roberts told analysts during a conference in Las Vegas that was broadcast online. "We think that there is a lot of 'there' there in the theme-park business for many years to come and that we have a low market share — and only one way to go."

Comcast's Universal Parks & Resorts operates the third-busiest collection of theme parks in the world, with combined attendance of more than 36 million a year, according to estimates compiled by the Themed Entertainment Association and consulting company AECOM. But it remains far behind the global leader, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, which draws more than 126 million theme-park visits per year.

(United Kingdom-based Merlin Entertainments Group, whose attractions include Legoland parks and Madame Tussauds wax museums, is No. 2, with about 54 million visitors.)

NBCUniversal's U.S. theme parks — Universal Studios Florida and Universal's Islands of Adventure, both at Universal Orlando, and Universal Studios Hollywood in Southern California — rank behind only parks at Walt Disney World and Disneyland in attendance.

One reason Comcast is bullish: the impending launch of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter — Diagon Alley, a new land expected to open by summer in Universal Studios Florida. It is a follow-up to the original Wizarding World of Harry Potter, which has delivered record attendance and profit growth since opening in mid-2010.

Comcast also will open its fourth and largest on-site hotel at Universal Orlando, the 1,800-room Cabana Bay Beach Resort, within weeks. Roberts called the hotel, a joint venture with Loews Hotels, the largest hotel under construction in North America, and noted that "we're so underinvested in hotels right now."

With Cabana Bay, Universal Orlando will have about 4,200 on-site hotel rooms, compared with about 26,000 rooms and time-share suites at Disney World. Comcast has said it could have 10,000 to 15,000 rooms in Orlando.

Disney would not comment on Roberts' remarks.

Industry watchers once expected that Comcast would try to shed the theme parks after it acquired a majority stake in NBCUniversal from General Electric Co. in 2009. But the Philadelphia-based cable giant — which bought out the rest of GE's stake last year — has since come to view the business as an untapped growth engine, thanks primarily to the financial success of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Comcast has since begun construction on a Wizarding World clone at Universal Studios Hollywood.

"The big surprise has been the theme-park business," Roberts said.

jrgarcia@tribune.com or 407-420-5414
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
twebber55
DIS Veteran

This is great for us fans
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #3
DLFT
Mouseketeer

I agree. As long as competition remains strong, the visitors will win.
Summer 2003- Ft. Wilderness Cabins Jan 2005- All Star Sports
Dec 2005- Ft. Wilderness Cabins (with friends) May 2007- Ft. Wilderness Cabins
Winter 07/08- Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds/Cabins March 2009- Ft. Wilderness Cabins
Winter 2009- Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds Winter 2011- POFQ/Ft. Wilderness Cabins (with friends)
March 2013- POFQ Dec. 2013- Ft. Wilderness Cabins May 2014-All Star Sports December 2014-Ft. Wilderness Cabins
DLFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
Maineiak
Mouseketeer

No doubt the Disney execs already knew this. I am curious to see how they respond though. Iger hit the ground running with his idea to buy Pixar, so I'm curious what he has up his sleeve. More importantly than the Pixar or Marvel purchase is the fact that theme park revenue is 2nd only to the cable network revenue. Long term, the acquisitions Disney did/will make could prove beneficial to the parks.
Maineiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
FlipHipster
Blackbelt in Mixed Martial Arts and Crafts

This is awesome and I agree I hope the mouse has some more cards to play. I mean it doesn't get much more in your face than that. Wonder if all the additional rooms they are adding prompted the current changes at WDW with MM+

Last edited by FlipHipster; 01-08-2014 at 09:40 AM.
FlipHipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLFT View Post
I agree. As long as competition remains strong, the visitors will win.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #7
nugov2
DIS Veteran

I think that is great. We were so impressed with our IOA/Uni experience. I think WDW should think twice about what they are doing/not doing. It may not be for 10-20 yrs but I wouldn't be surprised if they start to see a decline. I have posted this in the past, but besides MK(which is pretty much even in my book besides the nostalgia factor), IOA is far superior to any of the parks WDW has to offer(IMO). It was much cleaner(most likely b/c of crowd size difference), City Walk amazing and people were just as friendly. They offer more perks(valet at the park, express pass) that still an upcharge are within reason and overall I feel more valued vs. number.
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #8
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Universal also has true 4+ star hotels versus Disney's attempt at a 3.5 star at 5 star prices (AKA Grand Floridian). Universal's ability to capitalize on their hotels and offer a unique high class experience is what may help differentiate them.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran

Yes...I say bring it on!

I've never been much of a fan of Universal but their aggressive stance will light a fire under Disney's butt.

Get ready to rumble!
OnSpaceshipEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #10
OldsDr
DIS Veteran

I have always been of the understanding that in the past there was no real competition in the Orlando area theme park industry; Improvements at one would drive attendance at the others because a lot of people try to cram everything in.

But, I have also been comparing WDW of today to the US Auto Industry of the 70s and 80s. That is living on its reputation and girth while do nothing to proactively keep customer loyalty. We all know how that turned out.

This decision by Comcast may actually mean real competition, and they may be to WDW what Toyota and Volkswagen were to GM and Ford in the 70s and 80s.
OldsDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldsDr View Post
I have always been of the understanding that in the past there was no real competition in the Orlando area theme park industry; Improvements at one would drive attendance at the others because a lot of people try to cram everything in.

But, I have also been comparing WDW of today to the US Auto Industry of the 70s and 80s. That is living on its reputation and girth while do nothing to proactively keep customer loyalty. We all know how that turned out.

This decision by Comcast may actually mean real competition, and they may be to WDW what Toyota and Volkswagen were to GM and Ford in the 70s and 80s.
Maybe.

I think that if Disney *wanted* to they could really CRUSH Universal. If they were to slash prices, add new lands and attractions for a few years it would bring Universal to it's knees. They have the land, resources and *brand-power* to do this. To date, they haven't felt the need to do this...but if Disney starts to really feel "threatened"?

Look out.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
DWJoshua
Mouseketeer

THIS is exactly what we need. I've said this several times recently, but Disney has got to get it's groove back. Universal is starting to look like true competition now - as opposed to in the past when they've been a distant, distant, distant second. Current numbers obviously show that WDW isn't feeling it yet, but I believe they will. There's a big delay in how long it takes for guests to start feeling the stagnation.

Right now, there's almost nothing new and exciting happening in WDW. New Fantasyland is okay, but nowhere near what Universal has done with the Harry Potter IP. Hopefully this type of aggressive, public competition will kick Disney into gear. Otherwise, we may actually see that major shift in market share in the coming years.

No matter what happens, the visitors win. If Universal keeps expanding, it means more quality options in Orlando. If Disney does nothing, it will still be a good place to visit, but we'll at least have other options. If both companies dump boatloads of money into their parks, we win big time!

Past Trips:
Nov. '95 * Dec. '98 * Dec '01 * Mar. '04 * Jan. '05 * Jan. '07 * Apr. '07 * Jan. '08 * Oct. '08 * Oct. '09 * Jan. '10 * Jan. '12 * Dec. '13
1/06-5/06 - WDW CP
DWJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #13
OnSpaceshipEarth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWJoshua View Post
THIS is exactly what we need. I've said this several times recently, but Disney has got to get it's groove back. Universal is starting to look like true competition now - as opposed to in the past when they've been a distant, distant, distant second. Current numbers obviously show that WDW isn't feeling it yet, but I believe they will. There's a big delay in how long it takes for guests to start feeling the stagnation.

Right now, there's almost nothing new and exciting happening in WDW. New Fantasyland is okay, but nowhere near what Universal has done with the Harry Potter IP. Hopefully this type of aggressive, public competition will kick Disney into gear. Otherwise, we may actually see that major shift in market share in the coming years.

No matter what happens, the visitors win. If Universal keeps expanding, it means more quality options in Orlando. If Disney does nothing, it will still be a good place to visit, but we'll at least have other options. If both companies dump boatloads of money into their parks, we win big time!
I think your last option is what's going to happen. Star Wars Land(which is almost certain to happen) and Avatarland is already a huge counter-punch.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #14
Bob Roberts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnSpaceshipEarth View Post
I think your last option is what's going to happen. Star Wars Land(which is almost certain to happen) and Avatarland is already a huge counter-punch.
I would like to share your optimism Spaceship Earth, but I doubt Disney will ever counter with a thunderous blow. An old saying in business is that you have got to spend money to make money. However Disney has strayed far away from this philosophy in the past 8 years. The thing is they have such a loyal brand following they can get away with this, for now.

I think a counter punch in their minds these days would be to add a Magical micro chip on the Magic Bands. This microchip will give you all the ketchup, mustard, mayo, salt and pepper, for all your meals for only $35 dollars extra per person for your entire stay!!!!! Now if you want to go on the luxury plan which includes extras like salad dressing, blue cheese, peanut butter etc, that will be $55 per person!!! The micro chip will be in the shape of Tinkerbell and they can call it the Magical Nickel and Dime Fairy!!!! An even better idea would be to have two fairy's, one named Nicky and the other one Dimey. Then they can sell t-shirts, mugs, and all sorts of garbage with Nicky and Dimey on them and people will buy the stuff with their Visa cards!!!!

They should look into hiring me!!!!

Last edited by Bob Roberts; 01-08-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Bob Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #15
artesian
DIS Veteran

For me and my fam it's already happening. 5 years ago going to US/IoA would never cross our minds. This 10 day trip I have coming up in August has me in US/IOA 3-4 days and a possible 4-5 in WDW. The kids beg every trip to go to US. Whoever said Disney needs to add more now is right. They are outright losing 4-5 days of admissions from me. I might be in the minority being I go every year but you can't deny more of the veterans that have been might seek entertain in other areas. The purest can tell me the #'s don't show this but I blame that on more and more first or few timers that all they want to do is WDW. MB and FP+ when I go this trip will influence this to even possibly less visits on mutilpe days. I'm trying to keep an open mind and hope thing change in the near future.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: