Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
EeyoreFan5
Mouseketeer

suggestions for new DSLR

I have a Canon Xti and was looking at a t3i. Mainly because I have a few canon lenses. But is Nikon quality of photos better and worth the change?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
wbeem
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't switch if you already have lenses. Chasing picture quality these days just isn't worth it. The truth is that all of these cameras can take some outstanding photos.

However, most people never truly see what they can get because they don't do any post-processing with programs like Aperture, Lightroom or Photoshop. That's where you really draw out the colors and make things pop.

I don't know anything about which Canon does what, but I'm confident that you don't need to switch to Nikon just to get better photos. Lots of Canon photographers can produce outstanding images.
wbeem is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
havoc315
DIS Veteran

When you look at the number of professionals shooting with Canon, you should feel confident in the brand.
I do feel a sense that Canon sensors are falling a tiny bit behind, but if you already have the Canon lenses, it's not worth starting over.
And yes, good post processing can really up image quality.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

You don't need to switch. Which lenses do you have already?
2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
KCmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #5
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeyoreFan5 View Post
I have a Canon Xti and was looking at a t3i. Mainly because I have a few canon lenses. But is Nikon quality of photos better and worth the change?
Nikon isn't any better than Canon and Canon isn't any better than Nikon. Or Pentax, Sony, Olympus... It's a personal preference thing. While each model has some kind of advantage over others, they all tend to even out in the larger scheme of things when it comes to DSLR's. And the overall quality of your images from a DSLR is largely dependent on the user.

All that said.. the T3i will be a huge jump up from your XTi in terms of ISO range and performance.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #6
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

The t3i would be a nice upgrade. I just upgraded to the t4i from the xti a few months ago and am very happy with it. Like I said the t3i is a very nice camera, but you may want to look at the t4i. I've noticed that it has dropped up to $200 from what I got it for, and I got a good deal on mine.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbeem View Post
I wouldn't switch if you already have lenses. Chasing picture quality these days just isn't worth it. The truth is that all of these cameras can take some outstanding photos.

However, most people never truly see what they can get because they don't do any post-processing with programs like Aperture, Lightroom or Photoshop. That's where you really draw out the colors and make things pop.

I don't know anything about which Canon does what, but I'm confident that you don't need to switch to Nikon just to get better photos. Lots of Canon photographers can produce outstanding images.
I agree, it is a rare image that can not be improved with some processing. While Nikon may have an edge in sensors, Canon is not far behind and changing brands will likely have a small impact on the quality of your images. One thing that often helps a lot is some sort of camera support. Even at shutter speeds we consider "safe" it doesn't take much camera movement to slightly (but noticeably) degrade an image.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I went from Xsi (one generation better than your Xti) to the T2i (same sensor as the T3i) and have never regretted it. You will love the better ISO performance.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: