Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
Silly Little Pixie
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
You work yourself up more than it really is, and when it's over you think, huh

DH and I have done 3 DCL cruises without the kids! The first one a week on the Magic for his 40th birthday, and the second was a 4n/5n back to back on the Dream for our 20th anniversary. It was heaven! Our kids weren't jealous the first time, but were the second! We spent most of our time in the adult areas. We would sail DCL again kidfree in a heartbeat. I highly recommend it!
DCL Wonder 11/08, B2B 11/10, 3/11, Christmas 2011, 6/13
Magic 11/09, 3/10 Fantasy NYE 12/13
Dream B2B Triple Dip! 3/12

Silly Little Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
DH and I will be celebrating our 15th anniversary in September and are planning to take a 4-5 night trip to celebrate. We've talked about lots of different destinations, but all of them involve warm weather and lots of time in lounge chairs. Taking a Disney cruise hadnt even crossed my mind until I read the post about the special rates for late August through September. With the promotion, we could take a 4-night cruise on the Dream for substantially less than any of the land-based trips weve discussed. I know that there are plenty of adults-only places and activities on the ship and on CC, but Im just not sure how it would feel to be on a Disney cruise without DD (not to mention how she would take the news!). Id love some input from those of you who have done this or considered it and decided against it.
While not quite the same (our kids are older) we took 3 DCL cruises before we brought the kids along.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

We have celebrated our 20th, 25th and 30th anniversaries onboard DCL without the kids and some other non anniversary DCL cruises as well without them.

Love them!!! There is plenty to do onboard for just adults. Just tell your DD mom and dad need some Disney Magic as well!!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

)DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
4boons
2000 DCL Vacation Video

DCL without kids is great

Every few years the two of us (DW and myself) have tried to take what we call a "Rents Retreat". One year when the DDs were at church camp DW and I went to Vegas, the kids still think that was just wrong. However, we never could bring ourselves to go on a DCL cruise without the kids.

This last fall DD#2 started college so DW and I decided to go on one of the DCL Pacific Coast Cruises. We had a wonderful time.

Through the cruise meet we were able to find several couples also traveling without their children. We even arranged to have two other couples traveling without their children as table mates.

While we will continue to travel DCL with our children, we "now" will not hesitate to travel DCL without our children.

The best thing I can do for my kids is to maintain a strong relationship with DW. I love my children and enjoy being with them, but someday when they are off raising their own children and building their own life, it will just be DW and myself and we need to know how to get along without the distraction of the kids.

Go have fun, we did
Bill

1999 DCL Magic 3-night Bahamas <> 2000 DCL Marketing Video <> 2000 DCL Magic Thanksgiving 7-night Eastern <> 2001 US Independence 7-night Hawaiian Islands <> 2002 DCL Magic 7-night Western <> 2004 DCL Magic Spring Break 7-night Western <> 2005 DCL Magic 14-night Westbound Panama Canal <> 2007 DCL Wonder 3-night Bahamas <> 2008 DCL Wonder 3-night Bahamas <> 2008 DCL Magic 15-night Eastbound Panama Canal <> 2010 DCL Magic 12-night Baltic <> 2011 DCL Wonder 7-night Alaska <> 2011 DCL Dream 4-night Bahamas <> 2012 DCL Wonder 7-night Pacific Coast <> June 2013 DCL Wonder 7-night Alaska <> Booked Cruises <> Dec. 2014 DCL Magic 7-night Western Caribbean <> May 2015 DCL Magic 15-night Eastbound Transatlantic
4boons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #20
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for all of your replies! It doesn't sound as if any of you who have taken an adults-only DCL cruise regret your decision. It's true that we will not be taking DD with us regardless of where we go, but somehow the fact that it would be a DISNEY cruise makes a difference. DD has been on one DCL cruise already and we have another coming up in March, so she has not been Disney deprived. I know that she'll get over any initial disappointment or jealousy she may feel, so that's not really the concern. I'm just not sure how we'll feel being on a ship with a whole bunch of kids having a great time, knowing ours is at home!

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #21
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Of my six cruises on DCL, all but one have been adults only (bad, I know...well, not really!). We did our first cruise in 2000 with DH's daughter. Since then I have also cruised with my mom once, and with one of my closest girlfriends once. So, as you can see, my cruises have been all over the board as to who I have cruised with! Go for it! Every single time I have had a great time!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #22
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

We are taking a cruise without the kids in Feb for our anniversary. This will be our first cruise without the kids and we are looking forward to it! We took the kids on a cruise last year and we will be booking a 7 night for the whole family while we are on board. So they have not been left out. We always do some sort of trip each year for our anniversary.

kalc12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #23
kcashner
DIS Veteran

It sounds like you've already resolved the "can I take a vacation without kid(s)" and that the only real issue is can the vacation be a Disney cruise.

If you're going to look at every kid on the ship and feel that your kids should be there, this may not be a good choice. On the other hand, if you are asking whether two adults can have a great time on Disney without kids, the answer is YES.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #24
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

I have done 10 Disney cruises without kids and the 11th will be in 2 weeks (I'm taking my parents). Of course I don't have any kids, so there weren't any to miss. It's a different thing for parents who are planning to leave a kid at home, I'd guess, but if I didn't like the Disney cruises I wouldn't have done 10 of them. If you are going to spend so much time missing your child that you can't enjoy the cruise, then taking it may not be the best idea, but only you can answer that one.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #25
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
It sounds like you've already resolved the "can I take a vacation without kid(s)" and that the only real issue is can the vacation be a Disney cruise.

If you're going to look at every kid on the ship and feel that your kids should be there, this may not be a good choice. On the other hand, if you are asking whether two adults can have a great time on Disney without kids, the answer is YES.
That's it in a nutshell. We are definitely taking a trip without DD. We've only gone on one trip without her EVER, and it is high time for another. Knowing that others have left their kids at home and (mostly) not felt guilty about it helps. So does hearing from so many people who have enjoyed their adults only DCL cruise so much that they did it again (and again and again, for some!).

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014

Last edited by Lisa Lisa; 01-04-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #26
CamColt
Only thinks shes not losing it
Mom gone wild!
I really feel like I have a good grip on things now
B1 BINGO!

We have done 1, 3 night and 2, 4 night Disney cruises without our kids. They have been wonderful! Go for it!

CamColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #27
KTills
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa
Thanks so much for all of your replies! It doesn't sound as if any of you who have taken an adults-only DCL cruise regret your decision. It's true that we will not be taking DD with us regardless of where we go, but somehow the fact that it would be a DISNEY cruise makes a difference. DD has been on one DCL cruise already and we have another coming up in March, so she has not been Disney deprived. I know that she'll get over any initial disappointment or jealousy she may feel, so that's not really the concern. I'm just not sure how we'll feel being on a ship with a whole bunch of kids having a great time, knowing ours is at home!
We didn't tell our DS that we were going on a Disney cruise...we told him we were going to the Bahamas, just not how we were getting there.
KTills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #28
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

I don't have kids--I'm my parents' adult kid, and we went on DCL for the first time last year and had the best time. Yes, my mother looked around and missed the fact that her grandchildren should have come along, but it only resolved us to decide that a future cruise should have the whole family on board. Now it's just convincing my one brother to spend the upcharge for Disney versus his favorite, Carnival. They would have joined us for our return to the Dream at the end of this month, but his wife vetoed the idea with the argument that she didn't want to travel with a baby. Nevertheless, it's not holding my parents back. We had a superior time on the Dream, and you're going to see kids on most any other cruise ship, anyway.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #29
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

We've done several w/o our kids & loved every one of them! Go & enjoy and don't feel guilty.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #30
Matty Ice
Mouseketeer

We are preparing to debark on our first Disney Cruise January 28th with DD7 and DD5. My wife and I will be celebrating 15 years April 2014. We were just talking about this very subject the other day. We decided there is NO WAY we could go on a Disney Cruise without the girls. We could do RC or Carnival, but we would just not feel right leaving them home while we went on a Disney Cruise.

Congratulations!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: