Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Yes, deluxe rack rates are expensive, but we spend alot of time at the resort and we love the amenities of the deluxes so we don't stay anywhere else. We are lucky that we can go any time of year as my DH isn't tied to certain vacation times and doesn't have to choose vacation dates as each year rolls around, so we can work around discounts if we have to and plan months ahead of time or go last minute. But with that said, it's not a question of whether or not we'll stay deluxe as we would go for less nights if we had to in order to stay where we want.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 01-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #17
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

We stay Deluxe. We're a family of 5, and the other options simply aren't as appealing.

But we save at least a year for each trip.

We go during Value Season.

And we always manage to snag some sort of a discount.

Last year, I had reservations at the Dolphin (Deluxe Alcove, sleeps 6) using their teacher's discount. I got a PIN from Disney and switched to the Beach Club.

We simply can't afford rack rate at a Deluxe, particularly during the non-value seasons.

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #18
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I refuse to pay rack rate for any WDW resort. Unless there is some kind of discount, I don't go!!! I have stayed at the Polynesian but that was with a great discount. Stayed at the CR, in the North Wing way back when, but again, got a good discounted rate.
There are plenty of people that don't know any better and book rack rate rooms. I have actually had one person tell me that they always book at the full price because they are afraid something will happen if they try a discounted rate...like find no room for them when they get there, or get an alley view room. Also that they 'think' they are going to get better service if they pay full rates!!! Nothing I say can get them to change their minds.
So, yeah, these rooms are expensive if paying rack for them. And Disney knows full well that there are people out there that will pay it!!!
Agreed. I will not stay at a deluxe for full price. Period. I can stay at The Taj or a Fairmont for much less and the properties aren't even comparable.
I do enjoy my deluxe stays but I enjoy them a heck of a lot more knowing I am not paying anywhere near rack rate. Most of the times the discount just brings it down to what I feel they should be pricing it for in the first place.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #19
TigrLvsPooh
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Anthony's Girl
Got my way

I agree the rates are insane, they just keep going up and up and up and I wonder if we will eventually have to cut back on trips. Luckily our AP's help, but sometimes even they don't do any good. I really REALLY want to stay at the Poly for my 40th birthday (March 24th) but the standard room is coming up close to $800 a night. Easter is March 31st this year so we probably won't be going. There is no way I would ever pay that much per night, even if I was a billionaire. Its just too much.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #20
nessz79
DIS Veteran

We're considering staying Disney Deluxe (not counting Swan/Dolphin) for the first time this year for 2 short weekend trips. We couldn't afford it if there weren't the 30% spring discount, along with them being short trips. We have stayed at the Swan/Dolphin under teacher rate a couple of times.

For long trips, we have relegated ourselves to less expensive resorts or renting a townhome offsite.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:43 AM   #21
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

The GOOD part about Disney prices is how cheap other resorts seem in comparison. We're in the process of booking a hotel for a family wedding, and when I told everyone the one I was looking at (a Waldorf Astoria), they all said "but that one's so EXPENSIVE!" And I said "No it's not, it's about the price of a moderate, nowhere near deluxe!"
Old 01-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #22
Bete
DIS Veteran

Never, never will I pay the prices today for deluxe at Disney. I did have the chance to stay deluxe many years ago when the rates seemed more reasonable relatively speaking. It's nice to do it, but no way, now.

I think of it as having two trips to Disney going value resort compared to one trip going deluxe. We use our room to sleep mostly. We want to be in the parks, not at the resort.

This last year we stayed off site because we had our dog with us. I will probably never kennel my dog overnight. I felt we got to the parks quicker with our car versus staying at a value or a moderate in most instances. We were a little beyond the Downtown Disney area. Our resort offered us a kitchen, living room and bedroom for less than a value at Disney. We received a great breakfast and we even had three dinners at the resort included. I would consider the dinners on par with quick service, but it was all you can eat. I really liked it and Disney is slowly losing me as a resort customer.

There are rumors that the free dining promo for the fall of 2013 is going to be downgraded for the moderates and deluxe and non-existant for the values. This will turn me away in a hurry from Disney resorts. When I do Disney resorts it's been with free dining at the values and we pay for the upgrade to get the regular plan. We've done it this way for about 6 years, now.

We all have choices as to how to spend our monies. Once you get to the park you are no different looking because you are staying at a deluxe versus a value resort. I've come to the conclusion we rather have two trips to Disney then one which we can do by staying at a cheaper resort. Each to their own, I guess.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #23
smiths02
DIS Veteran

We have stayed Deluxe (AKL) but with big discounts. Feeling like I was on an African safari was worth it to me...what Waldorf can give you that?
We also drive so we save money there. DH doesn't like flying anyhow.
The resort is very important to us...we like to hang out and relax.
Because of our schedules, we can't vacation every year, so we save up and like to do it big.
2010-Jolly Roger
Disneyworld
2003-AKL-celebrate DH return from Iraq
2009-AKL-Birthday Extravaganza-DS 1st trip
2011-CBR- room
2015-Hoping for BCV dream trip to celebrate our twins first trip
Old 01-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #24
RAD
DIS Veteran

One of the reasons we bought into DVC back in 1999 was back then we though deluxe resort prices were too high, glad we did.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #25
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete View Post
Once you get to the park you are no different looking because you are staying at a deluxe versus a value resort.
If I stayed in a Value with my family of 5, I would look like this but by staying at deluxe villas, I look like this

Seriously though, I would honestly rather not go on vacation if it meant cramming into a single room with 3 little kids. That's not a vacation for me, it's just more stress. Being in a 2 bedroom, we have a kitchen and laundry so I can handle our family's needs easily without having to leave the room. Multiple bathrooms so if someone has a potty emergency at the same time someone else is showering or using the bathroom, we're okay. I can put the kids down for a nap or to bed and DH and I can unwind and relax in the room with a glass of wine, TV, laptop, whatever, without worrying about waking the kids. Everyone wakes up cheerful and well-rested the next day. For us, planning a nice room is an important part of the budget for any vacation. I know it isn't on everyone's list of priorities, but I would choose to not go somewhere before staying in a smaller room without the amenities we're used to.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #26
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

They are very expensive at rack rate..I look for discounts.Even then they are not cheap.But we budget and scrimp and save all year so we can go..Actuallly our last trip was to Universal and those hotels are deluxe and cheap compared to what Disney charges so that is where we are staying again this August
Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #27
Nancy F
DIS Veteran

That's the main reason we bought into the DVC at BLT. We used to stay at The GF concierge level twice a year. Now for what it used to cost, we can go twice a year till the year 2048. Our vacation club will be paid off by 2015.
Nancy
Old 01-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #28
polyfor4
Mouseketeer

We get to stay at the Polynesian only because we get a GV room 40% off but even then it just about breaks the bank since we go every year. I'm always amazed how full the deluxe resorts are or even Disney World in general, I thought our economy was in a rough spot??

May 2014 BWI/ Poly CL
May 2013 AoA/ Poly CL Nov 2013 Pop
Sept 2012 AoA May 2012 Pop/ Poly Feb 2012 POR
May 2011 Pop/ Poly April 2011 CSR
Dec 2010 POR May 2010 POR
Dec 2009 CBR May 2009 Poly March 2009 POR

Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #29
cmhguy
Mouseketeer

I have to agree with OP, and in trying to plan our June visit, I kept saying the same thing over and over. I would love to experience a dlx stay, but for us, I can’t justify the added costs over a value/moderate. We can afford it if we wanted, but there are so many other things I can see where that money would be better spent for us – even on another vacation/getaway later in the year.

I understand it’s all about preference and choice – I’m only expressing our feelings.

I’ve watched the prices of all things WDW increase, and I was telling my other half the day is around the corner when a WDW vacation isn’t going to make sense anymore financially – a lot of other choices out there. We’ve discussed a deluxe and both understand Disney will charge what people are willing to pay.

The one Disney regret I have – when Disney did the buy 4 get 3 free a number of years ago – that was the year to stay deluxe. I looked backed at my notes and a savannah view at AK at that time looks awfully affordable now! I wished I had known what I was passing up back then – but o well....
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #30
kandb
DIS Veteran

Op here. I did not mean to imply that people shouldn't pay the rates to stay deluxe. It's America and everyone has a right to spend their money the way they want. I just cannot justify spending $500/night on a hotel. I know location and staying on property is very preferable but we usually stay 7 nights and with tickets and food and souvenirs, the trip would cost of around $7500 (not including airfare). We have been going yearly for 7 years now and the prices sure have gone up. I know it's supply and demand and if people will pay these prices, disney will just continue to raise the price. I just think the nightly rack rate at the deluxes have gotten out of hand.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: