Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #16
Halloweenqueen
Whenever Candle Lights Flicker...

Gave up diet coke last January. It was a tough battle, but when my youngest remarked that she never saw me without one I knew I had to do something. I realized how much I was actually drinking and cut one portion a day until I would skip a day or two. I replaced it with vitamin waters and an occasional iced tea.

I would never have believed back then how I can't even tolerate a sip. It just doesn't taste good anymore.

My advice is to not go cold turkey. Your body is used to the caffeine and sweetener. Ween yourself off is my best advice!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #17
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Agreeing with the OP about diet sodas not being good. I don't actually think they will go all out and cause tumors and there has been no evidence of that, but there's been plenty of information out there now, especially with diabetics, that show thata the artificial sweeteners can contribute to weight gain and unstable insulin. They just do it in a different way than sugar/honey/agave does.

Then there's those people who have issues with the various sweeteners. These artificial sweeteners are chemicals. For some people they don't cause an issue, for others they do. I was a big nutrasweet (Equal) user for many years without a problem. Eventually, I started having bladder issues with it. For a time, I kept thinking I had an infection all the time. My doctor and I tracked it down to Equal and I've never had a problem since I stopped it.

That's not to say that sugar is healthy and doesn't cause problems. You can also find people who have issues with sugar and some that don't.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #18
disneyfam
Mouseketeer

Have you tried any of the Sparkling Ice drinks? http://www.sparklingice.com/flavors.aspx

They are SO good and because they are "fizzy" I often find them a good substitute for soda.

Dec 29 Jan 1, 2010
Our trips as a family:
July 10-20, 2010 - Our first trip "home" as new DVC members!
disneyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #19
married2mm
DIS Veteran

I had to give up my dear diet coke for health reasons,switched to decaffeinated version,it was hard but doable.
however,at following hospital appointment,was informed I had to cut out all fizzy drinks.
this has been hard,but lots of water is definitely the key.
I don't drink tea or coffee or milk.
my one thought has been though,what to put in my Disney refillable cup in August?!
married2mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #20
mtemm
Doubly blessed
Ever just have one of those days?
I occasionally make a split breast for dh

I hear you! Can't wait for it to pass
mtemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
WDWFAN9
DIS Veteran

Good luck! I stopped drinking my beloved Diet Coke last February, mostly because of all the info about how bad it is for your health. It hasn't been easy and there are still moments when I would love one. I've turned to drinking tea or an iced tea/crystal lite lemonade mix.

I'm HALF-Crazy: Going half the distance in half the states and having TWICE the fun!! Oops - got carried away, going for all 50!
44 States and D.C.Done - FL, OH, IL, CA, MI, NC, IN, WI, AK, PA, TX, NV, TN, DE, WA, IA, NH, SC, LA, OK, NY, MN, WV, VA, KY, OR, RI, MO, AR, D.C., NE, NJ, HI, MS, ID, UT, ND, SD, WY, NE, ME, KS, CO, NM, MD, CT, MA, VT, AL
2014 GA DONE

one step at a time

WDWFAN9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:50 AM   #22
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

You can do it Jess!! I gave up soda cold turkey a little over a year ago (Oct 24) and while I did suffer from the migraines for about 2 weeks I feel so much better now. I have clearer thoughts, I get more accomplished and I have a longer focus and attention span.
I also lost 5 pounds the first month.

I will on occasion have an iced tea, hot tea or an espresso shot with about 16 ounces of milk but for the most part I drink water.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #23
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

I admire your dedication.

I eat extremely clean - all organic, very little processed or packaged foods, many home grown vegetables, herbs and spices. Rarely do I have gluten or sugar or dairy (unless it's a really exceptional cheese.) No coffee, no cigarettes, no beer.

But my Cherry Coke Zero? That I will never, ever give up. I just love it.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #24
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320 View Post
I gave up diet soda cold turkey 4 days ago. I forgot my after workout snack and am starving! I had to drive by 100 drive throughs on the way home, three of them having coke freestyle machines, my ultimate weakness. I made it home and am glaring at the microwave urging it to heat up my healthy premade dinner faster while chugging water. Thank goodness there is no soda in the house, I'm about ready to turn my car keys over to my teen to keep safe until my rational self returns.
Good for you! Congrats for sticking to it!

I also have committed to healthier living for 2013. Giving up soda is hard!!! Especially caffeinated soda as you actually have to go through caffeine withdrawal.

What helped me transition was flavored, sparkling water. I use the Cascade brand (Costco). I get the bubbles that sort of mimicks soda and some flavor. It took a few days before the caffeine (I also switched to decaf coffee) cravings subsided.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #25
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

I used to drink a lot of Diet Coke at work, but gave it up a few years ago.

I switched to club soda/sparkling water. It was really the "fizziness" I was craving, rather than Diet Coke or any other soda.

Occasionally I still have a Diet Coke if we're eating out, especially with a pizza, but even going out most of the time I'll ask for club soda if the restaurant also has a bar.

At home I make sure I am always well stocked with it, as I hate, hate, hate running out. I buy Schweppe's, no sodium (I try to avoid that if possible), no calories, just water and "fizz." I drink it "straight" usually, but sometimes put a slice of lemon or lime in it.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #26
Hrhpd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castmemberb4 View Post
Okay I get your point. I had to stop eating sugar many years ago and remember what the withdrawals were like.
I asked because 1) I have a co-worker who stopped drinking it because she wanted to lose weight ! What? Really? it has ZERO calories. ALSO I though you might be trying to get away from sodium which a lot of the "healthy" microwaveable meals are high in. And,
2) I've thought for years that the artificial sweeteners were bad for you, My Dh drinks many Diet Cokes a day. When I tried to get my MiL who is a food additives chemist to discourage him, she said there is no conclusive evidence that they have any negative health effects. ie. all of the tumor, and cancer reports that have been around for years.
I totally understand the clean living concept, my Chiroproctor and good friend has been preaching it to me for years !!! Just make sure those microwavable foods are 'clean'. Good Luck !
I quit because my BioChem Engineering son, who does this kind of research, has regaled me with all the stuff Aspartame does to your body. While studies have so far proven no ill effects, there are more and more issues being questioned by scientists. The FDA says it is one of the most tested additives and that it is perfectly safe, the ChemE and BioChemE's I know are not so convinced. Our family is not the cleanest eater and DS doesn't get on us for some of the crap we eat.

But Aspartame, he is adamant that nobody in his family ingests it, he feels that strongly about the studies he has done and seen.

Last edited by Hrhpd; 01-05-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Hrhpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #27
PebblesMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320 View Post
I gave up diet soda cold turkey 4 days ago. I forgot my after workout snack and am starving! I had to drive by 100 drive throughs on the way home, three of them having coke freestyle machines, my ultimate weakness. I made it home and am glaring at the microwave urging it to heat up my healthy premade dinner faster while chugging water. Thank goodness there is no soda in the house, I'm about ready to turn my car keys over to my teen to keep safe until my rational self returns.
Well if you realllllly need somebody to stab, I have the perfect person. And the plus, it will either remove your rage from not having a diet soda, or you'll be so disgusted that you'll give up diet soda forever! Win/win, right?

(And though I shouldn't have to say this- I'm kidding, I don't condone violence)
PebblesMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #28
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PebblesMK

Well if you realllllly need somebody to stab, I have the perfect person. And the plus, it will either remove your rage from not having a diet soda, or you'll be so disgusted that you'll give up diet soda forever! Win/win, right?

(And though I shouldn't have to say this- I'm kidding, I don't condone violence)
Hehe
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #29
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the support everyone the fact that this is so hard makes me think it's that much more important to stop. Even seeing a commercial with soda makes my mouth water, how freaking crazy is that?!?!? I know this is the worst of it and I just have to push through until it's easier. I do like club soda but I really think anything fizzy will be enough to make me fall off the wagon, so lots of water for a couple of weeks and then I may add in some club soda or what not. To everyone doing this right now too, be strong!! We can do it
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #30
Aristocath
DIS Veteran

Good luck to you! You can do this. I used to drink the hard stuff- regular Coke- sometimes four a day. People make fun of it as an addiction but it really is. I had my last one on September 25, 2007. I realize I can never go back so I don't have any sodas at all...it would be too easy to replace Coke with something else. So now it's coffee, water, or the occasional tea. Stay strong!
Aristocath is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: