Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #16
luvwinnie
And how are YOU feeling?
My happy thought: Sitting on Main Street eating ice cream.
Can't tell the difference between Burger King and Wendys

Thanks, all. Saturday I was a ZOMBIE. Gradually getting better. I am worried about the cognitive issues considering I'm an editor. I have made a decision to cut out all processed foods and cut my sugar intake WAY down. Let's see how that goes. Maybe then I can cut down the topamax.
luvwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

Several years ago, my DD was taking Topamax for seizures. She had many side effects from it. It got to the point that she was so lethargic that she could barely hold her head up. The doctor warned us that the nickname is Dope A Max because so many people have problems with it.

I hope that you adjust or can find something else to help with the migraines!
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #18
luvwinnie
And how are YOU feeling?
My happy thought: Sitting on Main Street eating ice cream.
Can't tell the difference between Burger King and Wendys

The dosage is usually much higher for seizures than migraines, from what I have read.
luvwinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #19
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

HATED the stuff. I took it for seizures, not migraines, and ended up on quite a high dose. I never really had trouble with the tingling hands and feet, and the grogginess eased up after a while, but my other side effects were terrible.

I had short-term memory issues, as posted, but the worst thing seemed to be the barrier that it placed between my brain and my mouth or my fingers. I might know exactly what I wanted to say "Let's go get a soda" but what would come out of my mouth would be something like "Let's go get a fish". People looked at me like I'd lost my mind. I literally would have to stop and replay what I had just said before I'd realize that it had not come out right. Really affected my ability to type too; I could no longer spell properly! Now, mind you, I am quite a good speller under normal conditions. On Topamax however, I would have to spellcheck constantly, and when I would see the errors I had made, I would be like... "WTH??"

Sadly enough, I did NOT get the weight-loss side effect, which was the one I really wanted!!! It wasn't really working for my seizure disorder either, so instead of continuing on at such high doses with such awful side effects, my Neuro weaned me off it and we tried something else.

The two slang terms most often associated with this drug are "Dope-amax" and "Topamax-brain". There's a reason for this...

"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!

Last edited by Sorsha; 01-07-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #20
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvwinnie View Post
The dosage is usually much higher for seizures than migraines, from what I have read.

You're probably right. I was trying to remember what dose she was on but it's been awhile. I think that she was 25mg twice a day but upped it quite a bit over a year or so. These were probably high doses considering my DD was only about 30lbs at the time.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: