Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
JessB320
DIS Veteran

I would stab somebody for a diet soda right now!

I gave up diet soda cold turkey 4 days ago. I forgot my after workout snack and am starving! I had to drive by 100 drive throughs on the way home, three of them having coke freestyle machines, my ultimate weakness. I made it home and am glaring at the microwave urging it to heat up my healthy premade dinner faster while chugging water. Thank goodness there is no soda in the house, I'm about ready to turn my car keys over to my teen to keep safe until my rational self returns.

Last edited by JessB320; 01-04-2013 at 10:40 PM.
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #2
superme80
DIS Veteran

Right there with you. I didn't give up diet soda, but I have cut back. I am trying to drink mainly water and decaf tea. I just wanted a big ol' diet cherry pepsi. I love that stuff. Stay strong!!!!!
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 1 year old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Drink some Iced tea.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

I can't stop caffeine cold turkey, I have to slowly cut back or the headaches are awful!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

I hear you loud and clear.

I cut back to one diet soda a day. By about 4 pm, I NEED another one!
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
StephMK
DIS Veteran

You are strong!! I have tried to give it up before and I've always caved. Hopefully you made it through dinner without any casualties!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I drink very little Coke Zero but I haven't given it up completely and don't plan too. I make myself some hot tea when I start to crave it...most of the time.

Good luck with what you're doing!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

If you're going to stab someone, at least make it worthwhile and get a NON-diet soda
Old 01-04-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
Kathryn Merteuil
Barden Bella

I kind of fell off the wagon with those, Ive had 2 diet mtn dews today, and one regular coca cola.
Kathryn Merteuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Ok had dinner, haven't caused anyone bodily harm and my rational side has returned. It's a bit scary how strong those cravings can be!!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
castmemberb4
DIS Veteran

Why? Why did you give up Diet Soda? I have a reason for asking
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 PM   #12
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Op, I am right there with you! I gave it up just before Christmas but caved a few times. The 28th or 29th was the last time I had a soda. I think I was addicted to the artificial sweetener in it. 24-36 hours without one and I had terrible headaches. I know it was not the caffeine because even when we had sodas with no caffeine I was fine. It will get better in a few days. However it was very tempting not to get my soda when I was picking up Diet Mt. Dew for my husband today!!!
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #13
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castmemberb4
Why? Why did you give up Diet Soda? I have a reason for asking
Overall I eat pretty "clean" diet soda was kind of my hold out vice. I knew it wasn't great for me but after watching a couple documentaries I wanted to stop drinking all the nasty chemicals in it. One show suggested if you drank it everyday stop for just two days and see how you feel. So I did and after the first day had HUGE crazy cravings for it. At that point I realized I needed to stop drinking this crap! It took a couple weeks to get the willpower to really do it and I had my last one 4days ago.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:18 AM   #14
castmemberb4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320 View Post
Overall I eat pretty "clean" diet soda was kind of my hold out vice. I knew it wasn't great for me but after watching a couple documentaries I wanted to stop drinking all the nasty chemicals in it. One show suggested if you drank it everyday stop for just two days and see how you feel. So I did and after the first day had HUGE crazy cravings for it. At that point I realized I needed to stop drinking this crap! It took a couple weeks to get the willpower to really do it and I had my last one 4days ago.
Okay I get your point. I had to stop eating sugar many years ago and remember what the withdrawals were like.
I asked because 1) I have a co-worker who stopped drinking it because she wanted to lose weight ! What? Really? it has ZERO calories. ALSO I though you might be trying to get away from sodium which a lot of the "healthy" microwaveable meals are high in. And,
2) I've thought for years that the artificial sweeteners were bad for you, My Dh drinks many Diet Cokes a day. When I tried to get my MiL who is a food additives chemist to discourage him, she said there is no conclusive evidence that they have any negative health effects. ie. all of the tumor, and cancer reports that have been around for years.
I totally understand the clean living concept, my Chiroproctor and good friend has been preaching it to me for years !!! Just make sure those microwavable foods are 'clean'. Good Luck !
Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #15
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castmemberb4

Okay I get your point. I had to stop eating sugar many years ago and remember what the withdrawals were like.
I asked because 1) I have a co-worker who stopped drinking it because she wanted to lose weight ! What? Really? it has ZERO calories. ALSO I though you might be trying to get away from sodium which a lot of the "healthy" microwaveable meals are high in. And,
2) I've thought for years that the artificial sweeteners were bad for you, My Dh drinks many Diet Cokes a day. When I tried to get my MiL who is a food additives chemist to discourage him, she said there is no conclusive evidence that they have any negative health effects. ie. all of the tumor, and cancer reports that have been around for years.
I totally understand the clean living concept, my Chiroproctor and good friend has been preaching it to me for years !!! Just make sure those microwavable foods are 'clean'. Good Luck !
There is a lot of new scientific information about artificial sweetness (and really all chemically added or processed foods) that have me fully convinced they are not things I want in my body. Several studies are showing that while they are no calories these artificial sweeteners set off synapses in the brain and trigger sugar cravings, leading you to over eat and to seek out sweets. So they can lead to weight gain, Just in a way we dont think of. The only things I microwave are meals I've prepped myself from scratch. Over the year we did a real overhaul on our " healthy eating" and cut out all the pre made processed " healthy" food. In one of my organic chemistry courses last year we made artificial banana flavoring for a lab exercise. The end product is exactly what you would buy from the store in the baking aisle. It was about five different chemicals we heated, stirred, reheated and decanted, pretty basic . Not one of those chemicals would I want to ingest, and yet mix them up and heat and presto!! Sell it to add to food. Blew my mind . Sorry I will get off the soapbox now!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: