Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Excited for a potential opportunity, and nervous too!

So I might have an opportunity to finally put my Disney knowledge to good use. I have an interview with a travel agency on Monday to potentially become a part-time Earmarked Disney Vacation Planner.

Before anyone says it, I know it isn't all fun and games. It involves customer service which sometimes means difficult customers. And I know it is commission only, so I don't get paid until the clients actually go on vacation. And I know it means long hours. However I think this is the best way for me to bring in extra money for my family since I can do it from home on nights and weekends.

So the only part that really makes me nervous is generating leads. I think I have a pretty broad network I can start with (family, friends, coworkers, church members, etc) but I'm hoping the agency can give me tips for ways to drum up leads.

I don't want to violate any rules here so I'm not asking for leads, or even ideas for how to get leads. I really just wanted to tell someone how excited I am, and to have someone tell me I'm not crazy for at least trying.

Thanks for listening. You guys are the best!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
bellebud
DIS Veteran

I wish you good luck in your interview!!

Even if it's long hours, some annoying customers, etc, what job doesn't have things to deal with? At least you'll be doing Disney things when you're working. I think that sounds wonderful!

Let us know how it goes.
bellebud is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Thank you, I will! Going to cram for DCL and Adventures by Disney since those are my weak "subjects"!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Good luck!! Hope it works out the way you want.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
bellebud
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
Thank you, I will! Going to cram for DCL and Adventures by Disney since those are my weak "subjects"!
wow... that sounds like total fun to me!!!! I'm excited for you!
bellebud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

For generating leads it's ALL about networking. In that vein, may I suggest Le Tip? My father is a salesman, and an INCREDIBLY successful one thanks in no small part to his membership in Le Tip. Since he joined he's also gotten many of my relatives to join up and their businesses have SOARED!

Check it out. FWIW, I don't belong to Le Tip. It wouldn't really help for my particular business and there isn't a chapter near me. www.letip.com

Essentially, the way it works once you join is that each chapter only allows X number of members from any given industry. So you might be only 1 of two or three travel agents (or possibly the only travel agent) in your chapter of Le Tip. Then ANY time ANY of your fellow members have a need for travel services or KNOW of someone looking for your services they will refer them to you. Also you would refer people to the other members in your chapter (lawyers, doctors, auto mechanics, hair dressers, construction companies) and on and on.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
mickeymedic
Loves Off Kilter
What's in the spoon?
Just watch out for the ducks if you're eating outside

Good luck on your interview. I was in your shoes 14 months ago. I now have an amazing part-time career as a travel professional. My game plan has always been to transition out of my old career and make Travel my full-time business. When I first got started, I figured that transition was 5-10 years down the road. But with the way business has been, I could probably make the jump in 2-3 years.

As you know, you will work long hours without a lot of cash to show for it at first. But keep at it. The longer you go, the more steady the income will be. Regarding leads, I thought I had a pretty good social network from my current full-time line of work. So I was really disappointed when I didn't find much interest from that network at first. However, over the past few months, local interest has picked up significantly. If just takes a while to get established.

Disney Magic 2014 (Birthday trip with hubby)
Coronado Springs 2013 (Food and Wine with the hubby)
Art of Animation 2013 (Marathon Weekend with my parents)
Disney Magic 2012 (with my Mom)
Disneyland Hotel 2012 (with my Mousekepeeps)
Disney Dream 2011 - B2B (10-year anniversary)
Port Orleans Riverside 2009 (with my parents and my sister's family)
Port Orleans Riverside 2009 (with the inlaws)

Port Orleans Riverside 2008 (just the two of us)
Port Orleans Riverside 2007 (with friends)
Disney Magic 2006 (5-year anniversary)
Port Orleans Riverside 2006 (Valentine's Day in The World)
Pop Centrury 2005 (took both sets of parents)
Grand Floridian 2003 (2-year Anniversary)
Caribbean Beach 2001 (Honeymoon) and Off site 1999, 1994, twice in the '80's
mickeymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Good luck on the interview!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Today is the big day. I call the interviewer after I get done at my FT job. Wish me luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
Shmily1
DIS Veteran

Good luck! It has to be one of the most rewarding jobs I know of. Where else can you get a thank you text from a client that is at WDW taking thier little princess for the first time?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

So bummed. I called for my interview last night and the person was in another call. I left my name and call back number. A few hours later I called again and got voicemail so I left another message. I followed that up with an email back saying I tried to reach the interviewer and asking if there was a better time I could call tonight. No response. I'm dying to call during my lunch but I think that would be too pushy. I guess they aren't interested. :-(
Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quick update - I got no response from my message or email. I'm going to assume they aren't interested. I just wish I could have gone through the interview. I'd live to be a vacation planner but no one else is hiring someone without official experience. Now I'm trying to think of other ways to express my Disney passion from home. I'm thinking about writing a blog. I know I won't make money from it, but it would give me an outlet to talk about Disney and how hard we are working toward getting out of debt so we can go to Disney every year.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Quick update - I got no response from my message or email. I'm going to assume they aren't interested. I just wish I could have gone through the interview. I'd live to be a vacation planner but no one else is hiring someone without official experience. Now I'm trying to think of other ways to express my Disney passion from home. I'm thinking about writing a blog. I know I won't make money from it, but it would give me an outlet to talk about Disney and how hard we are working toward getting out of debt so we can go to Disney every year.
I saw your post and I was so hoping this was a positive update.

Give it a few more days. If they were interested enough initially to want to interview you, perhaps they're just busy and they'll get back with you when they can.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Visit the DCL board on here for some great info on everything DCL. Members often know more than some TA's or DCL staff.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Another update - they called today! Of course I was at my FT job. We set up an appointment for the interview for next week. The owner seems very nice and it seems like I will have the chance to ask her as many questions as she asks me.

Thank you to all for the good thoughts!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: