Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

Tips & other Misc Questions

We will be cruising on the Fantasy at the end of May with three teen boys.

Room service - How much do you generally tip?

Tips - Can you pre-pay tips? If not, who do I need to tip and when should I do it? I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I've never been on a cruise before and have no idea. How many $1 bills should I bring for a 7 night cruise in anticipation of leaving tips?

Drinks - I read that the ship charges for soda if delivered to the room. Would it be practical to bring a water bottle for each of the teens and tell them if they want soda in the room to go get it from an area that offers it for free?

Lanyards - I read that all that is necessary to carry around the ship is a room key that can be kept on a lanyard. Does anyone know the best place to purchase these ahead of time?

Meals - I assume that we eat wherever we want for breakfast and lunch, but we are assigned a restaurant for dinner each night. Is this correct? Do we leave a tip on the table for our meals or is this included in the package price of the cruise?

Is anyone else cruising out of Port Canaveral on May 25th?
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Room service we generally tip $1-$2 per item. You can pay your other gratuities ahead of time. You do not tip at breakfast or lunch.

Nathan's magical wish trip- Pre trip report [/U]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1866940
WDW twice including Nathan's MAW trip to WDW
8 cruises and counting- almost Platinum!
Disneyland- over 14 times and counting
oklamomof4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

Oh and each of our boys brings an insulated cup with a lid to refill at the drink station. You can not directly fill cups you brought from home at the drink station. You have to fill one of their paper cups and pour it into your own up for sanitary reasons.

Nathan's magical wish trip- Pre trip report [/U]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1866940
WDW twice including Nathan's MAW trip to WDW
8 cruises and counting- almost Platinum!
Disneyland- over 14 times and counting
oklamomof4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #4
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Tips are pre-paid, charged to your room account, and they're $12. per per person per day. the only $1. bills you'll need would be for room service or the luggage handlers at the dock and/or airport.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
Bluestars

Thank you oklamomof4boy and jdb in AZ. Your answers were very helpful. I had no idea that you couldn't fill your drink container at the multiplex. I will let the boys know the proper way to do it. That's not a problem at all.

Does $2 per bag sound like a reasonable tip for the luggage handlers at the dock? I don't want to undertip.

Are the tips for dinner pre-paid too?
Old 01-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The standard tips of $12 per guest per day will be charged to your onboard account whether you pre-pay them or not. Yes, you can pre-pay; just call DCL or your travel agent.

Tips for room service--$1-2 per item, but we max it at about $5 for the order. I don't tip $4 for 4 mickey bars! And I consider that my server and room host have a suggested tip of $4 per day...doesn't seem right that room service guy gets more than that for 10 minutes of walking down the hall.

Porters--$1-2 per bag. If you are not using DCL transportation, you will use the porters when you drop off bags. WHen my DD became a teen, we quit using them on the way home. I limit each of us to one rolling bag and one carry on and we are able to handle these on our own.

You don't tip for breakfast or lunch. The tips for these meals are reflected in the "suggested" tip that you give at dinner on the last night of the cruise (you'll get a coupon in your room to put in the tip envelope). Even though it is not likely that you will be served by YOUR server at breakfast and lunch, your guy is working somewhere serving someone else. The system just makes it easier for everyone. Yes, you go to your assigned place/time for dinner, but do breakfast and lunch anywhere you wish.

I threatened my kid that if she ever charged a soda, she'd lose her ability to charge. There is no reason for the kids to not go to the beverage station and get "included" sodas. Those delivered by room service or from a bar are almost $3 per can including tip.

If you order any bar item (alcohol or not), there is an automatic 15% tip added. you can opt to add more, but be aware that you have already tipped.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Bluestars

Thanks Kcashner. I'll have a talk with the boys about not paying for any sodas and to always use the free station. I will definitely pack a drink bottle for each of us.

If the $12 tip is added no matter what, I will talk to my travel agent about prepaying it. We are using private transportation and will handle our own bags getting off of the ship. Getting on the ship we will have to hand them off to someone I guess or can we take them to our rooms?

Here is a link to the lanyard I found.
http://www.disneystore.com/pin-acces...0285/#longDesc

It looks like a good price. It's $8.95.

Does the teen club provide drinks and snacks? Are they free?

Thanks.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

You can take your bags on board yourself IF they fit thru the airport sized scanner. The normal situation would be to hand them off to the porters who will meet your car/limo/whatever.

The kids can easily go from the Vibe to the pool deck to get snacks and beverages. On the classic ships they are not available in the teen space routinely, although they are happy to sell you a smoothie at any time.

$8.95 for a lanyard?????that's outrageous. Try Wal-mart where they are typically less than $2. Or, DVC provides lanyards to members if that applies in your case. For $8.95, you may as well wait and get them on the ship.

The $12 per guest per day is added to the room charge unless you specifically make other arrangements.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Bluestars

Thanks again Kcashner. Our bags will definitely be larger than what will fit through the scanner. I think my husband, son and I can fit our stuff in two large suitcases. Then my son's two friends will each have a large suitcase.

Thanks for the information on the lanyard. I will try Walmart first for that and the water bottles.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
The standard tips of $12 per guest per day will be charged to your onboard account whether you pre-pay them or not. Yes, you can pre-pay; just call DCL or your travel agent.
Hi, I'm going to jump in here for a question. We are doing are first Disney cruise, so all this is new information for me. We are traveling with our kids who will be 5 and 8. Are they also charged $12 in tips per day? Or is it just "Disney adults"? Thanks.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ses1230 View Post
Hi, I'm going to jump in here for a question. We are doing are first Disney cruise, so all this is new information for me. We are traveling with our kids who will be 5 and 8. Are they also charged $12 in tips per day? Or is it just "Disney adults"? Thanks.
Yes, it is for everyone.

IMHO, $12 per person per day for tips is cheap as far as tipping goes. I tip way more than that when we go to a local restaurant.
dbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarker View Post
Yes, it is for everyone.

IMHO, $12 per person per day for tips is cheap as far as tipping goes. I tip way more than that when we go to a local restaurant.
Thanks. I don't mind tipping for the kids, I just want to make sure I budget enough for it.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
RMAMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Tips for room service--$1-2 per item, but we max it at about $5 for the order. I don't tip $4 for 4 mickey bars! And I consider that my server and room host have a suggested tip of $4 per day...doesn't seem right that room service guy gets more than that for 10 minutes of walking down the hall.

Porters--$1-2 per bag. If you are not using DCL transportation, you will use the porters when you drop off bags. WHen my DD became a teen, we quit using them on the way home. I limit each of us to one rolling bag and one carry on and we are able to handle these on our own.

You don't tip for breakfast or lunch. The tips for these meals are reflected in the "suggested" tip that you give at dinner on the last night of the cruise (you'll get a coupon in your room to put in the tip envelope). Even though it is not likely that you will be served by YOUR server at breakfast and lunch, your guy is working somewhere serving someone else. The system just makes it easier for everyone. Yes, you go to your assigned place/time for dinner, but do breakfast and lunch anywhere you wish.

I threatened my kid that if she ever charged a soda, she'd lose her ability to charge. There is no reason for the kids to not go to the beverage station and get "included" sodas. Those delivered by room service or from a bar are almost $3 per can including tip.

If you order any bar item (alcohol or not), there is an automatic 15% tip added. you can opt to add more, but be aware that you have already tipped.
Is this in addition to the $12 per day, if I prepay the $12 tip what do I do with the envelope or do we not give one.

RMAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #14
RMAMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

How do we leave a tip for the room host, is that another envelope or is that automatically charged also? You mentioned server and room host so is that two people at $4.00 each person in the room?

RMAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
JacksGirlz
DIS Veteran

Here is the link to your specific cruise if you want to find other DISer's on the same cruise.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2819378

I have never used a lanyard but I have seen posts on the boards of the plastic holder from the lanyards breaking off and your key card being lost so just be careful.

We like to have breakfast delivered every morning we can and the All Hands on Deck Cheese Platter in the evenings so I always make sure to have enough $ bills for that. kcashner is spot on with the tipping info.

I hope you have a great time.

May 2006- Wilderness Lodge-1st trip to WDW, December 2006- Pop Century, October 2007- SSR and MNSSHP, November 2007- 1st Disney Cruise , January 2008 - SSR, Boardwalk, October 2008 - Pop Century and MNSSHP, March 2009 - Pop Century, May 2009 - VWL, December 2010-Pop Century and 1st MVMCP, March 2011- Disney Dream and SSR, January 2012 - Disney Wonder, March 2012 - Disney Magic and POR Royal Guest Room, March 2013 - Disney Fantasy and AofA Resort Little Mermaid Room, June 2013 - ABD Germany, Once Upon a Fairytale, July 2013 - ABD - Ireland, the Emerald Isle, August 2013 - Disney Wonder, July 2014 - DIS Exclusive Backstage Magic ABD
JacksGirlz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: