Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
MouseEarsJenny
DIS Veteran

Are Party Favors Necessary?

Not in general, but in specific - my daughter's sweet sixteen is in two weeks. She was given the option of the big party with everyone she knows invited, or a smaller party of just friends at a cooler location. She opted to invite six friends to go with her to Great Wolf Lodge for a slumber party and to use the indoor waterpark.

We are planning to decorate the suite, although the decorations will be necessarily low-key due to the fact that it's a hotel room. We are setting up a small candy buffet, but with 7 teenaged girls staying overnight, we're not expecting that any of the candy will make it home in favor bags or boxes - it's intended to be eaten as they watch movies or whatever once the waterpark closes.

We are covering the cost of the suite, all their meals for a nearly 24 hour period, and in some cases the trip to the lodge (including renting a car to have room for all of them). Do you think guests or their parents will be annoyed at the lack of favors? If we provide favors, what should we give? If your child were invited to this party, would you find it weird if no favors were given?

Thanks!

Childhood Visits Offsite, FW Cabins 2002, Pop 2006 (Incomplete Trip Report/Scrapbook), CSR Grand Gathering July 2009 (Trip Report), Pop 2010 (Trip Report)
MouseEarsJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
abdmom
DIS Veteran

I have a ds17 and dd14. By this age, they wouldn't expect party favors. They might event think it was weird if they got them.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

IMO at that age favors are not necessary. They are getting a great day out with loads of fun that is enough. Did the same for DD when she turned 18 and I didn't have any favors.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
RachelEllen
DIS Veteran

I always thuoght of favors as more of a little kid thing. We didn't do them past age 10 or so. So no, I wouldn't think twice about no favors. What would you even give?
RachelEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #5
MouseEarsJenny
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I can't believe it didn't occur to me until I read these replies that Kai hasn't GOTTEN a favor from a party in years. We only give her parties every two years, and her 14 party was cancelled due to a major snowstorm, so we haven't thrown her a birthday party in four years - at twelve, we still did favors. But that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the reassurance! Back to finding purple candy...

Childhood Visits Offsite, FW Cabins 2002, Pop 2006 (Incomplete Trip Report/Scrapbook), CSR Grand Gathering July 2009 (Trip Report), Pop 2010 (Trip Report)
MouseEarsJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
rszdtrvl
DIS Veteran

The trip to the lodge, meals, and stuff is plenty. Is there a teen room? I know at the Grand Mound GWL there is a Gr8Space teen room. Last time I took my boys (DS and 2 of my "kids from anotha motha") they had a blast in the teen room. It is not inexpensive though - especially when you add up the amount of kids you are taking.

My boys hung out in the Gr8Space until it closed and then hung out in the lobby with people they met in Gr8Space (other teens) until the wee morning hours. I want to say they made it back to the room around 3am or so. Just talking and hanging out.

Goodie bags are not necessary. Maybe $5/girl extra if you want to make sure they can play in the arcade. We did a $10/day limit on our boys for the arcade.
rszdtrvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Party favors are not necessary - but if you bring your camera, you might want to take some pictures of her with her friends, and then give each girl a print after the party Edited: you could even put the photo in a cheap frame (Christmas Tree Shop or something) to give after the party.

Great idea for a party, by the way! Sounds like it is going to be a lot of fun!!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP

Last edited by marcyinPA; 01-05-2013 at 10:27 AM.
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Of course they are.

We reserved a section of Cali Grill for the dinning part of our daughters. We handed out these crystal slippers to all involved.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

Sounds like a wonderful BD celebration for your lucky DD..... Sweet 16th to her!!

Honestly, with such a special week-end celebration planned w/friends at lodge, don't think teens that age (nor parents) are going to care about a goodie bag ! I agree, they'll have plenty of cool souvie pics amongst them . We've done a family wkend at GWL w/grands (ages 2-20) and it was totally awesome!!

Art, that slipper is so sweet!!
Had BD luncheon at CRT and had Cindy's cake slippers made for our 3 adult DD's on our family trip...they were a big hit!!
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
4nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Heavens no. Especially not at that age.

And I'm going to go further and suggest we stop it with the favors for ALL ages. My kids don't care about them and as a parent I'm going to throw them away as soon as my kid isn't looking. The last thing I need is more dollar store junk at my house. Neither of my kids have ever commented about not recieving a party favor. Save your money.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #11
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Dd16 only gets favors from the formal sweet 16 parties (held at wedding venues). My favorite was a shot glass.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #12
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

We did goody bags for DD's Sweet 16. We were going to Awesome 80's Prom in NYC so I did neon tshirts and bracelets, 80's type candy, glow sticks.... the girls loved it. Would they have been disappointed without it? No, but I had a good time putting everything together and they did enjoy them.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

It's probably a regional thing.

Around here, there are favors at most parties, and at just about all the Sweet 16s.

Does Great Wolf Lodge sell Beach Towels? They might be a fun way of remembering the trip. Or pick up some frames, and get a picture of each of the girls to include.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
Tinijocaro
DIS Veteran

At 16? No way. Especially considering the cost of the water park.

Dd just turned 11 and I felt goodie bags (full of junk) were not necessary. DD did end up making each girl (11 of them) a sled made from candy canes and chocolates. It was an idea I saw on Pinterest. The girls loved them.
Tinijocaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

About th eonly thing I might have is bags in case the girl wanted to try and take some candy home.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: