Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #31
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi
to each their own, really.

last year, we stayed at the poly with a 30% discount. so far, this year, we are getting 20% for our stay in April but we may consider annual passes if it saves on the room, since we plan on returning in 2014 with our twins before they are 3 years old.

I can't imagine paying the airfare that some people pay to get to Disney. I pay $650 total, round trip to get to Orlando for 4 of us. it's all relative.....
So true about being relative! Our aifare for four in October was $1,854 plus bag fees. Its always at least $1500.

We also like long trips ten nights minimum. And we go yearly, usually more than once.

So for us, deluxes are out of the question right now, discount or not.

Many factors go into to all of our resort choices!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #32
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhguy
I have to agree with OP, and in trying to plan our June visit, I kept saying the same thing over and over. I would love to experience a dlx stay, but for us, I can’t justify the added costs over a value/moderate. We can afford it if we wanted, but there are so many other things I can see where that money would be better spent for us – even on another vacation/getaway later in the year.

I understand it’s all about preference and choice – I’m only expressing our feelings.

I’ve watched the prices of all things WDW increase, and I was telling my other half the day is around the corner when a WDW vacation isn’t going to make sense anymore financially – a lot of other choices out there. We’ve discussed a deluxe and both understand Disney will charge what people are willing to pay.

The one Disney regret I have – when Disney did the buy 4 get 3 free a number of years ago – that was the year to stay deluxe. I looked backed at my notes and a savannah view at AK at that time looks awfully affordable now! I wished I had known what I was passing up back then – but o well....
I agree. That year of 4/3 we decided to be smart (also went with family that didn't want to pay a high price) and stayed value. A month before we left dh and I realized we were passing up a GOLDEN opportunity, so we attempted to switch to WL. It was available for us, but inlaws couldn't with their dates, so we stayed put at the value.

Still makes me sad. And it was a miserable trip.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #33
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Everybody is different with what they want out of a resort. I've stayed at Deluxe and at Value (suites only, though, so my perspective is probably a bit different). What I like about the value suite at AoA is the separate sleeping space for my husband and I. Having all five of us in one room at a deluxe isn't the ideal situation. The deluxe amenities are lost on my kids, so for family vacations I'm happy with the suites. If my husband and I went alone, we'd definitely go deluxe and stay club level.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #34
Laketravis
FP+ is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way - which one's Pink?

I learned a long time ago that all hotel rooms look the same when I'm asleep, which is about all we use a room for while at WDW.

I think this year we will try an off-site stay.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #35
lynypixie
Mouseketeer

I also think it's outrageous. We're staying onsite (value) this time because the kids are young and we don't want to rent a car, but next time we go, we'll rent at Windsor Hill. For the price of one night in a deluxe, you get a week there! In a full house with a private pool!

DH (31), me(30), DS6, DD4 and DD2

2004 bachelorette party (offsite), 2005 with DH (offsite), 2006 quick visit to DLP. 2013 AOA LK suite with all the kids!
Old 01-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #36
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I agree that the deluxe prices (rack rate) are ridiculous. I would never pay $500 a night full price to stay anywhere.

If you had a good room discount or free dining, maybe.

I paid $230 a night to stay in a value suite and thought that was really high for the quality of the room.

You CAN stay at a deluxe for a fraction of the cost by renting DVC points.

I think that is what we are going to do on our next trip.

We can rent 64 DVC points @ $13 per point and stay a week at OKW for $832 in a room that books for $350 a night to cash paying customers.

I know not everyone can rent DVC points because they may need to cancel or something may come up and they would lose their money, but it is always an option for anybody wanting to try deluxe on the cheap.

On our 2014 trip we may rent DVC points and stay at the Beach Club.

But if anybody is willing to go stay at a deluxe and pay full price with no discounts more power to them. Disney loves ppl like that.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #37
married2mm
DIS Veteran

I agree prices are crazy.

our flights for this year are over $5k,no way could we then pay asking prices for deluxe accommodation.

the first time we stayed onsite was at okw in 2 bed Vila,didn't realise at the time the price was discounted!
if we had booked same accommodation this year,would be over $8k,sadly not quite within our means!

I think it's lovely if people can afford to stay deluxe,and obviously folk do pay the prices Disney ask.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #38
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis View Post
I learned a long time ago that all hotel rooms look the same when I'm asleep, which is about all we use a room for while at WDW.

I think this year we will try an off-site stay.
I agree rates are too high. I also agree that I'd only stay deluxe witha discount.

That said, we find that when we stay at the values - which we do - we tend to use our room as this poster does- mostly just a place to sleep. When we stay at the better hotels, we find we take advatange of that the resort has to offer. Like if I'm staying at the Poly, I'm going to eat there.

A couple of additional points is that I am very willing to modify the length of our visits, especially if I find a great deal on travel costs to get to WDW.

A second important point to make is that we're very flexible on the idea of split stays. So maybe we spend most of the trp in a value resort, but just a night of two deluxe. It especially does not make sense to pay for a deluxe resort if you have a very late arrival or ealy departure, say. If you pack accordingly, it's no big deal to move toa different resort. It does take some time, but not that much- if you can manage a day bag. It also helps if you have a car. IT REALLY makes sense to consider a split stay if you want to visit any place in Orlando other than WDW - like Universal, Sea World, the beach, Cape Canaveral, St. Augustine, shopping, etc.

all that said...I do think Disney does give you something for the money. Truly, I like the variety of staying in different places on property.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #39
huntconn
"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile."

Yep, they sure are....can't wait to get back to the Poly this summer! LOL
Old 01-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #40
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
I was thinking of staying at a deluxe and priced out the contemporary-Garden room. I always thought they were "cheap". I just checked for our dates in November and they are $487/night. I could not believe it. It's not Thanksgiving week either. The other deluxe resorts prices are outrageous as well. I can't believe disney can find people to pay these prices.
Its all relative. Trust me....they are always pretty darn full. To a lot of people...they are "normal' prices.
I do agree though...ALL rooms are the same whe one is sleeping....We almost always use the values so we can spend more in parks,,I.E.
But, I'm middle class. If i were making more money, id join the club of deluxe resort folk.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #41
tlenzendorf
Always Dreaming of Disney!

We love the deluxe resorts. But we also love our budget. Which is why we only stay with rented points.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #42
Karabee
DIS Veteran

OP- I agree Deluxe rack rates are insane! I do love the Deluxe resorts though so I've managed never to pay rack rates. There are so many discounts out there if you are flexible and even the Deluxe properties themselves have different levels of pricing (ex. WL and AKL are cheapest). The best is to go when there is a discount, keep hoping for a pin, or my favorite - rent points. For me staying Deluxe is the only way to go, but I would never, ever pay $500 a night. I average around $200/$230.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #43
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

That's why I don't stay deluxe anymore. I really want to stay at AKL Savannah view but just can't justify the price for me solo. Even with discounts.

So I stay moderate mostly and occasionally value and just am happy about the fact that I am there.
Especially once my oldest hits college - then I won't be able to go as often.

I had to come back in and add that we just booked a suite at ASMU since we need a minimum of 3 places to sleep with all 4 of us going. I don't usually go for fold outs but it'll have to do this trip because once I saw the Deluxe prices even with the discount I said forget it.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips

Last edited by GaSleepingBeautyFan; 01-05-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #44
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

We would never stay any other place then a value. My work sent me to Disney for 4 days. I stayed in the Contemporary. What a waste of money. For as long as you are in the rooms it not worth it. We have gone 8 times in the last 8 times in the last 10 years. We sleep in the rooms and come back in the afternoon. We use the pools it's fine. I would much rather spend the money on other things then a place to put my head. If we want to swim or eat at another resort we just go there.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Old 01-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #45
MickeyNicki
It is pretty darn sad when a valet picks you out as a big Boma eater

I totally agree! The last 10 years or so we have always stayed deluxe for under $200 a night, some trips were up to $250...discounts were always 40% but now, forget it!! Deluxe rooms start at $400 and the discounts have been so skimpy and they are getting resort specific instead of category specific

We will stay at the Dolphin instead, those rooms are still holding at under $200 a night and you cannot beat the location!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: