Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Metsoskil
Citi Field, Rehoboth Beach, and WDW are my 3 favorite places.

Monorail Resort Scavenger Hunt

*****Updated - 50 item Scavenger Hunt is on page 2 in post #20*****

While at WDW in August, my MIL and FIL will be visiting w/ us for 2 days. Due to a medical condition, MIL cannot be outside. Going to the parks is not an option, but she still wanted to do some "Disney" stuff w/ us and our kids.

I'm trying to put together a Disney Monorail Resort Scavenger Hunt for us to do one day. We'll break up into teams - boys (FIL, me, and 5 yo. DS) v. girls (DW, MIL, and 8 yo. DD). I was hoping that you all could give me some ideas for items to find. Here's what I've got so far:
  • Get Leis at the Polynesian Resort.
  • Take a picture with a cast member and your entire team in front of the Polynesian Waterfall.
  • Trade for a pin with a Polynesian or “Tiki” theme.
  • Get a DVC sticker with a picture of Stitch on it.
  • Take a picture with your entire team with one of the wooded tiki statues in the Polynesian lobby.
  • Get a penny pressed in each of the three resorts.
  • Trade for a Donald Duck pin.
  • Take a picture of the 5 legged goat in the mosaic in the Contemporary Resort.
  • Take a picture with a member of your team in a Goofy hat.

I'm looking for things that don't cost money, don't require going outside or walking a lot, and are not food-related. I've seen lots of great ideas on-line for hunt items in the parks, but not many in the resorts. TIA!

WDW: Jul '91, May '93, Dec '99, Aug '07, Aug '08, Aug '09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Aug '10, Mar '11, Aug '11, Dec '11, Aug '13, Nov/Dec '13
Disneyland Paris: Aug '12
DCL: Jul '12 Magic NYC Weekend Getaway, Dec '13 Dream 3-night Bahamas
Upcoming Trips: WDW Jul '14, DCL Alaska - Wonder Aug '15

Last edited by Metsoskil; 07-25-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Metsoskil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
*TheWigs*
Mouseketeer

We LOVE to stay at Contemporary...you could have them sit in the Mickey ears in the courtyard by the pool at CR. We have great pix of the girls sitting in each ear!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
CR Resort Fan 4 Life
DIS Veteran

Get take out menus from their Quick Service locations. At the Contemporary it would be at the Contempo Cafe, Polynesian would be Captain Cook's and Grand Floridian would be Gasparilla's Grill & Games.
CR Resort Fan 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #4
kappyfamily
DIS Veteran

Love this idea! Awesome to do on an "off day". My ten year old just said sweet we are doing this!
Rock N Roll Portland- Done!: Seattle 1/2 - Done!: Rock N Roll Arizona - Done!: Heartbreaker 1/2 Portland - Done!: Lincoln City 1/2 - Done! Eugene 1/2 - Done! Vancouver USA 1/2- Done! Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Oregon - Done! Oregon Wine Country 1/2 - Done! The Oregon 1/2 - Done! Portland 1/2 Marathon - Done! Rock N Roll Vegas - Done! Portland Holiday Half - Done!

Going for finishing 45 half marathons by 45!

--Dig Deep

Me , DH , DS19 , DD12
kappyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:35 AM   #5
Metsoskil

Thanks!

Here's what I've got so far. I've decided to go the points route, and each team will have a certain amount of time to get as many points as possible and meet back at our starting location.

Please keep the suggestions coming!
  • Get Leis at the Polynesian Resort. (5 points)
  • Take a picture with a cast member and your entire team in front of the Polynesian Waterfall. (10 points)
  • Trade for a pin with a Polynesian or “Tiki” theme. (5 points)
  • Get a DVC sticker with a picture of Stitch on it. (5 points)
  • Take a picture with your entire team with one of the wooded tiki statues in the Polynesian lobby. (5 points)
  • Get a penny pressed in each of the three resorts. (3 points each, 1 bonus point for getting all 3)
  • Get a resort map for each resort. (10 points each)
  • Trade for a Donald Duck, Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Pluto pin. (2 points each)
  • Take a picture of the 5 legged goat in the mosaic in the Contemporary Resort. (10 points)
  • Take a picture with the oldest member of your team in a Goofy hat. (5 points)
  • Sample the Salt or Sugar Scrub in Basin in the Grand Floridian. (5 points)
  • Take a picture of the youngest member of your team with the Mary Poppins topiary at the Grand Floridian. (10 points)
  • Obtain a take out menu from Captain Cook’s, the Contempo Cafe, and Gasparilla Grille & Games. (10 points each)
  • Find a family with a double stroller. (5 points)
  • Find a family with a triple stroller. (20 points)
  • Find a family wearing matching shirts. (10 points)
  • Take a picture of a cast member from a continent other than North America. (10 points each)
  • Find someone wearing a shirt or hat from Universal. (5 points)
  • Take a picture of a cast member who lives in your home area code. (10 points)
  • Allow the youngest member of your team to complete a coloring page from the lobby waiting area in each resort, if available. (5 points each)
  • Obtain an “I’m Celebrating” pin. (5 points)
  • Ride in the elevator in each resort. (2 points each).
  • Take a picture of your entire team wearing Mickey Ears. (5 points)
  • Find someone wearing a Birthday pin. (5 points)
  • Find a couple wearing bride and groom Mickey Ears. (10 points)
  • Have your picture taken by a Photopass photographer and added to a Photopass Card. (10 points)
  • Obtain a Mickey Mouse sticker. (5 points)
  • Obtain a Times Guide (5 points)
  • Take a picture of a member of your team with each of the following words in the background: MAGIC, DISNEY, DREAM, FANTASY, WONDER, and MICKEY. (5 points each)
  • Find a shirt that has the Dreamfinder on it. (10 points)

WDW: Jul '91, May '93, Dec '99, Aug '07, Aug '08, Aug '09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Aug '10, Mar '11, Aug '11, Dec '11, Aug '13, Nov/Dec '13
Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
lorbar
Earning My Ears

Smile

What a clever idea! How about searching for hidden Mickeys? Perhaps a business card from the front desk of each resort?

How can I get a copy of your list when it's finished? It'll be a great down day activity for my family as well!
lorbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
lorbar
Earning My Ears

Still thinking.....

.....how about a map of each resort?
lorbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #8
Metsoskil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorbar View Post
What a clever idea! How about searching for hidden Mickeys? Perhaps a business card from the front desk of each resort?

How can I get a copy of your list when it's finished? It'll be a great down day activity for my family as well!
I'll be happy to post the finished list here when I'm done.

I'm not including Hidden Mickeys, since DW, the kids, and I will be hunting them during our trip(s) anyway. I wanted to keep that separate, but I could see how adding them would be fun otherwise.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
jennabcassell
Mouseketeer

Go get the hidden mickeys book! There are a ton of great ones at the GF/Comtemp/Poly that we have found!!
I believe at the Poly, at the childrens neverland palyroom, you used to have to go in through the window to John Michael and Wendys room....If its still there they need to do that!! Especially MIL!!

Also have them try to ride certain color monorails and take photos to prove it!! Is the Tronorail still running?? They can ride to Epcot and get a photo of the sphere from the platform. And the monorail also rides through the park, they could get a photo of Nemo and the sea gulls at the living seas! Also ask the monorail cm's for trading cards.

jennabcassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
Oglet
DIS Veteran

Collect a Monorail trading card from one of the Monorail CM's
Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
matt&jakesmom
DIS Veteran

WOW! What a great and fun idea. Keep us posted with your list. I think I may just have to borrow it.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
rachellm
Mouseketeer

What a fun idea! I think your list sounds good.

I'd just remind everyone in your groups to be polite and mindful when you're working on the items that involve taking pictures of other guests. I don't want to get into a debate about taking pictures in public and what's allowed v. not - but I wouldn't be happy if strangers ran up to take pictures of my kids in their stroller with no explanation.

eta: Just reread your list ... maybe you don't intend to take pictures of other guests. Is it just going to be an honor system of saying "We saw X" If that's the case, ignore my comments
Old 07-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
Metsoskil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachellm View Post
What a fun idea! I think your list sounds good.

I'd just remind everyone in your groups to be polite and mindful when you're working on the items that involve taking pictures of other guests. I don't want to get into a debate about taking pictures in public and what's allowed v. not - but I wouldn't be happy if strangers ran up to take pictures of my kids in their stroller with no explanation.

eta: Just reread your list ... maybe you don't intend to take pictures of other guests. Is it just going to be an honor system of saying "We saw X" If that's the case, ignore my comments
Yup. The "find" items were on the honor system. I'd feel a little awkward of taking pics of other guests.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
packofjedis
Mouseketeer

What about taking a picture of the same room number at each resort (I mean the plaque at the door that has the room # on it)? Just pick a room number, up a floor or two and have them search it out.
packofjedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
babydovesx2
Mouseketeer

Take a picture with the monorail attendant at each resort. Have a doyle whip at Poly. Take a picture in front of the birdcage at GF.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: