DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
TJJLK
Earning My Ears

More resale questions

I know these have been answered but I can't find them now.
When buying resale, you lose out on adventures by Disney, Concierge, and cruises. Is that the only perks you miss out on? I think I saw that you still get the annual pass discount when it is available.
Also if I find a contract I want from a resale site, do I call them up and make an offer they take bake to seller? And if they accept the offer it then goes to Disney to see if I can buy it or they will buy it back themselves?
I have been to two separate sales pitches on cruises but never done anything more than talk to the kiosk people at WDW. No tours or presentation.
I do have a salesperson that emails me offers from WDW. I talked to her today and she emailed me information. She asked me if I had a referal from a current member. What was that about?
Thanks in advance and I apologize if I just missed the answers in previous threads.
TJJLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJLK View Post
When buying resale, you lose out on adventures by Disney, Concierge, and cruises. Is that the only perks you miss out on? I think I saw that you still get the annual pass discount when it is available.
Also if I find a contract I want from a resale site, do I call them up and make an offer they take bake to seller? And if they accept the offer it then goes to Disney to see if I can buy it or they will buy it back themselves?
I have been to two separate sales pitches on cruises but never done anything more than talk to the kiosk people at WDW. No tours or presentation.
I do have a salesperson that emails me offers from WDW. I talked to her today and she emailed me information. She asked me if I had a referal from a current member. What was that about?
Thanks in advance and I apologize if I just missed the answers in previous threads.
Yes you currently miss out on all three of those. Not sure about the Pass.Yes the contract is negotiable, yes Disney has ROFR (right of first refusal) Referrals are so they can track the lead and possibly give the DVC owner some pixie dust. Direct is more expensive but has a few perks. IMHO Resale is a better bang for the buck.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Currently the pass and all other discounts applies to all members though that could change. You also lose out on the Disney Collection including other Disney hotels and to date, even paying cash on member cruises.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
michelleiada
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJLK
The annual pass discount is available to you even if you buy resale...as of now anyway. Resale is the way to go. Saves a chunk of money.

2012 BECAME DVC MEMBER AT BCV!

michelleiada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
When buying resale, you lose out on adventures by Disney, Concierge, and cruises.
just to be clear, "Concierge" in this case means a group of nice hotels like the jefferson in washington DC. those expensive hotels and disney hotels like the poly or POFQ are excluded from DVC trades if you buy resale.

(but they are very expensive, anyway.)

trading out through RCI is still an option for resale buyer.

lots of perks can change at any time for both resale and direct buyers.

chalee94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
TJJLK
Earning My Ears

If I did my spreadsheet correctly and IF maintenance fees go up at about the same percentage for each resort it looks like Bay Lake will be the cheapest way to go over the next 30 years. I did 30 and the lifetime for the longer contracts.
Saratoga is a little cheaper but their one bedroom only sleeps 4.
Wife and I have 3 kids and I think we could get by with a 1 bedroom that sleeps 5 for a few more years anyway. Kids are 9, 7 and 3. All boys.
I think we would like Animal Kingdom too but from what I have read it is a lot easier to get Animal Kingdom at 7 months without paying for the animal up keep.
I know we could possibly get a super low resale but I plugged in the average asking price and seems like Bay Lake would be the best value.
Has anybody else ran the numbers lately? I may have missed something.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Quote:
If I did my spreadsheet correctly and IF maintenance fees go up at about the same percentage for each resort it looks like Bay Lake will be the cheapest way to go over the next 30 years. I did 30 and the lifetime for the longer contracts.
Wife and I have 3 kids and I think we could get by with a 1 bedroom that sleeps 5 for a few more years anyway. Kids are 9, 7 and 3. All boys.
I think we would like Animal Kingdom too but from what I have read it is a lot easier to get Animal Kingdom at 7 months without paying for the animal up keep.
I know we could possibly get a super low resale but I plugged in the average asking price and seems like Bay Lake would be the best value.
All DVC 1 BRs (except AKV Value) sleeps 5 people (+ 1 under 3). Although, in some of them (mostly the older ones) you'd have to provide bedding for the 5th person.

I haven't run any #s lately, but I think SSR is the cheapest of everything. You should be able to get that at $50-$60 and the MFs are relatively low as well.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I see 2 issues with that approach. BLT fees likely will go up faster because they've been under priced. At least use the 2013 fees as the reference as a minimum. The other issues is whether you considered the time value of the difference in costs long term, I think you should to yield a true comparison.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think you missed that BLT's maintenance fees have gone up 6 percent in each of the past two years. So BLT is quickly catching up to the pack. The thought is the tower might help keep BLT as one of the lower-MF resorts. But the cheapie furniture used in the villas means there will likely be another monster increase coming when they have to do an early refurb.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
TJJLK
Earning My Ears

One more.
If I buy a 200 point resale, Disney will not split it into 2 different 100 points right?
I think I want August or September because we normally go every October. I see two 100 point August contracts on two different sites, but this seems like it would be aggravating to deal with two different companies. I guess I could if I had to though.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
One more.
If I buy a 200 point resale, Disney will not split it into 2 different 100 points right?
I think I want August or September because we normally go every October. I see two 100 point August contracts on two different sites, but this seems like it would be aggravating to deal with two different companies. I guess I could if I had to though.
You need to consider where you love to stay. Cost is just one aspect of ownership, location, amenities, and how great you feel when staying at your home resort can be important. I wouldn't buy a cheap car if I hated driving it.

You also might want to consider that buying is just a small piece of the cost. Locking you and your family into very expensive Disney vacations for years to come should be taken into account. My last study indicated that 30 vacations for 2 adults including DVC ownership will cost us $250,000.

Bill

disneynutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
One more.
No, they will no split it for you if you buy resale. Since contracts are often listed non exclusively, it's possible those are actually the same contract listed two different places. Just realize that to get to two 100 point contracts at the same resort compared to one 200, you'll have higher costs of approximately $2000-2500 extra. Aug would be fine, Oct would be even better if you routinely travel in Oct but not Sept.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: