Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #76
mommykds
All Disney all the time! Hang on little Dole Whip, Momma's coming!

Sorry to hear the OP did not have a good time at Pop. I would have asked to move but I have a big mouth I guess. Hope your next stay is much better!

We are booked for Pop this summer & hope we do not encounter the issues that the OP did. We have stayed at all levels of resorts at WDW and while I think the OP's concerns were extremely valid & unacceptable, we have found this type of thing can happen no matter where you stay.

We stayed at the Poly in 2002, worse experience we had in WDW. Long story, my kids got sick & so did DH & I from the Norwalk (?) virus. I cleaned up our bathroom from 3 kids sick & asked mousekeeping for something strong to clean it up (Lysol anything) they had nothing. They looked at me like I was crazy. We went through 2 pack in plays & we got out hand smacked for that (figuratively). There's more but its long & tedious..anyway the staff was just not helpful from beginning to end.

We gave the Poly another try in 2010 & stayed CL level, Again not a great experience. Very little food left in the CL lounge, We had to ask for some to be replenished on several days. Staff auto-cancelled our Hoop Dee Doo (which we were charged for - but I got that cleared up after we got home with the credit card co) they just cancelled us for no reason & when we went to the lounge to get it worked out they told us there was nothing they could do. The woman offered me lunch ADR at the GF. Seriously???? Again long story but they were just awful to us & we swore that was the last time we stay at the Poly.

The best mousekeeping & staff & foodcourt for us is POR. Love it there but our family with now teens really can't fit there anymore.

By the way I just stayed at AoA LM over Easter & the resort was great, (staff, rooms, cleanliness, pools, giftshop, buses) Loved everything except the foodcourt.
* Mar 1998 AS Music * Dec 1999 AS Movies * Dec 2002 Polynesian * Nov 2003 Carribean Beach * Oct 2005 Port Orleans Riverside * Aug 2006 Beach Club CL * Aug 2007 Beach Club CL * Oct 2007 Pop Century * Apr 2008 Wonder & Boardwalk Inn * Aug 2008 Port Orleans Riverside * Dec 2008 Coronado Springs * Jul 2009 Boardwalk CL * Oct 2009 Contemporary * Dec 2009 Offsite * Mar 2010 Wonder & Polynesian CL * Jul 2010 Beach Club CL * Dec 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter * Aug 2011 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2012 Hampton Inn LBV * Jul 2012 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2013 Art of Animation LM * Aug 2013 Pop Century * Nov 2013 Embassy Suites LBV * Apr 2014 AS Music FS * Jul 2014 Embassy Suites LBV/Boardwalk Inn *
mommykds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #77
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

I am booked at POP for end of May, and like others have said if my room were that broken down I would have been asking directly to move. If they said no, and sent a maintenance person out and it wasn't fixed then I would be asking to speak with the manager. Not in an angry way, just a look, I'm on vacation and this is harshing my mellow way. After that it had better be fixed or me moved, or else I would request my money back and go elsewhere. Its really not unreasonable at all.
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #78
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
One day we went to the Grand Floridian and he checked out the lobby bathroom. He came out and said, "Finally I found a clean restroom!"
I do have to mention that the dirtiest restroom I have ever seen at WDW was this same restroom (the ladies side though), after someone had gone in there and for whatever reason thrown wet paper everywhere. My friends and I had to go find someone to report it to so they would clean it. It was that bad.

so even the flagship resort doesn't always guarantee a clean restroom.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:18 PM   #79
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlduvall View Post
She wanted to, but her DH didn't want to move.
From her words it wasn't that he didn't *want* to move, but...

Quote:
But he kept telling me just to forget about it, they wouldn't do anything to make it right anyway. I told him they would do something, but he was convinced they wouldn't.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #80
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
I do have to mention that the dirtiest restroom I have ever seen at WDW was this same restroom (the ladies side though), after someone had gone in there and for whatever reason thrown wet paper everywhere. My friends and I had to go find someone to report it to so they would clean it. It was that bad.

so even the flagship resort doesn't always guarantee a clean restroom.
Was it the one by 1900 Park Fare? That one seems to be dirty a lot. I think because of so many small children, and so many mamas in a hurry to make it back to the meal.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #81
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

We stayed summer of 2011 and had a great experience! Sorry yours was so bad! When I first checked in they even let me look at my room first and then change its location before I moved my things in.
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #82
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Was it the one by 1900 Park Fare? That one seems to be dirty a lot. I think because of so many small children, and so many mamas in a hurry to make it back to the meal.
No, the one by Citricos.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #83
Ranchfly
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy View Post
I have stayed at Pop 9 times and have always enjoyed it in the past for its value. This last visit has severely tainted my view on this resort. The day we checked in it looked like there were drops of blood or something reddish/brownish in the tub. I was still in "Yay, I'm at Disney World" mode so I overlooked it and rinsed out the tub myself. 2 of the 7 nights we were there the trash was not emptied in our room. We had several maintenance issues with the tub faucet not shutting off and hearing running (steady stream, not trickling) water all night even with the bathroom door shut. You had to hold onto the handle to keep it in the warm zone because it would slip into the scalding hot zone if you didn't hold it up. The drain would not stay open, so the tub would fill up with water as you took a shower. In order to keep the tub from filling up you had to bend down and hold the drain open. So, if one hand is holding the drain open and the other hand is holding the handle so the water doesn't scald you, how does one take a shower? We ended up holding the water in the warm zone with one hand, leaving the tub fill up with water, and wash with the free hand. We called maintenance several times and still didn't have our issues resolved when we left. One day the guy told us there was nothing he could do to fix the handle, it would have to wait to be replaced. The tv kept messing up and losing the signal due to a faulty cable that was replaced twice. There was mildew on the bottom half of the tile in the bathroom. The whole way around the tub the grout around the tiles were mildewed. The top half was white, the bottom half was green.

I feel like Pop Century's rooms need a major rehab. I paid for a preferred pool view. I liked being real close to the pool since we spent a lot of time at the pool this trip, but I did not like feeling like I was staying in a roach motel. Pop Century is really starting to show its age and is no longer my favorite place to stay.

This was DH's first Disney trip. I wanted to wow him but Disney dropped the ball so many times on this trip. With Pop being the biggest disappointment we also dealt with several ride breakdowns on this trip. I still love Disney but it seemed like an excessive number of ride breakdowns. DH was not wowed in the least. He kept asking me where those "Disney details" were that I had been raving about. Lukily I convinced him this trip was my worst ever and he needs to give Disney another shot...with a nicer resort next time. One day we went to the Grand Floridian and he checked out the lobby bathroom. He came out and said, "Finally I found a clean restroom!" So he is now convinced we need to stay at a Deluxe resort next time. I'm Super Ok with that! Good bye Pop Century, thanks for being crappy. I never thought I would get to stay deluxe!

The CM's in the food court have no clue what they are doing. One person would tell us which items were considered snacks or quick service meals on the DDP. We would get to the register and the cashier would tell us they were wrong. We ran into this kind of trouble the whole week. We ended up picking a cashier, asking her what was ok to get, then get our food, wait in her line (no matter how long) so we knew we wouldn't be stuck with a cashier that would tell us something different. I never encountered so many discrepancies in what each CM considered a snack or QS credit in the past like I did on this visit.

No longer a Pop fan.
Couldn't agree more. We stayed in march for my DH first trip too. POP totally embarrassed me! Food court clueless. A pile of toenail clippings behind nightstand and wet spots all over the carpet at check-in.
Ranchfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #84
trekker93
DIS Veteran

Cool Fortunately we haven't had this problem.

With the volume of people and guests, I am sure it happens. We have been there many times and will be returning in 3 weeks. If I do go to my room and find it a mess ,I would call the front desk. I'd give them 10-15 minutes to show up and then I would see the manager to get it fixed and a room discount!!

1978(offsite),1984offsite,1990(DixieLandings),2004 ,2005,2006-off site,2007(POP),2008(POP),2009(POP),2010(Sept)-Pop Century,2011Sept.POPCentury,All Star Music - July 2012, Sept2012 POP, May 2013-POP,Sept2013 - POP,Sept.2014-POP
Next TRIP:POP Century - Oct. 2015
trekker93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #85
dsnyrn
disneyRN

I LOVE Pop! Yes it is a little noisey, Yes it has small rooms, But!!! if you to let the management know, it is usually taken care of in good time!!!! We have stayed there alot, sometime things happen when you have so many people go through the resort, especially in the summer. We have also stayed at Carib Beach and will never stay there again due to issues that were not taken care of. Everyone will have their stories no matter where they stay.

dsnyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #86
wetblanket
Earning My Ears

We just returned from a week a Pop, and it was a great experience. The room was clean, well kept during our stay, and the few requests that we had were handled quickly and properly.

We did find the food court staff to be a little clueless, but still friendly, at least.

Given the comparatively low cost, I would go back in a flash.

It's no fun that you had some disappointment, but hopefully it was the exception rather than the rule.
wetblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #87
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

We will no longer stay at Pop. We use to love the resort but the last half dozen times there were issues and each and every time the managers could not have cared less. I don't know if Disney sends the managers they want to get rid of to Pop or what but... Over the years we had rooms: with wet carpeting (the whole room), room with feces on the walls, room with a broken door that actually cut my leg when it hit me, i got food poisoning from the food court, paid for a preferred room and got an standard and the manager was insulted when i asked for a refund of the difference...it just goes on and on. Wrote letters to the GM who did not bother to respond. Oh i forgot about the time we checked in at 8:30am but did not get into the room until 9pm after the front desk manager told us on the phone that they would let us into the room when they felt like it (seriously that is exactly what she said). We now stay off site (Knights Inn - 5min away, very clean and very inexpensive) and when we do stay on site we use our DVC points. Did i tell you about the last time...we were checking in and next to us was another guest that was complaining that 3 days in a row a CM walked into her room unannounced while she was showering and saw her naked. The manager could not have cared less. Did not offer any comment just gave the standard Disney (could not care less answer), "I am very sorry that happened to you"... and then just stood there... She of course got madder and madder. No more Pop for us. Knights Inn! and BLT!
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #88
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
We will no longer stay at Pop. We use to love the resort but the last half dozen times there were issues and each and every time the managers could not have cared less. I don't know if Disney sends the managers they want to get rid of to Pop or what but... Over the years we had rooms: with wet carpeting (the whole room), room with feces on the walls, room with a broken door that actually cut my leg when it hit me, i got food poisoning from the food court, paid for a preferred room and got an standard and the manager was insulted when i asked for a refund of the difference...it just goes on and on. Wrote letters to the GM who did not bother to respond. Oh i forgot about the time we checked in at 8:30am but did not get into the room until 9pm after the front desk manager told us on the phone that they would let us into the room when they felt like it (seriously that is exactly what she said). We now stay off site (Knights Inn - 5min away, very clean and very inexpensive) and when we do stay on site we use our DVC points. Did i tell you about the last time...we were checking in and next to us was another guest that was complaining that 3 days in a row a CM walked into her room unannounced while she was showering and saw her naked. The manager could not have cared less. Did not offer any comment just gave the standard Disney (could not care less answer), "I am very sorry that happened to you"... and then just stood there... She of course got madder and madder. No more Pop for us. Knights Inn! and BLT!
Wow, and I thought I was unlucky!!

If you do decide to try on property again, and have any problems, send off an e-mail once you are home. I have had issues 3 times. The only time I had any resolution was after I sent an e-mail--face to face with the manager got me no where!

PS--I had the same issue with being downgraded at the Music. Twice. And had to fight to get the difference back between the room I had paid for and the room they put me in. I'm still surprised by that, as it seems totally un-Disney-like.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #89
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

It's amazing how everyone has such different experiences! We have loved our visits at Pop.

Our last trip was just about perfect. One of the tubs did back up - but when I called, they sent two guys immediately, the room was perfect when we got back.

We also love the food court. I'm surprised so many people don't like it. It's one of the best parts of staying at Pop, IMO. We love that we can all get exactly what we like at the same time. We never had issues with bad food, or clueless employees at all.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #90
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

I had a great stay at Pop in February, but I have no doubt the bad experiences can happen. I was a little worried before we went, but everything was perfect - great location, clean room, prompt bus service. I'm sorry for those who had the opposite experience.
skater is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: