Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
johnnycake
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30

Avatar Land will be amazing

I know the future Avatar land is not popular amongst Disney fans. I think once its open it will be mind blowing.
johnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
I know the future Avatar land is not popular amongst Disney fans. I think once its open it will be mind blowing.
The plans to move TFOTLK to Africa is awesome. The path from Africa to area becoming avatarand is also cool. Whatever goes in that space is better than camp Minnie Mickey.

Lets hope the ride they come up with is better than anything in new fantasyland.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #3
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer
 
Xclusive2WDW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 443

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
The plans to move TFOTLK to Africa is awesome. The path from Africa to area becoming avatarand is also cool. Whatever goes in that space is better than camp Minnie Mickey.

Lets hope the ride they come up with is better than anything in new fantasyland.
This
__________________
Commando Member #216
Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Xclusive2WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #4
johnnycake
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30

Agree. The main E ticket needs to be top notch. I have been seeing concepts of a sorin on steroids type ride, that looks nice. I was actually hoping for a boat type attraction using ride technology of dinosaur and indy. In the plans there is a boat type ride, it would great they use that concept. I am glad FOTK is rumored of relocating, hear that theater was a temp anyhow due to a potential beastly kingdom.
johnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
Agree. The main E ticket needs to be top notch. I have been seeing concepts of a sorin on steroids type ride, that looks nice. I was actually hoping for a boat type attraction using ride technology of dinosaur and indy. In the plans there is a boat type ride, it would great they use that concept. I am glad FOTK is rumored of relocating, hear that theater was a temp anyhow due to a potential beastly kingdom.
Two rides and some nice theming is all I have seen so far. The soarin type ride would be extremely popular. It would suck up a lot of FP+ reservations.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
johnnycake
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30

I hope for some nice concept art soon, we should see some this year. I think now there is some pressure in what universal is doing as of late.
johnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE
 
ChrisFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Tampa, FL, US
Posts: 7,581

I still give it about a 25% chance of actually happening
__________________



Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 AM   #8
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycake View Post
I hope for some nice concept art soon, we should see some this year. I think now there is some pressure in what universal is doing as of late.
You would think, but I wonder sometimes.

I guess I better watch the movie.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #9
johnnycake
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30

Avatar is not even in my top 25 favorite movies. When I seen it in 3D in the theaters I found it more of a attraction that put you on the edge of your seat. When it came out on blue ray I fell asleep half way through it. Great visuals could make this land great.
johnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #10
DizCaptain
°o° Disney Enthusiast
 
DizCaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Maryland
Posts: 611

My favorite rumor about this project is that of a flying type roller coaster. Given the role of flight in the film, they could really create a unique experience with that coaster type and some fancy tech, I'm really hoping they'll break out of the mold they've created in recent years.
__________________
Dan

"Laughter is America's most important export." -Walt Disney


DizCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #11
rutgers1
DIS Veteran
 
rutgers1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,486

It is my opinion that Disney hasn't produced anything to match or exceed Spider Man at Universal from a technology standpoint. It debuted 13 years ago. Since then, Universal has created yet another ride, Harry Potter, that hasn't been matched or exceeded by Disney.

I gather that the new Fantasy Land refurb is supposed to be Disney's answer to Harry Potter Land. Although it will be a great addition to the park, I don't see it as meeting nor exceeding that which Universal created.

What Avatar Land has going against it is that few people have the connection to Avatar that they do to Harry Potter. It was wildly popular in the theaters, but never had that same lasting connection to the audience. That is why I feel an investment in Star Wars would be money better spent. Not only could Disney meet the standard set by Universal, but it could also exceed it in a big way.

Yet, barring a switch over to a Star Wars land, I am in agreement that whatever they cook up has to be mind blowing.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #12
granmanh603
DIS Veteran
 
granmanh603's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,073

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgers1 View Post
It is my opinion that Disney hasn't produced anything to match or exceed Spider Man at Universal from a technology standpoint. It debuted 13 years ago. Since then, Universal has created yet another ride, Harry Potter, that hasn't been matched or exceeded by Disney.

I gather that the new Fantasy Land refurb is supposed to be Disney's answer to Harry Potter Land. Although it will be a great addition to the park, I don't see it as meeting nor exceeding that which Universal created.

What Avatar Land has going against it is that few people have the connection to Avatar that they do to Harry Potter. It was wildly popular in the theaters, but never had that same lasting connection to the audience. That is why I feel an investment in Star Wars would be money better spent. Not only could Disney meet the standard set by Universal, but it could also exceed it in a big way.

Yet, barring a switch over to a Star Wars land, I am in agreement that whatever they cook up has to be mind blowing.
Went to Fantasyland preview in Nov. what a boring bust that is. Very pretty but will never set foot in it again. IMHO a waste of space can only see interest in 6 or 7 and under. Mermaid like Nemo and the Story thing, would never wait again to do that. I hope the "roller coaster" is at least like Thunder but not hopeful
__________________


granmanh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #13
johnnycake
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30

I agree with the FLE being a waste of space and $400 million. Wife and daughter loved it, however we have yet to see the mine train and maybe surprised. Star Wars land at Disney Hollywood studios would be a strong answer for universal and I'm sure we will see this soon.
johnnycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15,974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
I still give it about a 25% chance of actually happening
If that....
__________________
For the love of Disney...
wiigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
michelleiada
DIS Veteran
 
michelleiada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,652

Avatar did nothing for me at all however, if Disney does it right it could be amazing. I agree Star Wars would draw more crowds and be a better answer for the competitions Harry Potter. Haven't seen new Fantasy Land yet and hope I'm not disappointed when I do.
__________________
Michelle 1988 offsite, 1990 offsite, 2001 offsite, 2007 WDW Swan, 2009 Beach Club Villas, 2011 Beach Club Villas, 2012 Bonnet Creek for AAU Basketball Nationals, 2012 Port Orleans Riverside

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: