Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > California & the West
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
mom2tinkandmickey
Mouseketeer

Newport Beach ideas?

DH & I 46, DS 15, and DD 11, are supposed to be in Newport Beach on Saturday, for a wedding, and "A Day at the Beach", 2nd reception, on Sunday. Well, as of yesterday, the wedding has been called off. We now have part of Saturday (leaving LV around 10 AM), and all day Sunday, with no plans.... What is there to do in Newport Beach, and the surrounding area, for 2 days? We will be leaving Newport, Monday morning, and checking into the DLH for 3 nights. We have AP's, but would rather not go to DL Sat or Sun. We want to "build up" to our DL days.

Hanging out at the beach is obvious, but 70 degrees, is almost freezing to us desert rats! Is Balboa Island worth a trip? We were thinking about taking the ferry, and renting a surrey there. We all love to sightsee. Any other suggestions? Thanks!
mom2tinkandmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

I love Balboa, the ferry is fun to go over there. If you are there that long you could always see about a trip over to Catalina Island. It is a neat island to visit. You can get a golf cart and explore the island. They have a zipline on it. Allot of shops. There is a house over that is made out of 2 shipwrecks.

It has been a while since I have been there so I am not sure how much is around there now. Laguna Beach is beautiful , with allot of little shops as well. You can do a drive along the coastal part and explore.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
KatrinfromGermany
Earning My Ears

You could go on a whalewatching excursion (www.newportwhales.com) - I am planning such a trip for September
KatrinfromGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Sorry - duplicate post!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!

Last edited by pixarmom; 06-04-2013 at 08:35 PM.
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #5
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

We LOVE Newport Beach and I've been vacationing there for 40 years! Here's a thread I created with lots of ideas and photos: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2895078

And to answer your question, YES, Balboa Island is absolutely worth a visit!!!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!
pixarmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
ArielSparrow
From Fins to Fila

If you are going up to Catalina you might as well go do some things inland. It's only that cool along the coast. However, I would suggest bringing a jacket and exploring because there is lots to do in Balboa, Newport, and Irvine, depending on your tastes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: