Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #16
andyman8
DIS Veteran

From what I've heard, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will be a slight step down from BTMRR. Imagine lots of speed and tight turns, but no (not even in the slightest way) drops.

And I don't think BTMRR will be going anywhere, particularly after they put all that work into it last year and they're working on the new queue. Apparently, they could even be a tv show about the attraction in the works. Doesn't sound like an attraction with numbered days to me.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #17
zpbarn01
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8
From what I've heard, the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train will be a slight step down from BTMRR. Imagine lots of speed and tight turns, but no (not even in the slightest way) drops.

And I don't think BTMRR will be going anywhere, particularly after they put all that work into it last year and they're working on the new queue. Apparently, they could even be a tv show about the attraction in the works. Doesn't sound like an attraction with numbered days to me.
Good point about the Tv show, I heard something about that as well
zpbarn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
4chickadees
Earning My Ears

Love BTMR

thanks for all the good info! I hope BTMR stays (it doesn't make sense to kill it!)
4chickadees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #19
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I think if anything, you might see a Buzz Lightyear/TSM situation.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
YoHo
If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

If they had an cahones, they'd take Big thunder out and put in mine train through Nature's wonderland (would that even fit in MK like it did in DL?

Or they'd get a real big pair and build the Lewis and Clark Attraction as Walt intended.

Critical thinking about Disney at
www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
YoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:20 PM   #21
luckyman_apd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dznefreek View Post
Given the footprint of the ride and the fact that it will probably be kid friendly (under 40") I believe BTMRR is safe . . . . .
Yes. BTMRR is a "thrill" ride, yet still kid friendly.....not toddler friendly. Those of us with the toddlers.....where is their favorite place???? Fantasyland of course! So this will not be a thrill ride. It will have some great theming I suspect, Barnstormer type "thrills" (Will NEVER forget the squeal of excitement from my 3 year old as we reached the top of the hill in the back car this past NOV ) in the way that little kids will enjoy a thrill. I should be a very cool ride but I would expect ride height to be 36".....similar to the Barnstormer.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

NO, I have no worry that they will shut down BTMRR. They won't be remotely the same ride.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #23
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

Disney doesn't have that many coasters to begin with - closing a headliner ride that is enormously popular would not be met with the kindest of criticisms.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #24
GJF323
Mouseketeer

Location: With the little Orange Bird up in the Sunshine Tree

I could ride BTMRR all day long, but will ride Mine Train a few times at most & only because of novelty. Not the same ride or audience.
GJF323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #25
granmanh603
DIS Veteran

For me I hope the mine train is not a big disappointment like the whole Fantsyland thing so far.

granmanh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #26
akadada
Doin' It All for My Baby.

BTM is not likely going anywhere. It is a good ride, it helps with crowds, and at this point, it seems iconic. If they wanted to add more excitement to BTM they could throw ninja stars at riders. That would likely shake it up and make it more memorable.
akadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #27
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadada View Post
BTM is not likely going anywhere. It is a good ride, it helps with crowds, and at this point, it seems iconic. If they wanted to add more excitement to BTM they could throw ninja stars at riders. That would likely shake it up and make it more memorable.
big Thunder is actually a terrible ride....but not worth getting rid of...

3 lift hills? thats almost coaster designing sacrilege...especially for a height of about 60 feet.

but anyway...disney does not take down rides on a whim...often they don't take down rides long after they should.
all disney rides - particularly at WDW - are built for capacity -to "eat up" 3000 riders per hour. Thats the point. to keep large crowds occupied.

No way they ever take big thunder down anytime soon...and they aren't even willing to take rides offline for much need refresher timeframes - because of the loss of capacity.

take space mountain last year: they did a cool upgrade at disneyland (the second space mountain - not the "iconic original") in 1999. It's a great twist on an old ride concept.
Couldn't bother to put either the dollars (a pittance by WDW standards) or the time in for the refit last year. all they did was shut it down for the bare minimum so that the thing would stay on the tracks. just because it eats guests (figuratively...not literally...the yeti does that...wait a minute).

So it is with big thunder. this thread is an interesting question...but in reality its not even in the realm of possibility from up here in the cheap seats.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #28
akadada
Doin' It All for My Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
big Thunder is actually a terrible ride....but not worth getting rid of...

3 lift hills? thats almost coaster designing sacrilege...especially for a height of about 60 feet.

but anyway...disney does not take down rides on a whim...often they don't take down rides long after they should.
all disney rides - particularly at WDW - are built for capacity -to "eat up" 3000 riders per hour. Thats the point. to keep large crowds occupied.

No way they ever take big thunder down anytime soon...and they aren't even willing to take rides offline for much need refresher timeframes - because of the loss of capacity.

take space mountain last year: they did a cool upgrade at disneyland (the second space mountain - not the "iconic original") in 1999. It's a great twist on an old ride concept.
Couldn't bother to put either the dollars (a pittance by WDW standards) or the time in for the refit last year. all they did was shut it down for the bare minimum so that the thing would stay on the tracks. just because it eats guests (figuratively...not literally...the yeti does that...wait a minute).

So it is with big thunder. this thread is an interesting question...but in reality its not even in the realm of possibility from up here in the cheap seats.

You seem to know more about coaster design than I do. I think it's good because when I was a teenage kid I met this cute girl in line and we sat next to each other and I sat the on the side where I knew the the physics of the turns forced her to crash into me. I also lost my camera on that ride. . . hmmm, cute girl wins, subsequently the ride is good.
akadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #29
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadada View Post
You seem to know more about coaster design than I do. I think it's good because when I was a teenage kid I met this cute girl in line and we sat next to each other and I sat the on the side where I knew the the physics of the turns forced her to crash into me. I also lost my camera on that ride. . . hmmm, cute girl wins, subsequently the ride is good.
well then...the metrics change and you have to apply a different formula.

all rides effectiveness vary based on the company present
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #30
yitbos96bb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpbarn01 View Post
I recently watched the simulated ride along on the Mine Train and it looks similar to BTM. I'm sure the finished product will produce an entirely different ride experience but I can't help but come back to the fact that essentially there will be two mine/train coasters in MK. Does anyone else think Mine Train will ultimately lead to the demise of BTM?
Dumbo and Aladdin are essentially the same ride as well in the same park. I do think it makes it easier to do an extended refurb of BTM, but I doubt they close one of the more popular attractions in the park. Plus they are developing that TV series around it as well, so if they did, it would be years from now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: