Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
jennifer in canada
Mouseketeer

Blue lagoon on own vs DCL???

Anyone plan on doing or have done a blue lagoon dolphin encounter by booking on their own vs booking through the DCL?It is cheaper but wondering the drawbacks and would appreciate some advice!

Thanks
jennifer in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
tnkrbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer in canada View Post
Anyone plan on doing or have done a blue lagoon dolphin encounter by booking on their own vs booking through the DCL?It is cheaper but wondering the drawbacks and would appreciate some advice!

Thanks
I can tell you our experience last March. We went with a group of families to Blue lagoon. I paid through the ship and paid much more then my friends who bought directly through blue lagoon. We all sailed over on Blue Lagoons boat from the port at Nassau. Just make sure you are coming back to the boat on time.
I was afraid to buy not through the ship that is why I did it that way but I just ended up paying more then everyone else. ;/
tnkrbell is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
jennifer in canada
Mouseketeer

That's what I wondered about, we plan on trying to get the first boat over there and hoped we might avoid some of the crowd booking thought the cruise line itself, yet save some of the money.so I guess we just go over to the boat launch and wait there?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
bahacca
Mouseketeer

You need to research BLs policies as well. If you pay them directly and the boat cannot dock or you are late to port, will they give you a refund? Will you be able to reschedule for another time? Also, how would you plan on notifying BL if this were to happen? If you pay through DCL and this happens(you do not stop in port or there is horrible weather, etc), then DCL refunds you your money. Also, if you go through DCL, they will make 100% sure you get back on the ship. If you fall asleep on the beach, lose track of time, the catamaran is full of people from DCL returning so there is no space for you(I have no idea if this could happen, but I'd ask!)noone will try to find you so you may miss the last ship back to port.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
jennifer in canada
Mouseketeer

Ok I will have to check into those things for sure!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
neg58
DIS Veteran

When my daughter did the dolphin swim and I was an observer, I think I would have saved $15 and my daughter $25 not booking though Disney. It was our first cruise, our first port and thus our first excursion. I was okay paying the extra $40 for the insurance of getting to the excursion on time, cancellation insurance, etc. Once I did it and saw how easy it was (it is really right on the same dock the ships pull into, everyone speaks English), I'd save the $40 next time. If you have a bigger group, very worth it to save the money.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
gone2disney
Mouseketeer

Blue Lagoon Question/Advice/Tips

Going on our first cruise in July. I know many of you stay on the ship at Nassau and I'd prefer to do the same. Dh, however, wants to do something. We are leaning towards one of the Blue Lagoon excursions. We have early dining and just wondering if it is tight getting back in time to shower and be ready for dinner. We'd like to experience all of the main restaurants. Thanks for any advice or BL tips
02/08 GF
09/08 WL
06/09 BC
09/10 BC
09/11 GF
07/13 Windsor Hills
gone2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
tweis
DIS Veteran

This is an excursion that we are considering for our upcoming cruise and according to the DCL website, you are given two different times to choose from for returning to the port. If you are worried about dinner, I would choose the earlier of the two.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
STLDisney_Freak
I don't have a short attention span, I just.....OH look a kitty! Cats are like potato chips you can't have just one! Chihauhuas, Shih Tzus and Pugs! Oh My!

We tried purchasing directly though Blue Lagoon and they knew we were on DCL they would not sell us the tickets. They told us we had to go directly though DCL. They had a contract with DCL or something.

Cruises sailed: 12/08 Magic - Western, 09/10 Wonder - DVC Member, 10/11 Dream - Bahamas, 05/13 Fantasy - Western, 03/14 -RC Brilliance of the Seas - STEELERS cruise! 10/14 - Wonder Double Dip
STLDisney_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

DH and DD did the dolphin swim and I went along as an observer. I don't remember having a choice of times, but ours was in the morning. We spent about and hour and a half at the beach at Blue Lagoon Island after the dolphin swim and still made it back to the ship in plenty of time to shower and get dressed for dinner. We had an amazing experience on this excursion and highly recommend it.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
DH and DD did the dolphin swim and I went along as an observer. I don't remember having a choice of times, but ours was in the morning. We spent about and hour and a half at the beach at Blue Lagoon Island after the dolphin swim and still made it back to the ship in plenty of time to shower and get dressed for dinner. We had an amazing experience on this excursion and highly recommend it.
It may have recently changed (I hope not) but this is from DCL's website:

•Take an approximate 30-minute boat ride back to the pier. Note: A choice of 2 return times is included giving you the flexibility to return to Nassau after spending either 3.5 hours or 5.5 hours on this beautiful private island.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
nkochrn
Mouseketeer

I tried to book the dolphin encounter directly and got the email that I wasn't able to do so.
nkochrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
bmahokie
Mouseketeer

Apparently on days where DCL is in port Blue Lagoon is NOT allowed to sell directly. Only through DCL. If you can get tickets directly through Blue Lagoon on your Nassau day then you can go for it - but with the warnings about refunds, cancellations as mentioned above. And you SHOULD tell them you are on a DCL cruise.

However, do NOT try and buy thru a 3rd party reseller. I did that, and even after calling Blue Lagoon to verify this company was legit (BL said it was) we had an issue when we got to the office. BL tried to tell me that since I was on a DCL cruise then I was required to go through DCL. And since I didn't, I had no reservation - even though I had a reservation number from this other company. That other company sure didn't mention that, and they knew I was on a Disney cruise. But BL said on DCL days all reservations were purchased by DCL, and that all reservations had to be made through them.

I was REALLY angry - and don't normally get that way. To BL's credit, they knew this company and called them for me from the office and got them to refund my credit card. That was small consolation at that point, because I had 2 disappointed children. (I wish I could remember this company's name, so I could flame them.)

But then BL went above and beyond by giving me my family of 4 a FREE Dolphin Encounter. We had purchased the Swim With The Dolphins, and due to strict regulations about how many people can do that during a day and/or session there were no openings left for that. But they did give us all free Encounters for the day. I even kept trying to pay them, telling them it wasn't really their fault that this shady 3rd party company gave me a bad reservation. But they insisted on doing what they could. They even called over to the island while we were there just to make sure my family was having a good time.

So when all was said and done it worked out great - and for free. BTW, Blue Lagoon was VERY relaxing. My family found it a nice change of pace from the frantic pace of the ship. We love DCL cruises, but being on a quiet island for a few hours was very rejuvenating!
Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
It may have recently changed (I hope not) but this is from DCL's website:

•Take an approximate 30-minute boat ride back to the pier. Note: A choice of 2 return times is included giving you the flexibility to return to Nassau after spending either 3.5 hours or 5.5 hours on this beautiful private island.
When we went (last year at this time), we had the option of leaving at 1:00, 2:00, or 4:00. I remember wishing that there had been a 3:00 since we would have liked to stay for a little while longer but didn't want to wait until 4:00.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
When we went (last year at this time), we had the option of leaving at 1:00, 2:00, or 4:00. I remember wishing that there had been a 3:00 since we would have liked to stay for a little while longer but didn't want to wait until 4:00.
That is great to know! Thanks so much

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: