Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #31
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcherjen View Post
That's what I thougt. I do have a child that will be ordering off the menu, but figured they wouldn't like adults doing so.
Check my above response. At QS locations, you CAN order off the kids' menu. That is an advisable move to save money. Sorry, I was just posting in a rush - something I really shouldn't do. Sorry!
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #32
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

We stay offsite so eat offsite for at least 1-2 meals a day (going out for breakfast on the way to somewhere or dinner on the way back to the condo doesn't take up park time at all).

We budget $50 per person, per day for 3 meals and a snack or two.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #33
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Check my above response. At QS locations, you CAN order off the kids' menu. That is an advisable move to save money. Sorry, I was just posting in a rush - something I really shouldn't do. Sorry!
Thanks!! That will be very helpful.

medhdd7ds16 dd19

http://www.pinterest.com/tcherjen/
tcherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #34
mousireid
It still haunts me to this day....what I did for a Klondike bar!

If you have the ability ot pick up items at a local gorcery store or have them delievered to your room - even bring items if you wish, it saves money. We always have a case of water (prices of water in the parks OOF!) with satchets of flavor to add if we wish, our own snacks for standing in line, walking about and needing one - portable - nuts, granolas, dried fruit, animal crackers, pnt btr crackers etc. and then we always bought cereal or oatmeal (heck even a coffee maker heats up water for packet mixes!) - even muffins, for breakfast as we all got ready and headed out for the day. We also preferred late seating breakfast buffet around 11am and filled up pretty well for the day being able to grab a cs meal in the evening a few times. We Sometimes we have gone for rope drop and headed back for lunch and a swim/nap/ac rest before going back out again around dinner time.
mousireid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #35
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Go to allearsnet.com and peruse the menus. I think you can eat QS for a lot less than $15 pp/pmeal. My family of four (2 boys, 13 and 9) can eat well on about $125/day average and that would include a couple TS over the course of a week, and we don't always do breakfast in the room. Now, we are water drinkers (that's free), so that helps a lot.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #36
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

WDW food is expensive. There are ways to save. We almost always do the DDP now but we did vacation there before that was an option and when money was tighter for our family. Here are a few of my favorite ways to save money

-Don't spend a lot of money on your travel days. If you are driving, pack food from home, plenty of snacks and drinks to last the trip. If you are flying, try to eat before you leave home and take snacks for the airport and for the flight.

-Mix bought food with brought food. On one of our early trips, we took chips, drinks and cookies from home and would go to the food court and just get sandwiches. We sometimes ate in the room and sometime in the food court.

-There is a mircowave in food courts. Feel free to use it. Pop corn from home is a cheap treat.

-Eat a good breakfast in the room. Easier if you drive or can do a grocery delivery. Pop tarts make kids poop out about ten and they are starving before lunch. Think cheap protein.... peanut butter on bagels, ham and cheese on bagels, pre-boiled eggs. If you drive.....take a regular cooler. If you fly, pack a soft sided one and keep filled with ice from the resort.

-Share food. There is no way our family of four needs four meals. Try two and add food as you need to.

-Drink H20! Take flavor packs to add in as you need or want.

-Carry in snacks if you need too. We no longer carry anything into the park but we certainly have before and it works fine. Pack in hard sided containers to avoid crushing.

We really like Rain Forrest Cafe and have never had bad food or bad service there. Our waitress at the AK one this year was soooooo sweet. Meals are really huge here so try ordering two or three and you can add desert if necessary.

Remember that if you were at home you would have to eat that week too so add that money into your budget. Look for other ways to cut your food budget at home in the weeks leading up to the trip. Try eating just out of your pantry stash for a week or two. Meals might be a little funny but I bet most people could do it. Brown bag it for lunch, avoid any eating out at home , or eat meatless for a week or two before you go.

Try not to worry soo much about saving money that you forget to enjoy what you eat!!
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #37
PlutosUnDr8d
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Oops. Forgot to mention that. I'm caught up right now, sorry.
That must be some good Dateline!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #38
PlutosUnDr8d
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSANDRA View Post
Pop tarts make kids poop out about ten

I totally interpreted this phrase wrong initially--thanks for the laugh!
All good tips!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #39
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Did you mean to ask if you can Order a kids meal at TRex or the counter service? CS you absolutely can - I do it all the time.

$45 should be fine - but I think the CS meal plan is cheaper or maybe the same.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #40
LovinD
Earning My Ears

I suppose it depends on how important food is for your Disney trip. I'm not the type of person that gets excited about eating for the most part; I would rather save on meals and use what I save to buy a cool souvenier or too. But, that is just me.

What we do:

--We bring sides with us so that we just have to order a sandwich/burger. All 3 of us order water. Hubby just drinks water; I bring Nestea powder and stir some in; I bring Kool-Aid packets for daughter to use.

--We NEVER eat out for breakfast. We would rather just in the hotel.
LovinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #41
Sphinx610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcherjen
Thinking about staying for a week, maybe less. I figured it was going to cost about $15 ppp, per meal. So around 1400 for the week.
We stay on site and use disney transport- so we dont have a car or the option of eating off site. unless we want to take a cab which would negate any savings... so having said that...

I agree with the pp's that said $15 pp won't cover ts, maybe qs...
What we did was buy snacks and breakfast type stuff from gardengrocer.com. They deliver to the room and were the most reasonable i found through my research. The kids understandably wanted Mickey waffles or pancakes every morning so we let them buy and ate either their left overs or their fruit along with our stuff from garden grocer. I wouldn't want to pay for the water/drinks in the parks for an extended period of time (more than day or two) so we bought the resort mugs and that covered any drinks we wanted in the am, going back to the resort, evening, etc. then for the parks we got some sport bottle type waters from garden grocer and also brought self-filtering water bottles for the kids. (Hated the bobble brand, love the brita brand. About the same$$ and brita tastes better. In hindsight I should have brought them for us adults too. Next time...) sandwiches in the resort were huge so hubs and I were able to split one meal and a side of fries here and there. Combined with the snacks, it wasn't too bad. It's a big savings to eliminate the cost of beverages and/or between meal snacks. Of course you are going to want the random unique snack or glass of wine here and there, but if you can curb the bulk of it, you are set.

Also- If you are able to be flexible with dates, try to go for the times the offer the free meal plan!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #42
Soccer and Swim Mom
Stay at Home Mommy of 2

My daughter and I flew so we were limited on luggage. I shipped a box of poptarts, cereal bars, dried fruit, prepackaged juice boxes, snacks prior to our trip. My daughter and I always ate breakfast in our room or on the bus so we always made it to the park for rope drop and got started playing right away.

I also shipped extra snacks and goodies for us to have in our room. That saved us.

We had the full dining plan. My daughter and I would often share the adult entree for lunch. Then we would get the child's meal chicken fingers for a snack later in the afternoon to tide us over. Many of our dining reservations weren't until 7-8 pm.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #43
LoveToTravel2001
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

Re-useable water bottle - if you buy a drink or even get the free water at CS , it's huge. We would get DD juice and fill her water bottle. We put the water in each of our bottles and flavored it. We preferred water bottles over the resort mugs to prevent leaks.
Share - portions are huge. It often meant that even if I wanted a burger, I ate chicken fingers if that's what DD was getting. (She could never finish a whole meal, nor would I) we had the dining plan and we would use my CS for breakfast and supplemented by in room stuff or snack item (huge cinnamon roll. We'd share her CS for lunch and share and then have a TS. We are big breakfast eaters and DH or I would hit the food court and bring back the food to the room and we would eat while got ready. We are not big lunch eaters so lunch CS was more of a snack that three of us would share.
We always use a car service from the airport so they would stop at a market for us to grab juice, water and snacks. We've had friends use delivery service. In this day and age of baggage fees and weighing bags, it's often more costly to pack it if flying.
As a pp said, food courts have microwaves and we used them - popcorn, oatmeal, quick bowls (rice)...
Have a wonderful trip.
WDW - CBR 5/14 The Summit
LoveToTravel2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #44
TomTi89
Earning My Ears

I definitely agree with eating breakfast in the rooms most mornings.

It can save money, and can prevent you from going out hungry and possibly irritable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSANDRA View Post
Try not to worry soo much about saving money that you forget to enjoy what you eat!!
However this is true too. Sometimes we just have to have that ice cream, or skip breakfast as such and brunch somewhere
TomTi89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #45
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

We order food for the room. Pretty much all the food courts have microwaves in them, so you can even have microwave breakfast sandwiches or bacon if you like.

In the parks, when we eat quick service, we often share. And we order knowing that if we buy too little, we can always go back and get more. Under-estimate how much food your order at first.

Keep in mind that if you bring in food, there are a few restrictions: No glass, no alcohol, and at the Animal Kingdom no straws. So watch the mayo and ketchup and juice boxes. Plus you will either need a cooler you can carry, or one that will fit into a locker. You can't pull a cooler behind you through the parks.

Eating off site is cheaper, but leaving the parks for an off site meal is a huge waste of time, imho. And time is money at WDW. Don't waste part of a ticket that costs well over a hundred dollars to save five bucks.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: