Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #91
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaMadchen View Post
I'm only doing it out of curiosity to see how accurate they are on the measuring sticks outside the ride. I do not plan to create an issue with it at all.
Ok. I just don't see a point in it. If your tape measure says that the official one is off, what good does it do you? I would think it would just be upsetting and cause more stress.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #92
Keegansmommy
Mouseketeer

Extremely strict in my experience. Last trip my DS was literally a fraction of an inch too short for Everest and they wouldn't let him on. Like mabye 1/16th of an inch. He LOVED it this time though!

So much fun we're going AGAIN!

1985 - offsite 2004 - All Star Music (honeymoon)
1991 - offsite 2006 - All Star Sports
1998 - offsite 2008 - Pop Century
2009 - Pop Century
2010 - Pop Century
2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2013 - Leaving New Year's Day! Surprise Christmas present for our boys. - Port Orleans French Quarter
Keegansmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #93
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaMadchen View Post

I will be bringing my own tape measure to see how accurate they are anyway.
Who's to say your tape measure is accurate?

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #94
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

They are strict, and will ( I have seen it) ask kids to take off shoes (don't stuff them) or thick soled sandals, flatten poofy hair and try to stick a paper between the head and bar. Don't fight the CM's about it, why ruin your day and theirs.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:56 AM   #95
Unca_Scrooge
I'm not an Uncle but I am a Scrooge.

All you parents trying to sneak by the height requirement, that can be construed as criminal child endangerment and you could be arrested if the child gets injured because of it.
Unca_Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #96
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommak1 View Post
My daughter is just slightly under 42 inches. Are they flexible at all, or should I prepare her in advance for not being able to ride things that have 42 inch restriction?
~It's worth repeating that Disney is very strict about height requirements. With that said, at 42 inches your DD will be tall enough for the majority of rides at WDW.

~The height requirement for Space Mountain, Expedition Everest & Mission Space is 44 inches & 48 inches for Primeval Whirl & Rock n Roller Coaster. Your DD can ride pretty much everything else in the parks. Have fun!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #97
vikkil70
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=maxiesmom;47135522]Your child's head just needs to hit the bar. That is it. However, even if a piece of paper can fit between your child's head and the bar (note it is their head, and not their hair!) they will turn you away.

This is the experience we had with our DS 6. In the fall he was measured at 48 inches at Kings Dominion but I thought the person was being a bit generous. On our trip this past December he was measured at RnRC and the Cast Member must have measured him at least 3-4 times and it was barely a papers width between his head and the bar but she turned him away. She was flattening out his hair (which is not very poofy to begin with), having him stand up as straight as he could, etc. She felt really bad about it but we told her it was ok. We noticed he was in his sandals and when we went back that night he had changed into his sneakers and we tried one more time and he got measured again and this time was told he was good to go.

On a funnier note, we went to AK the next day and DS wanted to try Primeval Whirl, so we went and he got measured. Again he was just barely let through, and told he may get measured again at the ride itself. When the CM was deciding whether or not to let him through, my DS 8 asked me why his brother was getting checked again when he was let onto RnRC the night before. The CM looked at me and told me RnRC was not a 48 inch ride. I just smiled becuase she had not okayed my little one to go on yet, but I thought it was funny. My older son wanted to tell her that it was 48inches to get onto RnRC but I just shushed him.
vikkil70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #98
Tormania
Mouseketeer

Sad to read all the stories of parents trying to cheat the system. I guess they figure that they paid money to do to WDW and they should be allowed to do whatever they want, sad society we have.

My son turns 3 next month and we will be going to WDW in 11 months. He's been measured at the Dr's office between 37.5 and 39 inches tall in the last month. I figure that he should get over 40 inches within the next 11 months and thus be able to ride all but the 44"+ big rides. But I can't even fathom trying to scam his way onto a ride. Luckily our trip should fall where he should be comfortably past the 40" mark even with several height checks.
Tormania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #99
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unca_Scrooge View Post
All you parents trying to sneak by the height requirement, that can be construed as criminal child endangerment and you could be arrested if the child gets injured because of it.

If thats the case...Orlando area courts would be full....NOT gonna happen.
It is an age old tradition the world over to get kids not tall enough on certain rides. Besides...even back in 1976 my dad was trying to figure out a away to get me on Space Mountain....So, its nothing new, No big deal.
alecshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #100
Jasonkat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahJN View Post
My girls will be 6 in April. One of them is almost 40 inches (no shoes) and the other 2 are just over 40 inches.
My daughter is 39 inches tall. She just turned 3 on Dec 27. I'm amazed she's almost as tall as your 5 year olds.

We're going next month and even if she hits 40 inches, which she just might, I'm not going to let her ride anything big because she's probably too young at 37 months old. I figure we can wait for awhile before she goes on anything bigger than the Great Goofini.
Jasonkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #101
JeRmS
Mouseketeer

Primeval Whirl being 48" makes absolutely no sense to me .. my DD5 was so upset that she couldn't ride, she barely missed it but she could ride the big mountain (Expedition Everest)

I'm not sure how Primeval Whirl is more "Thrill" than EE and therefore would require a larger height requirement?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #102
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRmS View Post
Primeval Whirl being 48" makes absolutely no sense to me .. my DD5 was so upset that she couldn't ride, she barely missed it but she could ride the big mountain (Expedition Everest)

I'm not sure how Primeval Whirl is more "Thrill" than EE and therefore would require a larger height requirement?
It's not based on thrill factor, but on minimum safety requirements for the ride vehicle.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #103
JeRmS
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
It's not based on thrill factor, but on minimum safety requirements for the ride vehicle.
Meh I guess, but I don't see how my 48 1/4" daughter is more safe on that ride than my 47 3/4" daughter?

but alas, not to start an argument on that subject we will just keep riding EE anyway since it's waaaaay more fun than PEW.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #104
bauer1168
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRmS

Meh I guess, but I don't see how my 48 1/4" daughter is more safe on that ride than my 47 3/4" daughter?

but alas, not to start an argument on that subject we will just keep riding EE anyway since it's waaaaay more fun than PEW.
I *think* it is due to the particular ride and if an emergency stop has to be made or not with a mechanical failure. I know certain rides are more sudden and can cause a more severe break with an emergency stop or track failure.
I personally would hate to be on primeval whirl if that was to happen
bauer1168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #105
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRmS View Post

If I was in the theme-park attraction design business, I'd be able to help you there. Alas, I am not.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: