Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #16
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

We have never

done goodie bags as I hate all the junk. We always just do one small item. I would probably do an inexpensive beach towel, or cute mugs.. they can have hot chocolate with their candy.

They might have fun with plain pillowcases and fabric markers too that they can decorate at night.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #17
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

I don't think goody bags are necessary at all! You are providing them with an awesome experience!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #18
IDoDis
Knows the password to get into the Water Buffalo Lodge

My kids stopped getting party favors when they hit middle school. And by that age they didn't care. I would actually be SURPRISED if my DD was a guest and DID receive a party favor.

So heck no! The party is way more than enough.
Disney World ~ Pop Century, May '06
Disney World ~Windsor Hills, May '08
Disney World ~Wilderness Lodge, June '09
Disneyland ~ Offsite, Oct '10
Disney World ~ Boardwalk Inn, June '12
IDoDis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #19
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

I hate hate hate "goody bags" Nothing but junk. If you feel you need to do something. At this age it might be cool to buy cheap T-shirt ($4 at Michaels I think) and fabric paints and let them make a T-shirt that is also their party favor.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #20
TLuvsD
DIS Veteran

Another option, although I don't think the favors are necessary, would be to take a lot of photos and do inexpensive photobooks. Or a group photo in an inexpensive frame. But really I don't think they are needed.
TLuvsD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #21
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

I vote not even remotely necessary!! I know what GWL costs for our family of 4. I shudder to think what a group costs, including all food etc.

This is a wonderful gift, not only to the birthday girl, but all the guests!!
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #22
Patience
DIS Veteran

I hate goodie bags full of junk too. I try to give each child one party favor. I have given horse figurines at a horseback riding party, swim goggles at a swim party, etc. My 5 year old daughter wants a Hello Kitty party for her next birthday in the spring. We are having it at a children 's art studio and they are doing a Hello Kitty craft. I am planning to hand out Hello Kitty pez dispensers as party favors.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #23
jentifred
Earning My Ears

It only just now occurred to me that I forgot to do favors for DS's last birthday party. He turned six. In April. I meant to....just forgot!
jentifred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #24
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

I don't see why a goodie bag is necessary at that age. I like the idea of a beach towel from the Lodge or picture frame and a picture from the weekend.

Another idea is nail polish and manicure stuff. Maybe the girls would want to do manicures/pedicures at the lodge in the room.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #25
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

I don't do favors for birthdays and never will.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #26
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

I know GWL has sack type bags for like $6 if you wanted to get them something. But I definitely don't think it's necessary. Have a great time!!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #27
JamesMom
DIS Veteran

For my son's 8th, 9th and 10th we did a Great Wolf Lodge party. I got excellent groupon deals. The same 2 buds were present at all three.
8th: Water park only - no favors.
9th: Magi Quest added - gave wands as favor (gotten free with a gift card promo)
10th: Sleep over - boys brought their old wands and parents paid the activiation. Groupon included lunch for all for 2 days and we bought pizza for dinner and donuts for breakfast. No favors necessary.
Everybody was fine with us babysitting their kids for days on end, lol.

Trip Report: May 9-15, 2010 - Mother & Son at POR w/Free QS Dinning: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post36675492

Trip Report: December 14-20, 2008 - Mother and Son (6yo) at Contemporary w/Free Dinning: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2038015
JamesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #28
Fueledbycoffee
Mouseketeer

Goodie bags not required!

You could also buy some fun nail polish colors for them to use when they got back to the room. Walgreens carries Sinful Colors that are really nice & cheap!
Fueledbycoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #29
MouseEarsJenny
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the ideas. We may definitely go without favors at all, but I do like the idea of giving them something to do for the hours the waterpark is closed and they are supposed to be quiet in the hotel room. Although, I'm a bit scared to give them fabric paint and nail polish in a hotel room - I'm having nightmare visions of charges for carpet stains.

I was planning on making a collage of pictures for the front of the thank-you cards, but I could frame it instead - maybe magnetic locker frames.

Childhood Visits Offsite, FW Cabins 2002, Pop 2006 (Incomplete Trip Report/Scrapbook), CSR Grand Gathering July 2009 (Trip Report), Pop 2010 (Trip Report)
MouseEarsJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:40 AM   #30
HeatherFeather
The apostrophe just completes me

Agreed that she is beyond the age where the friends will expect goody bags or favors from the party. I'm with the other parent that said they hated them...most of the time they were just junk I had to toss eventually when DD was at school. We did have a few that were useful, like a beach towel or a string bag.

That said, last year I found really nice Philosophy Amazing Grace shimmer powder compacts and Philosophy purse brushes at Big Lots for $3 each. I bought several of each and made paper purses and put them in there for the 5 girls at DD's last birthday. They loved them.

I think nail polish is a great idea. Just make sure you bring some remover, cotton balls, and q-tips for "mistakes."

HeatherFeather is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: