Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
SteffyLou
Mouseketeer

Can't choose a room?

Hi Everyone,

My family is looking at the September 21 Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy. When I look at booking on both the Disney site and other websites, I can't choose a room. Every category tells me that you have to pick guarantee and won't allow me to choose a specific room. Every category of rooms is available.

Why is this? Is the boat TOO crowded or not crowded enough?

Thanks!
SteffyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteffyLou View Post
Hi Everyone,

My family is looking at the September 21 Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy. When I look at booking on both the Disney site and other websites, I can't choose a room. Every category tells me that you have to pick guarantee and won't allow me to choose a specific room. Every category of rooms is available.

Why is this? Is the boat TOO crowded or not crowded enough?

Thanks!
If every category is only allowing you to select GTY, then I'd say it's a pretty full cruise.

For a category to go GTY, only a certain percentage of rooms within that category need to be specifically booked. So all categories still have rooms available, but DCL is holding them back to make any adjustments (maybe upgrades and such) necessary.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
SteffyLou
Mouseketeer

Thank you for your response!

The only reason why that seemed odd to me is because the September cruises are the cheapest Fantasy cruises over the next 9 months. But it makes no sense that none of the rooms are available to pick.
SteffyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

I'm very interested in people's answers as I am booked on this cruise.

It would seem surprising to to me that this cruise is heavily booked given the season, the fact prices on it haven't appeared to have risen, and we're still 7 months out. But maybe that's just wishful thinking??

About 6 months ago I started doing research into Sep/Oct 2013 cruises. I noticed that there were some sailings where almost no categories of outside cabin were coming up as available. Yet, about a week later, I could book any one that I wanted. I have no idea why this was the case.

I've also noticed that availability varies depending how many people you are trying to put in one stateroom. I just went to the DCL website, and for my family of 3, there still appears to be quite a few options, including outsides that sleep up to 5. Yet when I stab in a family of 5, the options narrow to just verandah categories.

Perhaps ring DCL and see what sort of availability they really have. And if you do find any info on how full the cruise is, please come back to this thread and let me know. :-)
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #5
neg58
DIS Veteran

Things have been wacky on my cruise for awhile. I'm on the WBPC in May, and have been checking every few days to try to see how full it will be.

In Jan., they release FL rates, and the *GT. The response was huge, and many categories disappeared in days. Then for the next few weeks, only a few categories were on the web. Then NONE, said the cruise was sold out. Then only concierge, and only one room. Then sometimes a new category would come on for a few days, like 9A one week, 9D the next (9A gone). This week? All the 10's and 11's are there, all the 9's, 4A is still there today but 4B is now gone. The concierge flips between 5 and 6 available on any given day.

Who KNOWS what is going on. The one thing that has remained constant since the *GT sold out is that the prices went way up, as if the ship was full, and haven't come down.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #6
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
I've also noticed that availability varies depending how many people you are trying to put in one stateroom. I just went to the DCL website, and for my family of 3, there still appears to be quite a few options, including outsides that sleep up to 5. Yet when I stab in a family of 5, the options narrow to just verandah categories.

Perhaps ring DCL and see what sort of availability they really have. And if you do find any info on how full the cruise is, please come back to this thread and let me know. :-)
This is due to the capacity of the muster stations. Just because a room WILL sleep 4 or 5, doesn't mean that DCL can sell all the beds in each room. Having more beds in each room than what they can sell on each cruise allows guests more flexibility in booking their room. There are a certain number of 5s & 4s that can be sold on each cruise. Once that number is reached, they can't book that many people in a single room, regardless of the number of beds.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

If you're trying to move a dummy cruise and all you see are GTY, it is because your dummy cruise is booked as a GTY.

I had a dummy cruise that had this "glitch" and I ended up cancelling it b/c it was useless to me. CMs couldn't fix it.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: