Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran

Character Breakfast on Fantasy?

I have been reading a lot about character breakfast on the Magic and wondering if there is one on the Fantasy?
lsenquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Disneysince1982
DIS Veteran

No there isn't a character breakfast on the Fantasy.
Disneysince1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

The dining rooms are too large and tables too close together, so the characters wouldn't be able to get around to everyone during the allotted time.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ
The dining rooms are too large and tables too close together, so the characters wouldn't be able to get around to everyone during the allotted time.
I just got the new Passporter book and it said that the characters on the classics didn't really go around to tables, but rather danced through aisles/around tables (not stopping at each table specifically). If that is true, why would that be difficult on the bigger ships?
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
I just got the new Passporter book and it said that the characters on the classics didn't really go around to tables, but rather danced through aisles/around tables (not stopping at each table specifically). If that is true, why would that be difficult on the bigger ships?
There have been many versions of the character breakfast on the classic ships. On our most recent, the characters did visit the tables, but it was a very quick visit. There were lots of complaints when they did the "dance thru the dining room" routine; guests did not like it. This was probably based on what they were used to at WDW.

The character breakfast on the ship has never been a good character experience. It is the one thing that WDW really does a better job at than the ship does.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

I hate to go against the PP but we have always had a good experience with the character breakfast. Unfortunately the books that you read about Disney Cruising are static. They are out of date so fast and also reflect a comparatively small review of different ship aspects. We often dine at character breakfasts at WDW because we get a lot of meet and greets out of the way and don't feel like we have to hit as many in the parks. On the classics the characters have generally spent a good deal of time taking pictures and interacting with our daughter. There are also some separate experience such as tea with alice and prince and princess dance (not sure what this was called) that are offered on the longer cruises, we have also had luck with this.

Unfortunately on the Fantasy it appears that character dining experiences are just mot feasible, perhaps when these ships start doing longer itineraries, or maybe never. There are too many people and no way to guarantee people have an equal chance for a character meal. On the MV we were told they were working on it for the Fantasy but then on our recent Fantasy cruise we were told that it was pretty unlikely. Who knows Disney changes things around a good bit so only time will tell. I know on RCCL they do a reservation type of system for this type of event to meet the dreamworks characters, since not all guests may even want the experience. Sadly I think that if they did this type of thing on a Disney cruise it would only be another aspect for people to complain about so it is easier to not offer it in the first place.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
lundve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsupak
I hate to go against the PP but we have always had a good experience with the character breakfast. Unfortunately the books that you read about Disney Cruising are static. They are out of date so fast and also reflect a comparatively small review of different ship aspects. We often dine at character breakfasts at WDW because we get a lot of meet and greets out of the way and don't feel like we have to hit as many in the parks. On the classics the characters have generally spent a good deal of time taking pictures and interacting with our daughter. There are also some separate experience such as tea with alice and prince and princess dance (not sure what this was called) that are offered on the longer cruises, we have also had luck with this.

Unfortunately on the Fantasy it appears that character dining experiences are just mot feasible, perhaps when these ships start doing longer itineraries, or maybe never. There are too many people and no way to guarantee people have an equal chance for a character meal. On the MV we were told they were working on it for the Fantasy but then on our recent Fantasy cruise we were told that it was pretty unlikely. Who knows Disney changes things around a good bit so only time will tell. I know on RCCL they do a reservation type of system for this type of event to meet the dreamworks characters, since not all guests may even want the experience. Sadly I think that if they did this type of thing on a Disney cruise it would only be another aspect for people to complain about so it is easier to not offer it in the first place.
That's too bad because I would easily pay $10 pp cover charge for a character meal for my kids over Palo and Remy - I like the Palo brunches but enjoy the family togetherness of dinners together. I wish they could come up with something.

lundve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundve View Post
That's too bad because I would easily pay $10 pp cover charge for a character meal for my kids over Palo and Remy - I like the Palo brunches but enjoy the family togetherness of dinners together. I wish they could come up with something.
I completely agree.
lsenquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom

On both of our cruises on the Wonder the characters came around to each table and took pics. We got pics with them all. There was no dancing.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
This is the type of stuff that makes me SMH at the Passporter. Not everything they print is accurate. This was how the Island fest was maybe 4-5 years ago. People protested and wrote DCL in droves. It was changed back to the former way of the characters going around to the tables. That would still be difficult on the new ships because of how the rooms are laid out. There are nooks and craneys where the people sitting there see nothing going on in the main dining room area. They are spread out also. The classic MDRs are basically squares with a main walkway that goes around the room.

I talked to the character manager on the MV and he said that in place of the CB they were scheduling more character M&Gs in the morning. That was really nice because it seemed that there were characters roaming the atrium and the two levels above it most of the day. We saw characters we never had before, which was great. The CBs occupy the entire entertainment staff each morning so nothing happens around the ship character-wise for about three hours on sea days.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Sadly, no. They do a character breakfast on the 7 night Wonder cruises however.
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
3Down1Up
Mouseketeer

But on the Fantasy they had the final night "Sea Ya Real Soon" with a lot of characters walking around the atrium area, including Princesses just kind of wandering and talking to everyone. and this was a much more casual atmosphere than the character breakfasts. My girls got a five minute conversation with Cinderella. No CMs serving as handlers, no photographers - it was great one on one interaction, and amazingly the characters didn't seem overwhelmed. The Navigator advertised it as a sort of going away party but I had no idea it would be like a meet and greet for so many of the characters.

We didn't have this on our 2011 Alaska so I have no idea if this is new to ships or specific to Fantasy (or Dream/Fantasy).
3Down1Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #13
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Down1Up
But on the Fantasy they had the final night "Sea Ya Real Soon" with a lot of characters walking around the atrium area, including Princesses just kind of wandering and talking to everyone. and this was a much more casual atmosphere than the character breakfasts. My girls got a five minute conversation with Cinderella. No CMs serving as handlers, no photographers - it was great one on one interaction, and amazingly the characters didn't seem overwhelmed. The Navigator advertised it as a sort of going away party but I had no idea it would be like a meet and greet for so many of the characters.

We didn't have this on our 2011 Alaska so I have no idea if this is new to ships or specific to Fantasy (or Dream/Fantasy).
Not sure why they didn't do it in Alaska. On the Wonder MR it was called "Til We Meet Again."
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: