Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
absolut_mandy
DIS Veteran

Hotel Dilemma

Hi Folks,

We are planning our first DL trip at the end of the month and I am trying to figure out what to do about hotels. I am a WDW veteran and I am spoiled by the ease of booking an on site hotel (and getting the deals!) I would love to stay on site at DL but it is pretty expensive for us.

I had an idea about the hotel but I don't know if it is possible. Can you tell me if this is doable, crazy or good?

We arrive Wednesday pm, stay at one of the good neighbour hotels and just relax at DTD for the day.

Thursday morning (early), check into Disneyland hotel, drop off our luggage and take advantage of EMH

Friday morning - EMH again (I think that this is possible), check out and drop the luggage off at another good neighbour hotel and spend the day at the park (staying off site for Friday night.)

This would save me 2 nights at the on site hotel but I still get to experience the Disneyland hotel and get the benefits of EMH for both Thursday and Friday mornings.

We are planning on getting a 3 day park hopper pass so will switching back and forth to hotels affect the tickets? I am sorry for asking basic questions. I have been searching the boards for answers but for some reason DL is puzzling me!

Thanks for all you help
Mandy
absolut_mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Mcky36
Mouseketeer

I don't know what your dates are but when we were there our EMH was at 7:00 a.m. To do what you are trying to do we would have had to be at the hotel by 6:00 a.m at the latest to check in, and walk to the park to get in line by 6:45 to really take advantage of EMH.

I'm not sure if the hotel will let you check in at 6:00 a.m. since check in is technically not until 3:00 p.m. I know they typically do let people drop off bags and check in early, but 9 hours early seems like a stretch.

I hope it works for you though!
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
damiel
DIS Veteran

So I assume you will have a car? Getting to and from hotels with luggage could be a problem if you don't have a car. Also, are you morning people? You are looking at some very early mornings: EMH can be 8:00 and you will want time to get to the gates before they open, I would say 7:30. That would mean leaving your hotel around 6:30. That really doesn't sound like a vacation to me.
Many Good Neighbor Hotels offer EMH with a package. Look at Costco, I know we have EMH through Costco.
Some of the on property hotels are as long of a walk to the park as some of the Good Neighbor Hotels on Harbor.
I too am a WDW vet and I understand why you think you need to stay onn property but you really don't have to at DL. IMO I would save the money for character meals and other extras.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
scoker
Mouseketeer

Sounds like a lot of hassle for very little gain. If you want to do a split stay I would not do it in the middle of the trip. We've stayed onsite and off and really for us it just doesn't make that much of a difference. I don't think I would stay onsite again unless I was going during the summer when we would make use of a resort pool. If you are getting 3 day park hoppers you will get one magic morning at DL.
scoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
danlkrim
Mouseketeer

15% discount on Orbitz.com including DLR hotels

Orbitz.com is having a 15% off sale that includes DLR hotels. It ends tomorrow, Jan 5. I had to prepay, but I can cancel up to 5 days before arrival. Still more expensive than the surrounding hotels, but it is something. Early entry everyday could be helpful.
Walt Disney World Feb 2012
Disneyland and California Adventure Feb 2013
WDW Nov 2013, Jan, Feb, April 2014,
danlkrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
chabs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolut_mandy View Post
Hi Folks,

We are planning our first DL trip at the end of the month and I am trying to figure out what to do about hotels. I am a WDW veteran and I am spoiled by the ease of booking an on site hotel (and getting the deals!) I would love to stay on site at DL but it is pretty expensive for us.

I had an idea about the hotel but I don't know if it is possible. Can you tell me if this is doable, crazy or good?

We arrive Wednesday pm, stay at one of the good neighbour hotels and just relax at DTD for the day.

Thursday morning (early), check into Disneyland hotel, drop off our luggage and take advantage of EMH

Friday morning - EMH again (I think that this is possible), check out and drop the luggage off at another good neighbour hotel and spend the day at the park (staying off site for Friday night.)

This would save me 2 nights at the on site hotel but I still get to experience the Disneyland hotel and get the benefits of EMH for both Thursday and Friday mornings.

We are planning on getting a 3 day park hopper pass so will switching back and forth to hotels affect the tickets? I am sorry for asking basic questions. I have been searching the boards for answers but for some reason DL is puzzling me!

Thanks for all you help
Mandy
I think this is a good idea. I am pretty much in the same boat as you are. I'm trying to figure out what we are going to do in August. We need 2 rooms, so the cost of staying at a DL resort is going to add up quickly. I think we might try to do a split stay because I know if I book a good neighbor hotel, we are going to regret not staying at a DL resort once we get there.

I'm sure that you can check in early and have them hold your lugguage and the hotel stay will not affect your tickets.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: