Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Disneylover79
I'm a cheap date!
Thinks Dr. House is sexy!

Throwing a baby shower.....

I have the privilege to throw my best friend a baby shower. Can someone show me where to start? Please give me any ideas for games, prizes, themes etc. TIA
Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Do you use pinterest? If not check it out. Just search baby shower and you will get more ideas than you'll know what to do with
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

One of the games we had at a recent baby shower was to guess the flavor of baby food. Each person was given a paper plate, a spoon, and six different types of baby food to taste. They wrote down what they they thought each flavor tasted like. The person who had the most accurate guesses won.

I've also played a game where someone brings out a tray of baby items. Everyone is able to look at the tray for a minute or two, then the tray is removed. Everyone writes down all of the items they remember were on the tray. The person who writes down the most items wins.

Another game is to guess the number of items in a jar.

There is also a game where everyone gets a sheet of scrambled words that have to do with a baby and they try to unscramble the words.

Have fun!
Bluestars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
SLP958
DIS Veteran

One shower I recently attended asked everyone to write down tips or encouragements for the mom, and something they wished for the baby's life. They were hung on a clothes line for everyone to read. It was extremely sweet. The mom got some wonderful suggestions. I believe the hostesses put them in a book for her afterward.
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:58 AM   #5
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Do everyone a favor and don't play those silly games. Everyone just wants to eat and watch her open the gifts.

chloelovesdisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 AM   #6
LongLiveDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney
Do everyone a favor and don't play those silly games. Everyone just wants to eat and watch her open the gifts.
Couldn't agree more.

Me DM DF DSis DB
LongLiveDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

Gift bingo. If a game must be played this seems to be the least obnoxious. And if someone doesn't want to play, they don't.
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JoGo* View Post
Gift bingo. If a game must be played this seems to be the least obnoxious. And if someone doesn't want to play, they don't.
This works if it is a decently large shower and you know she is actually getting the gifts listed on the bingo cards. Plus, as the pp said, people don't have to play.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #9
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover79 View Post
I have the privilege to throw my best friend a baby shower. Can someone show me where to start? Please give me any ideas for games, prizes, themes etc. TIA
Baby showers are very easy, pick a location and menu, choose a color/decoration style and use it for the invites, balloons, flowers, etc.. I toss all the favors I get so don't think they're necessary, but there's a million ideas for them (google baby shower favors).

I've been to small pot luck baby showers in someone's home all the way to multicourse sit down meals in a country club or restaurant with an open bar. It's whatever your budget is, they're all nice.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:10 AM   #10
DisneyJen0504
Married my Prince Charming. Mommy to Avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney
While I can take or leave many of the games, I always suggest playing one or two. Games typically take place before the food or during gifts. I always hear guests comment that they wish there was baby bingo or something, showers are honestly pretty boring. Games that guests can choose not to play if they don't want to are always a good idea.

As for favors, I too toss many of them. People always enjoy edible favors like candy bars with a personalized wrapper or baby themed chocolate lollipops are some ideas. Skip the candles or baby theme trinkets.
The Carsons Head to Disney World 2012
Girls Trip: Dancing in Walt Disney World 2009
DisneyJen0504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I don't overly mind the games. For a small shower, I think they are tedious and I'd rather not. But I think if there is a very large number of people at the shower, they are good "ice breakers." They get people laughing and paying attention to the other guests. They are good conversation starters between people who might not know each other.

I will tell you about a game my cousin did at a recent shower. It was kind of gross and no one was thrilled about it so, if you see it on Pinterest, avoid it.

She took 6 different disposable diapers and put a candy bar in them. Microwaved them till they melted and then taped them up like a dirty diaper. She then passed them around and we had to open and sniff the diaper and guess which type of candy bar it was: Twix, Almond Joy, Hershey's, etc.

It was surprisingly difficult to guess them, very weird, and some people got queasy.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #12
thedonduck
DIS Veteran

Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!

We played the "Price is Right" with 10 baby items at a lot of showers lately. We all had a sheet of paper and pen and then showed us 10 necessary items (think like baby shampoo, lotion, pacifiers, etc) and we had to guess the cost of each one. Then whoever had the closest TOTAL for all of the items won. The Mother-to-be got many necessary items and it was an easy game to play!
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
aprilgail2
Ikea- Swedish for CRAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
I agree- you always hear a chorus of groans at them when the hostess says "we are going to play a game"! Those stupid games are brutal. Atthe last baby shower I went to the hostess when to a table, gave you a slip of paper to write your name on and then put them in a bowl, pulled out a name and you won a prize, then she went to the next table and did the same - etc--that was fun. And after that they told everyone to lift up their plates and under each plate was a lottery scratch off tickets, so that was fun seeing if anyone won anything. Thats the extent of "games" that I like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
Baby showers are very easy, pick a location and menu, choose a color/decoration style and use it for the invites, balloons, flowers, etc.. I toss all the favors I get so don't think they're necessary, but there's a million ideas for them (google baby shower favors).
Thats what I was thinking- usually we just go to the restaurant/party room and they handle everything, some even throw in decorating too so you just have to show up! I don't think I have been to one in someones home in the past 20 years. I also know that varies state to state but you never ever have a shower here without a full sit down meal or at least a buffet full meal.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #14
Rylee
DIS Veteran

My daughter had 2 baby showers. (Different sides of the family and different locations.)

At one shower, we only did one game. At the other shower, we did an activity, we decorated "onesie" under-shirts.

We played, "Guess the waist size." We used it as a way for everyone to introduce themselves and tell their relationship to the Mommy-to-be.

Have a roll or two of party streamer. Go around to each guest and have them measure out and then cut or tear a length of the streamer to come as close as possible to the Mom-to-be's waistline. After each guest has their streamer, have the Mom-to-be stand in the middle of the room. Have guest, one at a time, take their streamer up to wrap around the Mom-to-be's waistline, (like a measuring tape.) As each guest goes up to the Mom-to-be, have them introduce themselves to everyone and tell of their relationship or how they know the new Mommy. The winner is the one with the streamer closest to her actual waist size.

My daughter is very petite, barely 100 pounds. Even pregnant, she was a tiny little thing with just a baby bump out front, so this game didn't make her feel self-conscious, and we had a lot of fun. If the new Mom is sensitive about the weight gained, you'd probably want to choose a different game.

At the other shower, we didn't play any games but we had an activity. We bought a bunch of plain white onesies under-shirts in different sizes. We had fabric pens and markers with some fun stencils, and anyone that wanted to, decorated a under-shirt with cute designs and sayings. String a clothes line to hang to dry. They look so cute.

Do you know if she is expecting a boy or girl?

&

Last edited by Rylee; 01-06-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
JDX4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylee View Post

At the other shower, we didn't play any games but we had an activity. We bought a bunch of plain white onesies under-shirts in different sizes. We had fabric pens and markers with some fun stencils, and anyone that wanted to, decorated a under-shirt with cute designs and sayings. String a clothes line to e hang to dry. They look so cute.
I love this idea! How cute! And then the baby ends up with lots of adorable onesies.

Another idea for a game is give everyone a mini clothes pin on a string necklace. If you catch someone crossing their legs, you get to steal their clothes pin(s) and add it to your necklace. Whoever winds up with the most at the end wins a prize. The little girls at the shower usually love to do this game, and usually end up winning.

WDW Summers of 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2011, 2014
Feb. of 2008, 2009

Last edited by JDX4; 01-06-2013 at 03:01 PM.
JDX4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: