Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Scottiesmommy08
Mouseketeer

Special treatment for first time flyers

I have often heard rumors of getting that ever so special cockpit tour or special wing pins, but does this still happen?? My DD (4) will be flying for the first time (13 days!!!!) and she loves everything about planes. Thought it would be really cool if she could meet the pilot or something of that nature, but don't want to look like a big dummy for asking if that sort of thing is banned now. Have you been lucky??

We are flying Delta btw.

First trip, May 01', WL**August 08' offsite, Mike Ditka's resort**January 12' Honeymoon trip, CBR,**January 13' DD first magical trip + anniversary, POP**Looking forward to January 14' for a WONDER-ful first trip + anniversary on DCL
Scottiesmommy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiesmommy08 View Post
I have often heard rumors of getting that ever so special cockpit tour or special wing pins, but does this still happen?? My DD (4) will be flying for the first time (13 days!!!!) and she loves everything about planes. Thought it would be really cool if she could meet the pilot or something of that nature, but don't want to look like a big dummy for asking if that sort of thing is banned now. Have you been lucky??

We are flying Delta btw.
My kids got wings from Delta on both the flight to MCO and the flight home. They were not asked if it was their first time flying. I think they just gave them to all of the kids getting off the plane. Also, a pilot (or co-pilot) is typically standing near the door when you enter the plane, so I'm sure she can say hi. Have a great trip!
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #3
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

Just ask a flight attendant if your kids can see up front (before departure or after arrival). I know at Alaska they still have little wings and cards that have an airplane on em. Most of us dont mind showing the front office to the kids.

Clint
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #4
JessB320
DIS Veteran

We just flew on delta in sept, they handed out wings to the kids both there and back
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:21 AM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

My son has gotten wings on Alaska, United, and I think Southwest. SW was when he was being a little bit whiny (we were right up front so they noticed), and it helped me out a GREAT deal (they came with a little coloring book, even). Alaska and United seemed pretty random.

And he got to see the cockpit on either Alaska or United. They asked him just as we got onto the plane, so no one had to fight traffic to get to the front of the plane. It was neat!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
The Fox Menagerie
Mouseketeer

About 5 years ago, on a trip from CA to OH, my DH and DD were asked by the pilot upon boarding if DD wanted to see the cockpit. She got to sit in the co-pilot seat, wear a hat and pretend to fly the plane. She was about 7 at the time. DH got a picture and they said it was awesome.

Apr 2014 Disneyland Hotel, Jun 2013 Polynesian Resort, Aug 2011 Disneyland Hotel, Dec 2010 Disneyland Hotel, Nov 2010 Paradise Pier Hotel, Aug 2010 Disneyland Hotel, Apr 2010 Disneyland Hotel , Jun 2009 Grand Floridian Resort, Jun 2009 Bahamas Cruise Disney Wonder, Apr 2008 Disneyland Hotel, Apr 2007 Paradise Pier Hotel, Apr 2004 Disneyland Hotel, Oct 1999 Off Property Orlando, July 1995 Off Property Disneyland, June 1990 Off Property Disneyland
The Fox Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fox Menagerie View Post
About 5 years ago, on a trip from CA to OH, my DH and DD were asked by the pilot upon boarding if DD wanted to see the cockpit. She got to sit in the co-pilot seat, wear a hat and pretend to fly the plane. She was about 7 at the time. DH got a picture and they said it was awesome.
I keep waiting for DS to say "I want to see the cockpit". I'll be more than happy to ask!
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Scottiesmommy08
Mouseketeer

Thanks guys! Hopefully we get a little of that magic on our trip.

First trip, May 01', WL**August 08' offsite, Mike Ditka's resort**January 12' Honeymoon trip, CBR,**January 13' DD first magical trip + anniversary, POP**Looking forward to January 14' for a WONDER-ful first trip + anniversary on DCL
Scottiesmommy08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: