Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
criddla
Earning My Ears

Palo brunch and dinner times booked by a first timer... Hope I picked ok times....

OK our cruise appears sold out and I was able to book Palo for a brunch and dinner, but I am not sure whether to keep these times or try to change them when on board - any advice from experienced cruisers would be great! We are going on the 7 night Eastern on the Fantasy. I booked the brunch for 10:00 a.m. on our first full day - a sea day (hoping the kids can go to the club/lab during this time) and then at 8:30 p.m on our last night (castaway cay day). I hope we can go to the last show early, then dinner. Do these times sound ok? Should I try and change them for better times? Is there a noticeable difference between Palo brunch and dinner because DH thinks just paying for 1 experience at Palo is enough...I voted for 2 Thanks....
criddla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I don't know why you would want to change these times. Perhaps the last night will be a little difficult in packing for the trip home and the need to put suitcases outside your cabin?

We don't care for Pirate Night so we usually book adult dining for that night but really any night is good for us.

Oh, just thought of one more consideration. If you are on the Fantasy you'll want to be sure you are in AP the night of the "show".
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
oklamomof4boys
DIS Veteran

We also do Palo dinner on Pirate night, but we have experienced it before.

Brunch and dinner are very different experiences, IMO. Completely different food choices. I would definitely do both! We always do!

Nathan's magical wish trip- Pre trip report [/U]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1866940

4 night Wonder Cruise- July '07
Nathan's MAW trip to WDW- Nov '08
7 night NYE Magic Cruise- Dec '09
4night/5night back to back Dream Cruise followed by 6days at WDW-June '11
Disneyland- over 12 times and counting
oklamomof4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by criddla
OK our cruise appears sold out and I was able to book Palo for a brunch and dinner, but I am not sure whether to keep these times or try to change them when on board - any advice from experienced cruisers would be great! We are going on the 7 night Eastern on the Fantasy. I booked the brunch for 10:00 a.m. on our first full day - a sea day (hoping the kids can go to the club/lab during this time) and then at 8:30 p.m on our last night (castaway cay day). I hope we can go to the last show early, then dinner. Do these times sound ok? Should I try and change them for better times? Is there a noticeable difference between Palo brunch and dinner because DH thinks just paying for 1 experience at Palo is enough...I voted for 2 Thanks....
Doing Palo the last night can be tricky. BUT, if that's the only time you can get, I say go for it! If you can try both this time, that's ideal. That way next time you'll know which one to pick if your DH insists on just one

Here are my thoughts on doing Palo on the last night: On the last night, you need to pack and have your suitcases out by about 10. Which means you'll most likely need to set them out before you leave for Palo. Keep in mind that if you spend the day at CC, you'll have to return to your room in time to clean up four people for the shows and pack. Plus go to the show and then dress for dinner. It's a lot, especially with kids--oh, and you also have to feed the kids!

All that said, I would try to switch to another night if only because you have the kids added to the mix. It could work if you can get them to eat quickly at the pool deck after the show and then spend the evening in the kids clubs while you dress for dinner, finish packing, and eat dinner. My kids would be more than fine with that, but it ends up being a few hours and not all kids are ok with that much time in the clubs. And honestly, we skip the show on the last night because I don't like moving that fast on our last night.

But really, you'll make it work and have a great time, I'm sure. Being prepared is the key and it sounds like you've thought this through. Happy sailing!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
"Cinder" Ella's Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber

Doing Palo the last night can be tricky. BUT, if that's the only time you can get, I say go for it! If you can try both this time, that's ideal. That way next time you'll know which one to pick if your DH insists on just one

Here are my thoughts on doing Palo on the last night: On the last night, you need to pack and have your suitcases out by about 10. Which means you'll most likely need to set them out before you leave for Palo. Keep in mind that if you spend the day at CC, you'll have to return to your room in time to clean up four people for the shows and pack. Plus go to the show and then dress for dinner. It's a lot, especially with kids--oh, and you also have to feed the kids!

All that said, I would try to switch to another night if only because you have the kids added to the mix. It could work if you can get them to eat quickly at the pool deck after the show and then spend the evening in the kids clubs while you dress for dinner, finish packing, and eat dinner. My kids would be more than fine with that, but it ends up being a few hours and not all kids are ok with that much time in the clubs. And honestly, we skip the show on the last night because I don't like moving that fast on our last night.

But really, you'll make it work and have a great time, I'm sure. Being prepared is the key and it sounds like you've thought this through. Happy sailing!
Can't you just carry off your own luggage for disembarkation? This seems easier than having it all ready by 10:00. Do most people leave it out the night before?
"Cinder" Ella's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
OKW Lover

Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post
Can't you just carry off your own luggage for disembarkation? This seems easier than having it all ready by 10:00. Do most people leave it out the night before?
Yes you can carry your own luggage off. You can also put some of it out and just keep one larger suitcase to wrestle with in the morning.

Most people do leave their luggage out the night before.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom View Post

Depends on how much luggage you have, and how organized you are. We met a couple on a 15-day DCL cruise who had all their stuff in one carry-on each.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Cinder" Ella's Mom

Can I personally carry off the luggage? No. I have two littles who are basically useless as luggage porters . And we live in Orlando so I freely overpack just because I can. The OP also has kids, but if she packs lightly enough and/or has family members willing to tote the luggage, then yes!

Most people put it out the night before. If everyone were dragging their luggage to breakfast and off the ship it would be even more of a mess than it already can be . But if you want to be off the ship ASAP, it's a great idea.
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

If you are on a 7-night cruise pack the dirty clothes you have in a trashbag in luggage on the afternoon of day 3. On the morning of CC keep out clothes for dinner, PJs, swim stuff for CC and clothes to wear off the ship and pack everything else. Put the suitcases against the wall in your stateroom. When you get back from CC put those out in the hallway and get ready for dinner. Put your swim stuff in big ziplock bags in the front of a bag. You can put your clothes from dinner in a carryon to take off with you in the morning.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

We have done Palo on the last night. We never felt rushed to get clothes packed. Just do it ahead of time.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by criddla View Post

. . . Do these times sound ok?
I would keep those times and not stress about it.

There have been instances where I could not get a Palo reservation either in advance or upon boarding.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
kcashner
DIS Veteran

They look fine to me. Enjoy!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
txaggie94gigem
Cruisin' with Disney
Water is #1

Go to brunch!!!! Love both but brunch is my favorite...and the first time on first day means they will have everything all fresh!
Disney Magic 8 day Bahamas April 26, 2013; Disney Magic Anniversary cruise Feb 5, 2013; WDW 2012; Universal 2011 (the shame!); Disney Dream Dec 2011; Disney Dream Maiden Voyage Jan 2011; WDW Dec 2010; WDW June 2010; WDW May 2009; Disney Magic May 2008 Panama Canal; Disney Magic May 12, 2007 1st Transatlantic Crossing to the Med; Disney Magic Nov 2006 Castaway Cay Double Dip; Disneyland June 2006; Disney Magic Oct 2005; Disney Wonder Nov 2004; WDW Nov 2004; WDW Jan 1993; WDW May 1988

txaggie94gigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
BosMan
BosMan

palo or remy?

would you do Palo brunch? or REMY brunch?
BosMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
OKW Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosMan
would you do Palo brunch? or REMY brunch?
Both
Each is very different

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: