Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
dvdcrow
Earning My Ears

Wave of American Flavors?

Has anyone eaten at the Wave of American Flavors in the Contemporary? How's the food? Would my granddaughters enjoy this place? (They're 8 and 6 years old). Thinking of cancelling Cinderella's Happily Ever after dinner to eat here instead, but not sure it's a good idea to do so. We do have breakfast booked one morning at Akershus, so they will get to meet princesses, just not Cinderella and her crew. Anyone have experience with the Wave? (I previously posted this on another thread, but thought it might be better to put it here.) Thanks in advance for any input.
dvdcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

It's not themed or anything, it's just a restaurant. There's nothing specifically there for children. I can't say they would specifically enjoy it more than they would any other restaurant. There is a kids' menu but I don't know what it's like.
Register to remove

Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
dvdcrow
Earning My Ears

Thanks, I understand that it's not themed, but we are eating breakfast at Akershus and dinner at Be Our Guest on 2 of our 4 days in WDW, so I'm not so concerned about that. Just wonder if the food is worth the switch from having dinner at 1900 Park Fare, which I understand is good for the character interaction, but has mixed food reviews. We haven't been to WDW for over 20 years, so all this ADR business is new to us. Has anyone eaten at both of these places with children? (There also be 4 adults in our party, plus the 8 and 6 year old kids.)
dvdcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #4
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

It's delicious and one of my favorites but I wouldn't cancel Cindy, especially if it's the only time you'll eat with her.

The food at Cinderella's is definitely worse but the atmosphere of the castle is unbeatable.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

We love the Wave for any meal, they have great food however that being said, it's a very "relaxed" laid back atmosphere. My dd likes it and has since we started going when she was about 10. I agree with the other posters, while it's a great restaurant, CRT is a fun experience for younger girls, I remember how hard it was to get into the breakfast (which when my dd was younger was the only meal they had princesses) but we were able to go and I wouldn't give that memory away for anything.

If you'd like to check out my restaurant review on the Wave please feel free as it may give you a little more idea of what it's like. I can tell you breakfast there is fabulous. IF you can fit that in I highly recommend it. But I still think you should stick with CRT for the dinner (We actually preferred CRT much more than Akershus when my dd was younger).

Here's my Wave review:
http://www.disneydiningreviews.com/w...review-rev.htm
jwfla422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
winnieatepooh
Mouseketeer

I agree with the above posters, it is definitely a more grown up atmosphere...not very disney-ish...but the food is delicious! It was my fiances favorite meal of the trip, we are certainly going back on our next trip. If you want a great meal, I would definitely recommend it.

2013 - POP
2012 - CSR
2011 - Off Site
2005 - Off Site
1998 - Off Site
winnieatepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfla422 View Post
We love the Wave for any meal, they have great food however that being said, it's a very "relaxed" laid back atmosphere. My dd likes it and has since we started going when she was about 10. I agree with the other posters, while it's a great restaurant, CRT is a fun experience for younger girls, I remember how hard it was to get into the breakfast (which when my dd was younger was the only meal they had princesses) but we were able to go and I wouldn't give that memory away for anything.

If you'd like to check out my restaurant review on the Wave please feel free as it may give you a little more idea of what it's like. I can tell you breakfast there is fabulous. IF you can fit that in I highly recommend it. But I still think you should stick with CRT for the dinner (We actually preferred CRT much more than Akershus when my dd was younger).

Here's my Wave review:
http://www.disneydiningreviews.com/w...review-rev.htm
Loved your review .... now I'm getting ready to read some of the others!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
tstidm1
DIS Veteran

I enjoy Wave and will have a lunch there during this trip to get away from Magic Kingdom without going to a resort. I would still say that you should do CRT and do this as lunch or dinner another day during your trip. It sounds as if they really love Cinderella and CRT is worth it for that experience alone. If you do decide to go, go for the Lamb Shank. It's simply one of the best things I've eaten.
June 2011 Off Site
July 2012 Pop Century
March 2013 All Star Sports
July 2014 Dis Exclusive ABD Backstage Magic

Maybe March 2015 trip to Universal Orlando (Going to the Dark Side maybe).
tstidm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #9
meredith1
DIS Veteran

We dined here for breakfast on our last trip and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, there isn't anything exciting about it for the kids. It's more of a yummy, quick breakfast. We're staying at BLT for our trip in December and will be doing a The Wave for a quick breakfast on our Epcot day.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
meredith1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdcrow View Post
Thanks, I understand that it's not themed, but we are eating breakfast at Akershus and dinner at Be Our Guest on 2 of our 4 days in WDW, so I'm not so concerned about that. Just wonder if the food is worth the switch from having dinner at 1900 Park Fare, which I understand is good for the character interaction, but has mixed food reviews. We haven't been to WDW for over 20 years, so all this ADR business is new to us. Has anyone eaten at both of these places with children? (There also be 4 adults in our party, plus the 8 and 6 year old kids.)
My children will be 5, 3 &3 on our next trip and I would do CRT over Akershus. Also, we went to 1900 on our last trip and it was awful. Like you've heard, characters are good but, I can honestly say the food is some of the worst I've eaten anywhere. Do CRT and the Wave.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
meredith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
VLee
DIS Veteran

Within the last year and half or so, we ate a delicious breakfast buffet at The Wave. Can anyone confirm if this is still offered? We would like to try it again.
BWV - Boardwalk View - 10/2007 - Family Reunion!
OKW - Labor Day 2007 - Pirate & Princess Party
BWV/Beach Club -- 05/2007 -- The kids and Me!
VWL -- Christmas 2006 -Mom and Me!
AS Movies 09/2006 - Jen & Kids - Brant's 4th BD!
Beach Club Villa 05/2006 - Brant and Me
Wilderness Cabins/Old Key West 01/2006-Hollye's 6th!
Polynesian Resort / Beach Club Villa 9/2005-Jen & Kids
Pop Century/ Old Key West 05/2005 - The kids & Me
AS Movies/WL Villa/ PO French Qtr 10/2004-Halloween
Pop Century/Port Orleans FQ 05/2004 - Hollye and Me
BoardWalk Villa/WL Villa 12/2003 - First Christmas!
Polynesian Resort 05/2003 -- First Trip!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
MolonLabe
DTOM

We did Wave because it fit with our schedule one night as we had to go back to CR to change for mcmcp.

We really enjoyed it. DW and I as well as Dd 15, 8 & 6.

It's signature level food IMO.

I wouldn't dump crt for it but I'd eat there again. Best crab cakes. Ever. Better than narcossees by far. We ate there a night or two later Gotta love ddxp!

May 2011 POP for 6 days
Nov 2012 Contemporary for 7 days and MVMCP
Sept 2013 Contemporary for 8 days and MNSSHP
May 2014 cancelled due to FP+ debacle
and dozens of off site trip stays.
MolonLabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
baileykelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLee View Post
Within the last year and half or so, we ate a delicious breakfast buffet at The Wave. Can anyone confirm if this is still offered? We would like to try it again.
The Wave still has the breakfast buffet, along with a regular breakfast menu. We eat the buffet every trip we take, it is yummy!

11/99 CBR, 1/01 POFQ, 2/06 POR, 2/07 POR, 12/07 POR, 10/08 POR, 3/09 POR, 1/10 AKL, 10/10 POR, 11/11 POR, 2/12 POR, 10/12 POR, 4/13 POR, 12/13 POR, 3/14 POR, 10/14 POR
baileykelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: