Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #31
kapoof
DIS Veteran

Another reason to go deluxe...they are smaller house fewer people hence there are usually fewer problems. I do know problems can arise at any level, it takes one rude person to make things turn bad. However it seems to be more at the values due to pop warner, and the huge influx of tour groups. Which is very unfair to the nice families who stay there. I really wish Disney would stand up more to rudeness!

me dh ds

2006 wilderness lodge 2007 beach club
2008 dolphin
2010 downtown disney hilton/ poly cl :
2011 akl . 2013 bwi and dream cruise

there are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, the other is getting it...oscar wilde
kapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #32
Bravesfan
Mouseketeer

Yes, this is kind of funny (wasn't at the time) but after we moved to POFQ, I think it was the 4th night, we returned to our room and found 6 or 7 inches of sewer water in the tub. Our DD & family also had this problem. So yes, things can happen at any resort.
Bravesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #33
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecshawn View Post
POP is a great resort......remember, "a greasy wheel attracts oil"
There is alot of folks that only comment or whine when things go bad. Most people, when things go good.. say nothing. You'll be fine and love it.
No on the OP but this is true. The OP had stayed at Pop nine times before but I'm sure didn't rush home and post how much she liked it and that's just human nature (again, OP, not bashing you but explaining what gets things posted here).

We had a horrible experience at All Star Sports and I probably won't be back there again. But we do enjoy Pop Century and only have had one issue and that was when the TV set would not turn off. We tried everything. Called engineering, went out to the parks, came back and the TV was fine. The only housekeeping problem we've had is when we are still in the room and she looks in the window. Learned to keep those blinds shut even with the DND sign on the door.

Now, the food court - not a fan at all. Not because of misundertstandings but because we don't like the food.

Too each his or her own when it comes to resorts so those people who are nervous about upcoming trips, relax. For every bad experience, I think you'll find five good ones. But you can't do that on the board because people very rarely post their good ones.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 PM   #34
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

You can have a bad experience at any resort. How I judge is how things are handled once I bring them to someone's attention at the time. I honestly don't think it is fair to you or to the resort to suffer thru a bad room. Why put up with a bad room for your whole vacation? Why not give them the chance to make it right? If they don't, you can take the step of switching resorts. And then send off an e-mail once you are home. But to spend your vacation annoyed, and then complain once you are home? Not so good.

I do understand being upset, and not wanting to return. But as someone on the Dis once told me after a bad experience, give the resort another chance. Maybe not your next trip, but the one after that go back. More people have good experiences than bad. Give them another shot.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #35
adisneymama
DIS Veteran

Had the same experience 12/20-12/26 at Pop. Left two days early and received a refund for unused nights due to all of the issues we had. Many maintenance issues, room was musty as a/c wasnt working properly. It evntually went out all together. Front desk staff was hit or miss. A few were very nice but most were rude. CMs had no idea where the rooms were located. Don't get me started on the Food court! Was very upset and sad as Pop has always been one of our faves!
adisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #36
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

I haven't had problems at the Disney resorts I've stayed at. I'm staying at Pop for 3 nights in less than 2 weeks, so I am hoping for a pleasant experience there.

OP, I'm sorry that you had a bad experience at Pop. But I'm not sure that your complaint is entirely fair. Yes, you have the "right" to post whatever you want on a message board. Yes, there were problems with your room. But you did NOTHING while you were there to try to correct the problem. Rooms and resorts have maintenance issues sometimes. Such is life. I'm sure if you had said something, the folks at Disney would have either fixed the problems or moved you to a different room. Had you said something and they done nothing about it, THEN I think your complaining would be justified. You're complaining that you had a miserable week at your resort, but I think you are partially to blame. Disney can't help you or make your time more pleasant if they are unaware that there are problems.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #37
Salrx95
Mouseketeer

Wow, this thread has made me both nervous and gotten my eyes open.

I fully understand more people complain than praise but we are checking in about 37 days. We switched to PoP instead of all Cars Suite AoA to save money after free dining was not offered during our week. So we are doing 5 nights Pop after 2 nights AoA and this thread makes me feel like we have a good chance of having issues. We chose Pop specifically to still walk over the bridge and the enjoy the "cars" experience.

Now, I have to hope we an upper floor with no maintenance issues, working TV, soft bed, good housekeeper while dealing with food court issues. Did I miss anything..lol.

Not worried about most of it but I have bad feet and a not so great back, though better after a procedure a few months ago, and the bed thing is of most concern. We won't eat much in the food court and will do breakfast in room when we don't have an ADR. The room is where is we mostly sleep and not do much else. We plan on doing the pool day while at AoA.

Like others have said, there can be problems anywhere, though we had pretty much none to speak of on our first disney trip in Feb 2011. This is a huge financial commitment to take our boys to WDW and hope it will all be magical.
Salrx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #38
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeK120 View Post
I haven't had problems at the Disney resorts I've stayed at. I'm staying at Pop for 3 nights in less than 2 weeks, so I am hoping for a pleasant experience there.

OP, I'm sorry that you had a bad experience at Pop. But I'm not sure that your complaint is entirely fair. Yes, you have the "right" to post whatever you want on a message board. Yes, there were problems with your room. But you did NOTHING while you were there to try to correct the problem. Rooms and resorts have maintenance issues sometimes. Such is life. I'm sure if you had said something, the folks at Disney would have either fixed the problems or moved you to a different room. Had you said something and they done nothing about it, THEN I think your complaining would be justified. You're complaining that you had a miserable week at your resort, but I think you are partially to blame. Disney can't help you or make your time more pleasant if they are unaware that there are problems.
The OP did say they had maintenance check the faucet several times and it didn't get fixed during their stay...
And moving to a different room might sound easy, but it can take hours, causing precious vacation time to be lost.
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #39
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salrx95 View Post
Wow, this thread has made me both nervous and gotten my eyes open.

I fully understand more people complain than praise but we are checking in about 37 days. We switched to PoP instead of all Cars Suite AoA to save money after free dining was not offered during our week. So we are doing 5 nights Pop after 2 nights AoA and this thread makes me feel like we have a good chance of having issues. We chose Pop specifically to still walk over the bridge and the enjoy the "cars" experience.

Now, I have to hope we an upper floor with no maintenance issues, working TV, soft bed, good housekeeper while dealing with food court issues. Did I miss anything..lol.

Not worried about most of it but I have bad feet and a not so great back, though better after a procedure a few months ago, and the bed thing is of most concern. We won't eat much in the food court and will do breakfast in room when we don't have an ADR. The room is where is we mostly sleep and not do much else. We plan on doing the pool day while at AoA.

Like others have said, there can be problems anywhere, though we had pretty much none to speak of on our first disney trip in Feb 2011. This is a huge financial commitment to take our boys to WDW and hope it will all be magical.
Hi,
I hope you like the beds. They are really, really firm. Not soft at all. They feel like you're sleeping on a board. No give at all with the beds that we had. We were in the 70's building and newly renovated. I was also thinking that if I wanted to stay at Pop again, or the other values,that I could buy two foam mattress toppers and mail them down ahead of time. I don't know how much that would help. Then I would either mail them back or just leave them there. Years ago, the resorts had foam mattress toppers that you could request. Not any more. Hope you have a great trip!!
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #40
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut1149 View Post
Hi,
I hope you like the beds. They are really, really firm. Not soft at all. They feel like you're sleeping on a board. No give at all with the beds that we had. We were in the 70's building and newly renovated. I was also thinking that if I wanted to stay at Pop again, or the other values,that I could buy two foam mattress toppers and mail them down ahead of time. I don't know how much that would help. Then I would either mail them back or just leave them there. Years ago, the resorts had foam mattress toppers that you could request. Not any more. Hope you have a great trip!!
My mother, with a lifelong bad back, LOVED the beds at Pop. So much so that she took the information on them so she could buy one for home.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #41
Salrx95
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
My mother, with a lifelong bad back, LOVED the beds at Pop. So much so that she took the information on them so she could buy one for home.
go figure. It's all personal preference, isn't it.

I like the idea of the previous poster about bringing a foam topper. We are driving so that we could do. We have a queen bed so I wonder how it would fit on a smaller bed but worth a try.

Thanks!!
Salrx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #42
disneydreamfan14
See Ya Real Soon!

Ugh!

Props to you for sticking around for the whole trip! Just the blood-color look alike would've scared me out of the room. Sorry to hear about your bad experience!
Disney Cruise Line
•2011 - Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
Disneyland
•2012 - Day Trip
disneydreamfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:22 PM   #43
MarlaSingersLaundry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy
I have stayed at Pop 9 times and have always enjoyed it in the past for its value. This last visit has severely tainted my view on this resort. The day we checked in it looked like there were drops of blood or something reddish/brownish in the tub. I was still in "Yay, I'm at Disney World" mode so I overlooked it and rinsed out the tub myself. 2 of the 7 nights we were there the trash was not emptied in our room. We had several maintenance issues with the tub faucet not shutting off and hearing running (steady stream, not trickling) water all night even with the bathroom door shut. You had to hold onto the handle to keep it in the warm zone because it would slip into the scalding hot zone if you didn't hold it up. The drain would not stay open, so the tub would fill up with water as you took a shower. In order to keep the tub from filling up you had to bend down and hold the drain open. So, if one hand is holding the drain open and the other hand is holding the handle so the water doesn't scald you, how does one take a shower? We ended up holding the water in the warm zone with one hand, leaving the tub fill up with water, and wash with the free hand. We called maintenance several times and still didn't have our issues resolved when we left. One day the guy told us there was nothing he could do to fix the handle, it would have to wait to be replaced. The tv kept messing up and losing the signal due to a faulty cable that was replaced twice. There was mildew on the bottom half of the tile in the bathroom. The whole way around the tub the grout around the tiles were mildewed. The top half was white, the bottom half was green.

I feel like Pop Century's rooms need a major rehab. I paid for a preferred pool view. I liked being real close to the pool since we spent a lot of time at the pool this trip, but I did not like feeling like I was staying in a roach motel. Pop Century is really starting to show its age and is no longer my favorite place to stay.

This was DH's first Disney trip. I wanted to wow him but Disney dropped the ball so many times on this trip. With Pop being the biggest disappointment we also dealt with several ride breakdowns on this trip. I still love Disney but it seemed like an excessive number of ride breakdowns. DH was not wowed in the least. He kept asking me where those "Disney details" were that I had been raving about. Lukily I convinced him this trip was my worst ever and he needs to give Disney another shot...with a nicer resort next time. One day we went to the Grand Floridian and he checked out the lobby bathroom. He came out and said, "Finally I found a clean restroom!" So he is now convinced we need to stay at a Deluxe resort next time. I'm Super Ok with that! Good bye Pop Century, thanks for being crappy. I never thought I would get to stay deluxe!

The CM's in the food court have no clue what they are doing. One person would tell us which items were considered snacks or quick service meals on the DDP. We would get to the register and the cashier would tell us they were wrong. We ran into this kind of trouble the whole week. We ended up picking a cashier, asking her what was ok to get, then get our food, wait in her line (no matter how long) so we knew we wouldn't be stuck with a cashier that would tell us something different. I never encountered so many discrepancies in what each CM considered a snack or QS credit in the past like I did on this visit.

No longer a Pop fan.
I am so sorry for your cruddy stay. I've only stayed at Pop for one night in the past. Call guest services and let them know what a terrible experience you had. There will likley be a maintence record for the calls made to your room. Let them know that you felt that Disney really let you down, especialy while you are showing off a place you love so much.

If you are staying deluxe next time, try AKL, our favorite!

1985 Off site~1986 Off site~1990 CBR~1992 DL~2001 Off site~2003 Hong Kong Disneyland~4/10 AKV~4/11 SSR and Pop~12/11 AKV~10/12 VWL~12/12 OKW~2/13 AKV~5/13 WL~10/13 England~12/13 VGF~2/9 BLT~5/14 ALV~10/14 VGF
MarlaSingersLaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #44
skater
Change sometimes stinks.. doesn't it?
I love to hear WWII stories

Its hard to take time out of your fun to "complain," but sometimes its necessary. Last Feb., DH and I booked a pool view room at AKL. When we went out on the balcony, the whole view was blocked by a giant board. I had to call a couple times, but they kindly moved us to a savannah view. I would have been happy with a different pool view room, but the upgrade was nice.

I will be staying at Pop the end of next month, and I'm a little nervous. I don't love the values (though I tend to be on a value budget ). I'm worried about missing my hot tub and the overall busyness of the resort. I hope the room is at least clean .
skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #45
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Hi
Maybe she didn't have the new mattress. I've been to Pop a lot and the older mattresses were comfortable. Glad she loved the bed!!
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: