Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #16
disykat
DIS Veteran

I would actually DO the games if she is shy, to take the focus off of her and give people her a chance to interact casually with new aquaintances.

I'd do really casual ones that people don't HAVE to participate in, but that incourage some interaction. For example, at different areas around the room you could have things like "write advice for the bride and groom." Another station could have something like "guess the spice." (the bride gets new spices) A 3rd station could have some sort of table linen item (like a few cloth napkins or dish drying towels) that people could sign or even decorate.

If you are doing finger food, people could mingle, eat, and particpate as desired.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #17
AmericangirlinFrance
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandannette View Post
Just curious...weird in what way?
Well, not weird-bad, just awkward weird. DH's family lives waaaay far away in a tiny town (800 people), so I have only really met his immediate family. Some of his parents' friends, 5 ladies they go to church with, hosted the shower (but I've never met any of these people). They invited basically all the women in the church and others in town.

Anyway, the shower was held in the church nursery room, and there were probably 30 women there. The ONLY people there I had ever met before were my DH's mom and sister. They had the chairs for the guests set up in rows, like you would for a class or something. So I sat up front in a chair at a table, and they all sat there and watched me open my gifts like I was on stage. My DH came after most of the shower was over so he could say hello to everyone (he doesn't get back home very often living so far away). He said the seating arrangement seemed a little confrontational.

And every time I opened a gift, it was like "Oh, this is from Mary Smith... umm..." and Mary Smith would have to raise her hand because of course I had no idea who she was, and it was just so awkward.

Everyone was nice, it was just bizarre being at a bridal shower where you know no one. And they did have cake and punch.

Florida residents!
AmericangirlinFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #18
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

I don't think you'd want to do one like mine!

DH and I had rented a house a couple of months before we got married and we needed that much time to clean it and make it fit to live in again.

The previous renters were filthy pigs, and it took the landlady a long time to force them out. So, they left a mess.

Anyway, we were close to being done by the time our wedding was a couple weeks away so my maid-of-honor got the bright idea to "surprise me" by having a shower for me, at OUR house.

We had very little furniture, but someone brought a bunch of folding chairs. There were no decorations, and back then (1975) showers were basically just cake and punch, play a couple games and open the gifts.

I was wearing bib overalls and of course had nothing to change into.

There were about 20-25 people there and the main thing that I remember was a couple of DH's aunts made a really cute gift. They took a mop bucket and filled it with cleaning supplies, in the center was a broom and rolls of paper towel were covering the handle. They had attached a paper plate to the top of the broom for a "face" and her eyes were steel wool scrubbies (don't remember what her nose and mouth were), they tied a red bandana around the top of her "head", wooden spoons were her arms, and they even tied an apron around her waist. It was so unusual that I've never forgotten it.

It was nice being surprised, but I would have enjoyed it more had it been somewhere else.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #19
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

I wanted a backyard barbeque but what a fiasco that started. I didn't want to be stuck in some restaurant/hall and then rushed out because time was up. I wanted a laid back, relaxed shower. Figured I'd have it MIL's backyard since she lived in the town where most of the attendees were from (and where I lived). My mother got herself in a tizzy because SHE was the mother of the bride and it should be at her house. Unfortunately that meant everyone would have to travel. It was only convenient for her. MIL, in turn, threatened that no one from DH's side would come. My MOH let me in on what was going on and I told her to tell them all to go to (well you get the idea). Anyway, I told her she was MOH and she should do what she wanted.

They had it in a hall, but was definitely backyard barbeque themed. Red and white checked plastic table clothes, plastic bugs on the tables, plastic water guns, bubbles... the bridal party and I sat in lawn chairs, they had a little plastic kiddie pool for me to soak my feet in, bought a small portable grill and had plastic doggie toys (steak, hot dog, burgers) on it. Everyone was told to wear comfortable, yard type clothing and they brought shorts and a tshirt for me to change into. I LOVED IT! I honestly can't remember whether it was sitdown or buffet style (it was 20 years ago) but I remembered how impressed I was with the whole theme.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #20
anniemck
DIS Veteran

11am on a Sunday morning, had about 10 people in attendance at a diner several of us had thought about trying. My daughter (24) and my now SIL put the shower on. The diner reserved a section of the patio for us, we played a couple games waiting for food to be served and opened gifts waiting for the check and just talking. It was very nice.

Now my daughter (22) is getting married next month and my daughter (24) is throwing her shower, it is a pot luck and a friends house on a Sunday afternoon. Everyone will bring a dish and the recipe for the dish to compile a cookbook. We live in FL, my daughter is getting married in TN, the shower will be in FL. Now her fmil had a shower for her in October, and had made ham, mac/cheese, beans, salad, vegi cups and had ring sandwiches. It was very nice. We played a couple games, ate, opened gifts had dessert.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #21
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

My shower was held on a Saturday afternoon in the community center of the small town my my lived in. Relatives, friends, co-workers. My mom, grandma, MIL and bridal hosted. We had hot chicken sandwiches, meatballs and salads. My aunt made my cake. We didn't do any games but each guest was asked to fill out a card with a piece of advice for DH and I. As I opened gifts, I picked cards and read the advice. Some were very funny, some were very touching.

Ironically, we all met exactly one year later for my baby shower!

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
Patience
DIS Veteran

I hosted a bridal shower for my niece two years ago. We did a really fun game that would probably work well for a shy bride because all she has to do is be a judge. Here's how it works:

Divide your group into smaller groups of 3 or 4 people. Have each group designate who is going to be their "model". Give each group a roll of toilet paper and tell them they have to design an entire wedding dress including veil, flowers , etc entirely out of toilet paper for their model to wear. Give each group 10 minutes to dress their bride model. They came up with some creative bridal outfits and the bride picked the winning dress and team. Everyone really had fun and was laughing by the end of the game so it was a nice ice breaker.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #23
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

I've only been to two showers, one was held in someone's home and the other was in the back area of a family style Chinese restaurant.

That restaurant one was more fun because I was older. It was for my cousin's bride to be. There were games, mainly about how well you know the bride and groom. That was awkward, I'm not especially close with my family so I didn't know a whole lot.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if mine (if the time ever comes! Prince Charming where the heck are ya?!) was held in a home. I would prefer a restaurant, and the afternoon tea makes me think somewhere at the Grand Floridian would be perfect but way too expensive.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #24
apirateslifeforme
The Next Mrs. Simon LeBon
On a serious note, I have to agree with the pantyhose and buttfloss
Rare. Bloody rare. Still mooing

Mine was 2 months before our wedding at a local restaurant. I don't remember exactly how many people were there, but definitely no more than 20. Most of the guests were close friends and family of my MIL (as were most of the wedding guests - I only have a few female friends, my mother, and her BFF who is like another mother to me). It was hosted by my MIL, DH's sister (my MOH and only attendant) and DH's SIL (our reader). It was in the early afternoon on a Sunday; after lunch and before dinner, so it wasn't packed. We had a room to ourselves and a lovely buffet. The restaurant actually doesn't have desserts, so MIL was able to bring in an outside cake. It was very small and relaxed and wonderful - just like our wedding!

We all liked the restaurant so much that we had our rehearsal dinner there as well - and DH and I went back for our first anniversary dinner
Old 01-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #25
HsvTeacher
DIS Veteran

I had three showers, and my favorite was hosted by my aunts. They hosted a tea party at my parents' house, and people came and went over a few hours. It was simple, not overwhelming, and I was able to visit with small groups of people. There were no games, thank goodness!
Once a Year from 1992-1997-Off Site*September 2008-ASMu*March 2009-POP *May 2009-SSR and AKV Kidani*June 2009-Vero Beach*October 2009-AKV Kidani*May 2010-AKV Kidani*June 2010-Vero Beach*June 2010-AKV Kidani*July 2010-SSR*October 2010-SSR*December 2010-Swan*December 2010-DCL Wonder*December 2010-AKL CL Jambo*April 2011-VWL*May 2011-My Sister's House*June 2011-BCV and BLT*June 2012-AKL CL Jambo*June 2012-DCL Fantasy*June 2012-AKV Kidani*July 2013-SSR*March 2014-AKV Kidani

(Me) (DH) * DVC Members (AKV) Since February 2009

HsvTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #26
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_Rides View Post
My shower was held on a Saturday afternoon in the community center of the small town my my lived in. Relatives, friends, co-workers. My mom, grandma, MIL and bridal hosted. We had hot chicken sandwiches, meatballs and salads. My aunt made my cake. We didn't do any games but each guest was asked to fill out a card with a piece of advice for DH and I. As I opened gifts, I picked cards and read the advice. Some were very funny, some were very touching.

Ironically, we all met exactly one year later for my baby shower!
I really like the bolded idea.......that would be quite helpful/amusing for my son and future DIL!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #27
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty 34

I really like the bolded idea.......that would be quite helpful/amusing for my son and future DIL!
My SIL put them into a mini scrapbook for us! Whenever I'm feeling like the weight of the world is on our marriage, I pull that little book out and read the loving words our family and friends gave to us. Always helps!

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #28
Kitty 34
Hums in her sleep, but never when she's awake
I only raise tomatos for those cute caterpillars... but I won't go near a tomato
Never underestimate the TF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_Rides View Post
My SIL put them into a mini scrapbook for us! Whenever I'm feeling like the weight of the world is on our marriage, I pull that little book out and read the loving words our family and friends gave to us. Always helps!
My future DIL would probably love (and need) something like that going far away from home not knowing anyone but my son come this March. The longest she has ever been away from home was in 6th grade when she went to a 2-week camp. She's 22 but stayed at home while commuting to college.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:20 PM   #29
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

I had two showers, one with family and my mother's close friends who I knew rather well. For that one we did a brunch thing at 1030am and we had egg casserole, cinnamon rolls, fruit and mimosa's(coffee, tea and water as well) and after we ate I opened gifts and we talked. I loved it!

The second was more of a lingerie shower with friends. Lots of booze and other things.... haha. I won't go into it more.

pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #30
kidzmom3
DIS Veteran
Would tell all for a free cruise!

In my experience, bridal and baby showers are a lot more elaborate then those described. (so it may be a regional question). Never any games, never never.
Restaurant, Hall or Hotel banquet room. 50-100 people. catered food, entertainment, elaborate decorations and favors. Semi formal attire (ladies who lunch type suits, dresses, heels, full makeup and jewelry)
kidzmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: