Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

I would have left dh in the room or food court and gone and handled it properly at the desk. The situation could have been rectified correctly, and you both would have had a more enjoyable trip.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #17
sPaRkLeSpAz
wow, our house has been scary today
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Peanut butter pie!

We usually stay at Pop and we haven't had a problem. Uh oh, I'm nervous for when we stay there in a couple weeks!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #18
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
I would have left dh in the room or food court and gone and handled it properly at the desk. The situation could have been rectified correctly, and you both would have had a more enjoyable trip.
Agreed.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 PM   #19
disfan07
DIS Veteran

And it's funny because we just stayed there from dec 25th-31st and had no problems at all.

Check in was smooth
Room was clean when we arrived
Mouse keeping was great
We had a problem with the faucet in the shower but it was fixed by the end of our first day there
The food court was awesome! I have multiple severe food allergies and chef and CMs were always great.
Front desk was also very helpful with everything and so was luggage service

We kept saying we wold go back to POP. It's amazing how different two experiences can be
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #20
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

We were there Dec 10-22 for the 6th time and while our experience was not near as bad we are feeling the same way. Last year we had some housekeeping issues as well as this year. This year we also experienced the tv issue. I think it is the dish that is going in and out and not a cable issue. Never experienced that in the past. It was very annoying. Last year we had a drain issue and maintenance was great about replacing it right then and there. Sorry you did not have the same experience. We also had a musty smell in our room this trip. The Days Inn we stayed at down and back was a better experience for much less money. Our next trip which we are not sure when that will be but not for a couple of years at least we will def be staying elsewhere.. And the new fridges they put in are junk. They barely get cold.

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!

Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #21
Rosanne
DIS Veteran

I stayed there 2 1/2 years ago and we had tons of gross bugs in our room and bathroom. They weren't bedbugs, thank goodness. I imagine it was because we were near the lake and on the first floor. We are big fans of upper floors. I won't say we'd never stay there again but definitely upper floor if we did.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #22
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

We stayed two nights at Pop in May 2012 and had maintenance trouble as well. One of our party members had a room to them self which was not available until 7 pm and when it was ready the floor was wet due to a carpet cleaning so they left an industrial fan on to aid with the soaking wet carpet. The room was just for one guy, we were only there two nights and they credited him $80 so we can't complain too much. If we were there longer than two nights or had our whole family in that room, it would have been a sour start to the trip. It wasn't the quality I expect from Disney and I agree with the OP that Pop might need some more TLC due to high volume. I guess Disney dropping the ball once in the 17 times we've been is okay with us

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #23
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

I forgot to mention that every time we've stayed at the Poly we've had room cleaning/ maid issues. Nothing to really affect our trip but just goes to show that human error can happen at a value or a deluxe! I would put good faith in any Disney resort but it does stink when the magic is lost even a tiny bit!

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

polyfor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #24
dreamscometrue101
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. It's gotten me a little concerned about my upcoming trip.

I usually stay at the moderate resorts, but I had heard great things about POP and my Niece loves the pictures so we decided to stay at POP for our trip 1/21 - 1/26.

I'm hoping your experience was an exception and not the norm.

dreamscometrue101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #25
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamscometrue101 View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience. It's gotten me a little concerned about my upcoming trip.

I usually stay at the moderate resorts, but I had heard great things about POP and my Niece loves the pictures so we decided to stay at POP for our trip 1/21 - 1/26.

I'm hoping your experience was an exception and not the norm.
POP is a great resort......remember, "a greasy wheel attracts oil"
There is alot of folks that only comment or whine when things go bad. Most people, when things go good.. say nothing. You'll be fine and love it.
alecshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #26
Allieran3
Live in my magical Disney bubble with Grumpy and a teenager!!!

We stayed at Pop from Nov 27- Dec 6th, and we had no problems. Our room was always cleaned, CMs were awesome, food was great. I love love Pop.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #27
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraftyMommy View Post
DH was not wowed in the least. He kept asking me where those "Disney details" were that I had been raving about. Lukily I convinced him this trip was my worst ever and he needs to give Disney another shot...with a nicer resort next time. One day we went to the Grand Floridian and he checked out the lobby bathroom. He came out and said, "Finally I found a clean restroom!" So he is now convinced we need to stay at a Deluxe resort next time.

No longer a Pop fan.
Op I had to comment on your Grand Floridian washroom experience. it made me laugh. We had dinner one evening at the Grand Floridian and went to the washrooms by the lobby. The women's washroom was so dirty and disgusting I couldn't believe it. When I commented to my husband about this he said that the men's washroom was gross too! So tell your DH that Deluxe doesn't always equal clean.

In general I feel that most of your frustrations with Pop were as a result of a washroom that had suffered a lot of wear and tear and I totally get it. That would really bother me too and I probably wouldn't want to return.

Maybe next time find a resort that has had a recent rehab. I wouldn't necessarily think that Deluxe would be better. You may run into the same kind of washroom issues in Deluxe if there hasn't been a recent rehab.
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #28
spoohs
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
Op I had to comment on your Grand Floridian washroom experience. it made me laugh. We had dinner one evening at the Grand Floridian and went to the washrooms by the lobby. The women's washroom was so dirty and disgusting I couldn't believe it. When I commented to my husband about this he said that the men's washroom was gross too! So tell your DH that Deluxe doesn't always equal clean.

In general I feel that most of your frustrations with Pop were as a result of a washroom that had suffered a lot of wear and tear and I totally get it. That would really bother me too and I probably wouldn't want to return.

Maybe next time find a resort that has had a recent rehab. I wouldn't necessarily think that Deluxe would be better. You may run into the same kind of washroom issues in Deluxe if there hasn't been a recent rehab.
I have to agree that Deluxe isn't always better. A few years ago my friend and I and our dd's went from the Pop to the Beach Club and had a few minor maintance issue and one major issue that really could have caused seriously injury if we where not in bed lying down when it happenend. They where going to switch our room, but when they showed my friends the other rooms they weren't in decent shape either so we just stayed put and had them fix all the problems immediatly.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:13 AM   #29
cey
DIS Veteran

I stayed at the POP from 27/11/12-11/12/12 and am afraid it will be my last! During the 2 weeks, I also had ongoing maintenance issues. Toilet not flushing (which was fixed), TV losing most of its channels ( which wasn't, even after several visits from the tech department. ) They told me to just jiggle the cable wires in the back, until the guide would come back on! ?????

The overflow football players during POP warner were a complete disaster. One friday, over 4 complete football teams took over the computer pool, forcing families out of the area. Later in the week, a lifeguard told me that they had to evict POP warner participants due to not having chaperones! Yes, I phoned the front desk and complained. As everyone else who was there that day! The front desk was very sympathetic (after all they had to field all the phone calls) but the manager was not. This year, Disney decided to spread out the kids and their families throughout numerous resorts, to reduce problems. Not working! Instead, Disney lost many families who will not ever stay at POP again! The last friday of POP warner, they closed the computer pool, as they had to move the lifeguards to another pool because of "problems". I really don't blame the lifeguards for the situation, as I have never seen CMs suffer so much verbal abuse from guests, as those two female lifeguards had to endure! The recent changes to the food court menu, have also not improved the food selection at all! Instead of localizing fish and shellfish items in one area, they have them spread all over the food court, resulting in an allergy nightmare. The chefs are not happy about the recent changes, but the one time, I did eat in the food court, did receive great allergy awareness service from the chef I dealt with. But as a result, I will never stay on-site again! Off site at Windsor Hills will now be my choice of a vacation destination at WDW! And don't even get me started on the disney buses and the large groups of people(8-10)who would walk on the bus with one scooter! Not even going there! I use to rave about POP, now I won't recommend it to anyone!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #30
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

IMO, many of these issues can be in values, mods and deludes. Sometimes, it's the luck of the draw (mousekeepking, maintenance), just plain dumb luck. We stayed at Pop this past September, first time in a value and had no complaints at all. We loved it and we knew going in it was a value and that was what we wanted this trip.

However, we went to POFQ for dinner one night and ran into a couple getting off the bus with us that hated POFQ. They were staying there and had issues from the start.....had requested a room close to things (not sure if she paid for a preferred room or not) due to medical issues on the DH part. They were placed the furthest away. She stated she did say something but the CM said that was what was available and that's that. So, they suffered the whole trip as her DH didn't want to make a fuss. She went on to say she cut herself shaving and the blood on the sheets were there for 4 nights and she couldn't believe the sheets weren't changed. She was unhappy with that. She also stated that all of her travel docs (including CC #'s) were taken out of the room after mousekeeping was in. Now, why people leave that out is beyond me but they did. This woman went on to say that she had a fairly important position in business but her DH didn't want her to say anything. This was their last night. My DH persuaded her to go to a manager because it's better to straighten things out before she leaves (should have been earlier). She did say something about the travel docs and someone went to the trash and pulled things out of the dumpster, it was still all in an envelope. Now, the last thing we knew, she was still talking to the manager but he walked away a minute and she said they got a certificate for 20% off anything in the gift store and she was waiting to see what else.

We loved POFQ the twice we stayed and had zero problems.

Just saying, things can happen anywhere and one must speak up. When this woman went to the manager, her DH walked away but she had had it and we convinced her to go.
maxaroni is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: