Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #106
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Please drop the pool hopping debate.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:49 AM   #107
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
... And as you can see by some of the posters, lots of people are still happy to pay the prices....
Willing to pay ... yes ... but I wouldn't exactly say "happy" to pay
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 PM   #108
misfitmary
Earning My Ears

I would never pay those prices, but certainly don't begrudge those who do.

We go for the parks only. We hit the ground running early in the morning and stay until the parks close. We consider our rooms as places to sleep, shower, and store our clothes.

On the flip side, we have friends who are meeting up with us and they are staying in a deluxe resort. They prefer a much slower pace. They would rather sit on the balcony and drink coffee all morning and hit just a few rides in the afternoon.

18 more days!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #109
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

I agree. You can get so much more offsite for those prices.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Old 01-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #110
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

[QUOTE=Kristibo42;47111001]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissathePooh View Post

Kind a rude aren't you. I just stated what I did. It really not any different that using the restaurants is it? You don't pay for that resort either.
You didn't pay for your food???

It is different. And pool hopping is against the rules. And is is against the rules of the Dis to post ways to break Disney's rules. Ok?

Movin on...
Old 01-07-2013, 01:33 PM   #111
sharkyandbones
Earning My Ears

I agree that the deluxe prices are pretty steep, especially looking at it from the perspective of a large family. We've always felt that Disney was designed for families of 4. Any more than that, you are looking at either multiple rooms or a suite, which significantly raises your cost. The value just isn't there for us.

Luckily, we have been able to talk other family members into tagging along and splitting the cost of adjoining moderate rooms in the past. But we would love to be able to experience a deluxe someday, maybe when the kids are a little older. We feel that if we spent that kind of money, even with a discount, that we'd want to get more use out of our resort than just a place to lay our heads.

Now the other wrinkle is that the larger the family, the better a deal that free dining works out to be. And it will always trump a room discount for our family. We love the dining experience and couldn't imagine a WDW trip without 'Ohana, Chef Mickey and Via Napoli to name a few.

Offsite 1984**POR 9/2010**ASMu 1/2012**POFQ 12/2012**POFQ 9/2013
Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #112
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamkat1820 View Post
I really don't want to vacation any where else we tried that in between our trips and all I did was say its not disney or if we were at disney .....
We do the same thing. We stayed at a waterpark resort this summer and paid a fair amount for a 2 bedroom with a kitchen and the whole time, I kept finding reasons it wasn't good enough and kept literally saying "But at Disney..." or "If this were Disney..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw View Post
Willing to pay ... yes ... but I wouldn't exactly say "happy" to pay
True. I pay it because I have no real option. I'd happily take a discount, but I willingly pay whatever they're charging because I need the bigger space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkyandbones View Post
I agree that the deluxe prices are pretty steep, especially looking at it from the perspective of a large family. We've always felt that Disney was designed for families of 4. Any more than that, you are looking at either multiple rooms or a suite, which significantly raises your cost.
Exactly. I don't consider us a "large family" but with 3 children, we max out the typical 4 person accomodations. We could ask for adjoining rooms but with 3 little kids, it would not be okay with us if they didn't accommodate the request. And by the time you've paid for 2 rooms complete with all the hassles and safety concerns that come with that, you're not paying that much less than a 2 bedroom villa. So to me, it's just better to bite the bullet and pay for the villa.

Last year we were flexible with dates and were able to get a significant room discount (at Kidani) as well as free dining. This year, no discount and no free dining. It is what it is. I'd rather get a discount than not, obviously, but we're stil going so we pay what they charge.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #113
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

[QUOTE=Kristibo42;47111001]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissathePooh View Post

Kind a rude aren't you. I just stated what I did. It really not any different that using the restaurants is it? You don't pay for that resort either.
Agreed
You did nothing wrong....live your life...if anyone has a problem with it...its their issue...not yours.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #114
HappyMomma
Mouseketeer

I've always believed you get what you pay for. If deluxe wasn't better, then no one would book and they'd be forced to drop the price. So it's not too expensive. It's just something else/different from the lower price tag alternatives. You're buying more room, better local, theme, etc. I've stayed value. They make my head hurt and cause me distress. They are an assault to my senses. I crave the peaceful serene settings of some of the higher priced options. I'm SO excited to be visiting the Poly for the first time this year. I feel it's prob going to be my Disney "home". It's worth it to me to go to Disney less often in order to stay where I'd like. FWIW, I really liked POFQ too. It was a lot more peaceful than the values IMO. And I'd stay there again if I couldn't afford the Poly.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #115
tiggspring
DIS Veteran: When I stop talking you'll know I'm dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMomma
I've always believed you get what you pay for. If deluxe wasn't better, then no one would book and they'd be forced to drop the price. So it's not too expensive. It's just something else/different from the lower price tag alternatives. You're buying more room, better local, theme, etc. I've stayed value. They make my head hurt and cause me distress. They are an assault to my senses. I crave the peaceful serene settings of some of the higher priced options. I'm SO excited to be visiting the Poly for the first time this year. I feel it's prob going to be my Disney "home". It's worth it to me to go to Disney less often in order to stay where I'd like. FWIW, I really liked POFQ too. It was a lot more peaceful than the values IMO. And I'd stay there again if I couldn't afford the Poly.
If you like POR you will LOVE Poly. we always stay at Tahiti to be close to the TTC another plus you usually have a private beach even for wishes as no one goes down that far. If you don't mind the sound of ferry horns (reminds us of ocean) its a perfect spot especially with little kids or mobility issues where traveling to/from park is a chore. ENJOY!

Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #116
HappyMomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggspring View Post
If you like POR you will LOVE Poly. we always stay at Tahiti to be close to the TTC another plus you usually have a private beach even for wishes as no one goes down that far. If you don't mind the sound of ferry horns (reminds us of ocean) its a perfect spot especially with little kids or mobility issues where traveling to/from park is a chore. ENJOY!
Good to know! I considered requesting Tahiti when I made the ressies, but wasn't sure how loud the ferry horns are? Does it go on all night long? I've got Tokelau (sp?) as a request right now.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #117
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=maxiesmom;47112491]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristibo42 View Post

You didn't pay for your food???

It is different. And pool hopping is against the rules. And is is against the rules of the Dis to post ways to break Disney's rules. Ok?

Movin on...
Old 01-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #118
rizzo0904
Mouseketeer

I agree that the deluxe resorts are overpriced. They aren't Ritz Carltons. But you have people that love them, you have people that are passionate about all things Disney, you have people that spend every vacation they have at Disney, therefore there is a market for them.

We are staying at AoA Cars and I'm having a hard time swallowing $193/night! I'm staying at a Homewood Suites at the Baltimore Inner Harbor with free breakfast for only $145/night and I'll be in a higher cost of living area getting more (breakfast, evening reception) for my money.

My hubby and I are fortunate that we can vacation and don't have to budget for it. But we are kinda cheap when it comes to hotels. Not Rodeway Inn cheap, but I hate to break the $150/night mark. $450/night is NOT gonna happen. I'll put that $300 into my IRA or my kids' 529 plans.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #119
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=Princess on the Run;47107194][QUOTE=Aliceacc;47104541]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom to minnie&mickey View Post

Not to but I thought pool hopping was okay at most WDW properties and the ones that don't allow it (like SAB) are specific with wristbands and stuff? I've only ever stayed at deluxe resorts and since we have awesome pools, I've never had the need (or want) to pool hop. But I thought they allowed this at most resorts. Is that not true?

ETA: Nevermind, saw this was already addressed...
It is okay. Not once have I been told no. I never take up "chair" space. Disney is for everyone no matter what you pay!!! I have seen many people do it. It also not any different than going to the beach at Polynesian to watch the fire works or water parade. People on here just want to get things started. I think that why certain people come in here.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #120
tiggspring
DIS Veteran: When I stop talking you'll know I'm dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMomma

Good to know! I considered requesting Tahiti when I made the ressies, but wasn't sure how loud the ferry horns are? Does it go on all night long? I've got Tokelau (sp?) as a request right now.
The horns run til 2hr after park closes. When we were there it was around midnight. With door closed its not bad unless you are a light sleeper. If you do not have MKV/LV it would not be an issue. If you are on the water request the side closest to the pool. The end closest to the TTC is louder and has more light from the launch area. You might want to say furthest from the TTC. We stayed on both ends with no issue but the side furthest from TTC was pure magic You could see fireworks from balcony, watch boats/monorail come/go. Ducks live on the shore by Tahiti. Only one night on either of our 7day trips did we share the beach at night. There is a hammock on that beach too. The stroll back to the GC is very pleasant and takes only a couple min which for us added to the feeling of being in the Islands. If you go to the Tiki man website he has maps, pictures and detail to the extreme. If you cant find it PM me and I'll go digging for it.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: