Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
halfmonkey
Mouseketeer

Sausalito

Has anyone been to Sausalito and if so, can you provide some feedback on what kind of an area it is and if there's anything there worth checking out? We have DS6, DS4.5, and DD8months so we would like some family friendly activities.
halfmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
GrandBob
Grand events should not go unnoticed
That's the Disney master plan!
For a carnivore, it was very good indeed

Shops, upscale restaurants, harbors with boats. Lovely place for a couple of adults, but I can't think of any kid-friendly activities in the area.

If you want to spend a day with kids somewhere in Marin County, I'd recommend combining Muir Woods with a drive to the top of Mt. Tamalpais. They both have hiking trails. And on a clear day, from the top of Mt Tam you can sometimes see all the way to the Sierra Nevada.

-Bob
GrandBob is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
larina
DIS Veteran

I agree with Bob. I grew up in S.F. and I was always bored stiff in Sausalito as a child. I loved the walk across the Golden Gate Bridge to get there (we'd take the ferry back) and the pizza, and sometimes ice cream, we'd get, but the shops were just boring and there's nothing else to do there.
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
halfmonkey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
Shops, upscale restaurants, harbors with boats. Lovely place for a couple of adults, but I can't think of any kid-friendly activities in the area.

If you want to spend a day with kids somewhere in Marin County, I'd recommend combining Muir Woods with a drive to the top of Mt. Tamalpais. They both have hiking trails. And on a clear day, from the top of Mt Tam you can sometimes see all the way to the Sierra Nevada.

-Bob
We've thought of doing that drive on a pervious trip to SF but we'll be with my mom and mother-in-law and they don't do well on curvy and wnding roads. I don't want to give them that yucky feeling all day so we may just have to pass on Saulsalito and Muir Woods.
halfmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
bcla
DIS Veteran

Point Reyes and/or the Marin Headlands. If they like lighthouses, there's the Point Reyes Lighthouse and the Point Bonita Lighthouse. You have to be careful around those areas though. Best not to let them run around next to the railings at Point Bonita. They also have limited hours.

There are a few places around Sausalito including the Bay Area Discovery Museum, a children's' museum that occupies several former Army buildings. Maybe the Marine Mammal Center? Sausalito can be fun for an hour or so, but it's mostly a tourist trap (not that there's anything wrong with it).

In another thread I recommend going across the Bay to Tilden Regional Park. Kids will love that.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: