Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
jengrabinski
Earning My Ears

We went the end of July & it was very hot. We would leave the park & go back to swim because it was just not fun. I'd go as soon as he gets out in June over August.
jengrabinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #17
tigger51276
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
We're both teachers. We ONLY go in August. (Actually, that's not totally true. My husband sometimes gets to chaperone the Senior Trip in April, the rat.)

I love it!!! The parks are open from early morning until late at night. Here's what works for us:

- we stay onsite. We're close enough to the parks that we can go back and forth between the resort and the parks without it costing us much time. If you're interested, take a look at the Dolphin's teacher rate. While we haven't tried it (we always seem to get a great deal or a PIN from Disney) last year I had reservations at the Dolphin that I cancelled. You're steps from both Epcot and Hollywood Studios, and the reviews of the Swan and Dolphin are great.

- we're at the parks for rope drop. (That's park opening.) We got so much done during those first hours when other people are either asleep or enjoying their Mickey pancakes.

- we stay at the parks until lunch, then head back for a swim. Otherwise, you reach the point of diminishing returns... the kids are crankier, the lines are longer, you're no longer enjoying yourself. My 3 kids are total water rats, so having a good pool is one of the things I look for in a resort.

- we love having parkhoppers. As a result, we sometimes do the EMH parks in the morning, getting there an hour before the general public. Yes, these parks do get more crowded later in the day. So after lunch we simply hop to another park.

- we invest in Mistymate personal misters. They're the size of an electric toothbrush, but don't need batteries. Each of us has one. That spritz of water makes a huge difference in temperature in August.

- we know the cooler rides in each park, and take advantage. So, for example, in Animal Kingdom (the hottest place on earth in August), we start at the safari, then pick up fastpasses for Cali River Rapids-- it's basically a spin on a log flume. That cools us off for a few hours. There are air conditioned shows-- I strongly recommend the Fesitval of the Lion King that make things more comfortable. We follow a similar plan in the other parks, mixing up the outdoor lines with those that are indoors.

- we stock up on dollar store or Walmart ponchos. For a 7 night trip, I bring 3 or 4 each. Some years we use them, some years we don't. But we're prepared for those mid afternoon storms that frequently pop up.

- we get trip insurance. Most of the summer is hurricane season in Florida. Knowing we have trip insurance just lets me sleep better.

Go ahead, plan a fabulous trip. Once next year's prices are released this summer, I'll be doing the same thing for 2014.
This is great advice. I've done the end of Aug/beg of Sept many times and yup it's definitely hot and humid, however the rain showers help cool things down and clear the parks out a big. I don't do rope drop though, instead we stay out as late as possible (we are nightowls) as it is so much easier doing the parks once the sun has gone down so we sleep in instead. Most of the rides are indoors so you spend a good amount of time in the a/c and if it's a really, really hot day, I avoid Animal Kingdom and usually hit EPCOT as most rides are inside so we spend the least amount of time in the humidity.
Me (37) DD (10) DD (5)
tigger51276 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 05:45 AM   #18
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Our last few trips have been in August. On the Disney website, check the park closing hours - the park hours get shorter in the middle/end of August. This is usually when they have free dining start, so the restaurants will get filed quickly.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 AM   #19
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Went in August 2010 for a week and would go again! We went around mid-August and the crowds were not bad at all. I think August in general, even earlier in the month, is much less crowded than June and July.

Yes, it is hot... you MUST arrive early to the parks before opening and do rope drop. Our routine was to do that, hit the "headliners," and about noon or 1 when it got very hot and more crowded, we went back to the resort to swim or nap in the AC for a few hours. We would usually miss some of the afternoon storms this way.

Remember too that most rides and attractions are indoors, and Disney does not skimp on the air conditioning. We never really got too hot because we'd go into a ride or show and get cooled off. A long sit-down show, especially in the afternoon (think a 3-D movie, Hall of Presidents, a movie in World Showcase, a show at AK, etc) is a great way to cool off.

Definitely pack ponchos. We also couldn't have survived without those misting fans, you can buy them at Walmart for $5. Fill with ice water and it's soooo refreshing! Dress appropriately (of course), light colored, lightweight shorts and tank tops - we saw a lot of people wearing jeans (!?!?!).

The heat made it very tough to do afternoon parades. Animal Kingdom was more challenging as well because there is just less inside there, so you don't get as many breaks in the AC. But with going first thing in the morning (this is a good one for morning extra magic hour if you can get there early), and using the misting fans, we were fine.

I also could not have done any kind of dining plan or major meals in that heat, especially not during the day. We found it too hot to eat heavy meals (no burgers or fried stuff), and we ate a lot of fruit, salads, stuff like turkey sandwiches, etc.

Lots of sunscreen is a must, of course, and proper hydration (drink more than you think you need, watch consumption of coffee or alcohol as they dehydrate you, etc). You can get free ice water in a big cup with a lid from any counter service location. The water is filtered through the drink machines so it tastes fine. The sun along with the heat will really drain you. We found a cool afternoon nap in our room to be a must. We saw a lot of people in the parks when we returned in the later afternoon/early evening after our break who clearly had NOT taken a break in the AC.... looking hot, wilted, parents and kids screaming at each other... not having a magical day, as we said.

Just prepare properly and you'll be fine!

Florida residents!
AmericangirlinFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #20
Sheaboys
DIS Veteran

We just took our 5 boys at the end of August (8/24-9/2). We rented a double stroller for our 6 and 3 yr old. It worked perfectly, did they need it, probably not, however it was easier to move through the parks fast with the stroller. We got FREE dining, so we would eat a sit down between 5:30-6:30 each night. It was great to go into a restaurant, that is air conditioned, to sit and relax and get served.

We would get to the parks early, not rope drop, but close. We did Animal Kingdom one day, it was the day Ivan hit, so it was rainy for sure, we did the shows, it was great. We would leave the parks between 12 and 2. Go to the resort and swim. We even got a nap or two in during the week.

I think, I would schedule our suppers later, in hopes to stay for electric light parade or fireworks, because the entire week, we never saw a single parade or firework display.

Go, enjoy!

Mom to 5 little boys
WDW-various days during the 70's and 80's as a child. DisneyLand-July 1991, DisneyWorld-April 1992 offsite
Caribbean Beach-June 1995 honeymoon, All Stars Sports-December 1998, All Star Movies- November 2000 (me, my mom and the 2 boys) DTD Hotel - May 2001, All Star Movies-September 2001 (me, the 2 boys and my girlfriend), Disneyland-December 2003 (us and the 3 boys), POR-October 2nd-8th 2005 (us and the 3 boys)Caribbean Beach-August 25, 2012-September 2,2012
POR-August 2014 (16th-26th)

(dh43) (me 42) (15)(13)(11)(7) (5)
Sheaboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #21
gemini2727
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
We're both teachers. We ONLY go in August. (Actually, that's not totally true. My husband sometimes gets to chaperone the Senior Trip in April, the rat.)

I love it!!! The parks are open from early morning until late at night. Here's what works for us:

- we stay onsite. We're close enough to the parks that we can go back and forth between the resort and the parks without it costing us much time. If you're interested, take a look at the Dolphin's teacher rate. While we haven't tried it (we always seem to get a great deal or a PIN from Disney) last year I had reservations at the Dolphin that I cancelled. You're steps from both Epcot and Hollywood Studios, and the reviews of the Swan and Dolphin are great.

- we're at the parks for rope drop. (That's park opening.) We got so much done during those first hours when other people are either asleep or enjoying their Mickey pancakes.

- we stay at the parks until lunch, then head back for a swim. Otherwise, you reach the point of diminishing returns... the kids are crankier, the lines are longer, you're no longer enjoying yourself. My 3 kids are total water rats, so having a good pool is one of the things I look for in a resort.

- we love having parkhoppers. As a result, we sometimes do the EMH parks in the morning, getting there an hour before the general public. Yes, these parks do get more crowded later in the day. So after lunch we simply hop to another park.

- we invest in Mistymate personal misters. They're the size of an electric toothbrush, but don't need batteries. Each of us has one. That spritz of water makes a huge difference in temperature in August.

- we know the cooler rides in each park, and take advantage. So, for example, in Animal Kingdom (the hottest place on earth in August), we start at the safari, then pick up fastpasses for Cali River Rapids-- it's basically a spin on a log flume. That cools us off for a few hours. There are air conditioned shows-- I strongly recommend the Fesitval of the Lion King that make things more comfortable. We follow a similar plan in the other parks, mixing up the outdoor lines with those that are indoors.

- we stock up on dollar store or Walmart ponchos. For a 7 night trip, I bring 3 or 4 each. Some years we use them, some years we don't. But we're prepared for those mid afternoon storms that frequently pop up.

- we get trip insurance. Most of the summer is hurricane season in Florida. Knowing we have trip insurance just lets me sleep better.

Go ahead, plan a fabulous trip. Once next year's prices are released this summer, I'll be doing the same thing for 2014.
Great advice

gemini2727 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: