Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Best Monorail Resort...

For a family of five? We are literally in the car on the road home from Disney & planning our next trip! We are hoping to have another little one by our next trip, possibly Jan 2014, which would make us a family of 5. We'd have a baby, 3 1/2 year old, a 14 year old and two adults. We haven't stayed at a monorail resort but like the idea Of easy access to the parks if we want to go back for naptime. Thoughts & recommendations? Thanks!

DL Native=Too many trips to count!DLP: 1998Tokyo Disney 2000
Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 1/2015 - CR
lovingeire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
PrincessesX3
Mouseketeer

We love the CR. plus you can stay in the wing and save some money.

PrincessesX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

What is the difference between the wing and other rooms? We've eaten at the Contemporary at both Chef Mickey's & California Grill, but that's the extent of our familiarity with the resort.

Disney Magic - 3/2014
DW: 4/1995 - Off Site; 12/2009 - CBR (DH & DS1's 1st trip!); 12/2012 - AoA Cars Suite (DS2's 1st trip!); 5/2013 - Pop AEP; 8/2013 - WL; 1/2015 - CR
Old 12-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingeire View Post
What is the difference between the wing and other rooms? We've eaten at the Contemporary at both Chef Mickey's & California Grill, but that's the extent of our familiarity with the resort.
The main difference is location as the rooms are the same in both the wing and tower. Also, the wing has only 3 floors, with no balconies on the 2nd and 3rd floors. The tower rooms are more expensive since they are in the main building with easy access to the monorail, dining, and shopping. We haven't stayed at the CR, but between the Poly and GF, the Poly is our favorite. We love the tropical atmosphere, the pool, the beach, and Captain Cooks for quick CS meals. With that said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them as they are all convenient to MK and the rooms are pretty comparable in size (although our Poly room did feel a little larger than our room at the GF). Good luck and happy planning .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

For a family who spends lots of time at MK, CR is a great resort because you can walk to the park.

For a family who spends a lot of time at Epcot, Poly is a great resort because you can walk to TTC to hope the monorail rather than taking one monorail to TTC, going down the ramp and up the next one to get to the Epcot monorail. You do still also have the monorail for getting to MK.

Other than that, I personally think it's more about your personal preference for the resort ammenities and decor not to mention price (garden wing rooms at CR are definitely the cheapest).

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
For a family who spends lots of time at MK, CR is a great resort because you can walk to the park.

For a family who spends a lot of time at Epcot, Poly is a great resort because you can walk to TTC to hope the monorail rather than taking one monorail to TTC, going down the ramp and up the next one to get to the Epcot monorail. You do still also have the monorail for getting to MK.

Other than that, I personally think it's more about your personal preference for the resort ammenities and decor not to mention price (garden wing rooms at CR are definitely the cheapest).
This! We like the location of the CR/BLT because we love the option of walking to MK. It's quick and easy. All three of the monorail resorts are fantastic. It is just what theme, budget, and transportation option suits your family the best. You can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
lovingeire
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone! I think this next trip location will be most important to us. We're thinking Contemporary might be best with its proximity to MK. I think every one of the resorts is on my Disney bucket list do I'd be happy with any of them, it's the convenience that we want most though!

Disney Magic - 3/2014
Old 12-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
ruthfamilyvacationer
Mouseketeer

We have stayed at CR and GF. I love CR because everything is an elevator away (unless you stay in the garden wing). At GF your more then likely in one of the outer buildings (unless you pay top dollar for the main building). I did like the "theming" at GF more then the CR but I think the ease of CR wins out. We are going back in 2014 and I think we are going to stay at the Poly or CR. Poly is like GF with the outer buildings so I'm really torn about it. My kids love the theming at Poly though so it might win out. That really wasn't the most helpful info.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
DemoBri1
Surfin' at the Beach Club Villas

Honestly I think the GF is probably not the most ideal of the monorail resorts simply because it is the last stop before MK and normally that means a crowded monorail at that. CR is probably the most ideal spot because it is the first stop on the resort monorail loop, and it also has a walkway to MK. I do like the Poly quite a bit. Don't let the building proximity get to you. They're not as spread out as they seem.

DemoBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

The GF is my vote! We absolutely LOVED how quiet and serene it was. And I totally agree w/ DemoBri1, while it seems as though the buildings are spread out, they are really not once you're walking around. Everything is VERY easy to get to no matter which building you're in. You also don't feel like you're going down super long hallways to try to find your room. It's alot more personal feeling.

The great thing is, if the monorail is busy, hop on the boat! We stayed at the GF our first trip because of the mid-day naps too... our DD was 4 1/2. It was ideal for us. There's also alot less hustle and bustle than you fund at the CR (except maybe around 1900 PF!) All in all, it was just wonderful ! (which is why we're going back "home" in June!!)

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
graceandhayes
Mouseketeer

My family loves the Poly for the theme, pools, landscaping, Capt Cooks, and location. Yes, you have to walk outside to get from the longhouses to the GCH, but the landscaping is so beautiful and the atmosphere is so amazing, we don't mind the walk. My family (DW, DS7 and DD6) all like to sleep in. I am an early bird so I enjoy walking the grounds and beach at the Poly first thing in the morning. I make a stop by Capt Cooks for coffee. A perfect way to start a WDW day. There is lots to love at all the monorail resorts, but the Poly fits our family's personality. I love the location of the CR, and Chef Mickey is my kids favorite meal, but it just feels like a nice hotel, not a resort to me. We have never stayed at the GF, but it felt too quiet and too stuffy for us when we looked around before dinner at 1900 PF. We feel like we have two vacations when we stay at the Poly, one at the parks, and one at the resort. As you can tell, huge fans of the Poly, and I can't imagine a WDW vacation staying anywhere else.
graceandhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceandhayes View Post
My family loves the Poly for the theme, pools, landscaping, Capt Cooks, and location. Yes, you have to walk outside to get from the longhouses to the GCH, but the landscaping is so beautiful and the atmosphere is so amazing, we don't mind the walk. My family (DW, DS7 and DD6) all like to sleep in. I am an early bird so I enjoy walking the grounds and beach at the Poly first thing in the morning. I make a stop by Capt Cooks for coffee. A perfect way to start a WDW day. There is lots to love at all the monorail resorts, but the Poly fits our family's personality. I love the location of the CR, and Chef Mickey is my kids favorite meal, but it just feels like a nice hotel, not a resort to me. We have never stayed at the GF, but it felt too quiet and too stuffy for us when we looked around before dinner at 1900 PF. We feel like we have two vacations when we stay at the Poly, one at the parks, and one at the resort. As you can tell, huge fans of the Poly, and I can't imagine a WDW vacation staying anywhere else.

This!!! Although we have stayed at GF and CR, Poly is our favorite for this family of 5!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
bek
Mouseketeer

I just returned from a quick Grand Floridian stay. The monorail was unavailable several times, which put us on buses and boats. The bus we caught to the MK when the monorail was down picked up at the Contemporary and Polynesian before it got to us.

Because there's a walking path between the Contemporary and the Magic Kingdom, I think that's the best location for a family with a little one. If the monorail isn't running, it is an easy walk with a stroller. The Contemporary is also just one stop to the TTC, which gives it easy access to the Epcot monorail.
bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

would wait until Disney fixes all the problems with the monorail before staying at a MK monorail resort - they are just too expensive - and if the monorail is not working then why stay there.

now CR and BLT you can still walk to the MK. WL and VWL you can boat over to the Mk.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Our family of 5 stayed in the Poly on our last trip ~ at the time the girls were 6, 3, and 13 months. We loved the Poly! The room was nice and big (we stayed in Tokelau, and if my research was correct it, along with 2 other longhouses, have bigger rooms than the other longhouses). We had plenty of space for a pack and play and our double stroller, and for the girls to still have a decent amount of room to play.
April 2012 Polynesion
auprincess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: