Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #91
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
YUP! This last post confirms it - you guys are FUN! Not even whining over the traffic - the guys let you take photos at will - and happy eaters. What more could one ask for?

I'm going to Gatorland next week on your recommendation.

You just need to adopt an American granny for your next trip,
Ah, that wonderful traffic........what could you do? Us grouching would not make the masses move any faster. Thankfully we knew, at least somewhat, to expect a certain amount of congestion (though there was more than even we had anticipated..........oh my). But it was Christmas. We were all together. And we were enjoying life in the beautiful southern sun. The traffic was no big deal . Even if we were late, we would eventually get to where we were going.

I so hope you have an awesome time at Gatorland!!! Come back and let me know how you enjoyed it! And if Wrestler Tim still has both his arms . And his nose .

We would love to adopt an American granny!!! We have tried, with zero success, to get my mom to come with us on our getaways but she flatly refuses to get in a plane. She even made us get our wills done before our Disney trip in 2009, the first time we flew as a family, because she was sure we would crash into the Atlantic . I have always thought it would be great fun to have a multi-generational trip. Hey....we are considering a return getaway in August (thinking a week at Holiday Inn Orange Lake.....still in the discussion stages.....its between that and Kalahari in Sandusky). Wanna come?

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #92
mtmbyck
I AM Canadian eh!

Hey Gina. All caught up. Looks like an awesome trip. I heard Orlando has had amazing weather this winter. Hope if stays nice for March Break! Hey, my DH and I celebrate 20 years this April ( I think you mentioned this in your original post). love how you aren't stressed by any holiday mishaps - traffic, crowds, line-ups........

So when is the next big trip?
mtmbyck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 PM   #93
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmbyck View Post
Hey Gina. All caught up. Looks like an awesome trip. I heard Orlando has had amazing weather this winter. Hope if stays nice for March Break! Hey, my DH and I celebrate 20 years this April ( I think you mentioned this in your original post). love how you aren't stressed by any holiday mishaps - traffic, crowds, line-ups........

So when is the next big trip?
Hey there! Thanks for dropping in! The crickets have been deafening in here at times .

I have my fingers crossed that the weather will be spectacular on March Break . Just please be sure to bring back some sunshine and warmth to share with the rest of us when you come home!!! You must be starting to get excited.......March Break is roaring up on us!!!

1993 was obviously a good year to get married! You will celebrate just a little bit ahead of us.....our anniversary is May 1st. This is a "big" year for me, all things considered. Not only do we celebrate our 20th, I also happen to turn 40 . Then in January 2014, our boy will turn 18. That's a lot of "old lady" milestones to absorb in one 12 month period. I may need a good therapist by this time next year!!!

Ah, the next big trip. That's the question of the day. The boys initially said they wanted to do something different in the summer, after 3 holidays in Florida in 2012. Now they are not so sure, and have shortlisted it as a possiblity once again . We have been looking at a few resort properties in Orlando and are thinking it might be a good value vacation for the last week of August again . Decisions, decisions. I will continue to do some research and see what comes of it. I know I sure would like to see a ticker in my signature again!!!

Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #94
gillenkl
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your recommendation for gatorland and the airboat. Definately doing these on our next trip!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #95
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillenkl View Post
Thanks for your recommendation for gatorland and the airboat. Definately doing these on our next trip!
Fantastic!

They really are a nice combination to fill one day. Will you do Wild Willy's Airboats or a different provider?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #96
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Can I just *second* wild Willy's? I bought a private tour with Willy. It was AWESOME and he was WILD! Saw one alligator bigger than ME and that's saying something.

Gina, at 40, you are a mere BABE.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #97
gillenkl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
Fantastic!

They really are a nice combination to fill one day. Will you do Wild Willy's Airboats or a different provider?
I really liked Willys website and will probably do the private tour. Did you have directions from gatorland to willys....a way with less traffic?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #98
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaBabe View Post
Gina, at 40, you are a mere BABE.
HEY! I'm still 39 until November.......let's not rush things .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillenkl View Post
I really liked Willys website and will probably do the private tour. Did you have directions from gatorland to willys....a way with less traffic?
I don't think I kept them.......I am so sorry! Wild Willy's emailed me awesome directions when I booked our tour (and at our request, the directions were from Gatorland as they knew we were doing a "Gator Day" and were spending the morning there). I would bet if you called, they could zip you off something very quickly.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #99
Glennie5
DIS Veteran

Loved your photo's of Ohana's - it is our favorite character breakfast and a must do on every trip. The cousin thing would have weirded my son out too! John told me to make sure and say hi to Steve, so hi to Steve from John.
2015 Jan.(Port Orleans Riverside), 2013 May(Port Orleans Riverside),2011 Dec.(All Star Movies), 2011 Aug.(Port Orleans Riverside), 2011 May(Port Orleans Riverside), 2010 May(Port Orleans Riverside), 2009 Feb.(All Star Sports)&(Port Orleans Riverside), 2008 Sept.(Port Orleans Riverside)&(Caribbean Beach), 2008 Jan.(Port Orleans Riverside), 2007 May(Port Orleans Riverside) 2007 March(Port Orleans Riverside), 2006 Oct.(Off Site) 2006 March(Fort Wilderness Cabins), 2005 May(Off Site), 2003 Feb.(Off Site),
Glennie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #100
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Quote:
HEY! I'm still 39 until November.......let's not rush things .
Hey, what a coincidence! I've been 39 since January! (2002) - okay, so I'm really not rushing things...

Having fun living vicariously through your TR Gina. We'll be back in Orlando for 9 glorious days this March too! That's 8 weeks from TODAY!! Okay the big (39ish, but closer to 50, okay I really am 50) kid can't wait. We still haven't taken in Gatorland, and it still might not make the cut. There's 8 days left on our Disney tickets, and I just picked up 2+1 Uni tickets. We have to make the annual day trip to Sarasota, and everyone wants a day of shopping therapy. Pretty soon we're going to have to start on multi-week vacations.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #101
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennie5 View Post
Loved your photo's of Ohana's - it is our favorite character breakfast and a must do on every trip. The cousin thing would have weirded my son out too! John told me to make sure and say hi to Steve, so hi to Steve from John.
I will be sure to pass along the greetings to Steve! We should make that coffee date for the four of us.....I know Steve would very much enjoy the chance to catch up with an old school chum .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Hey, what a coincidence! I've been 39 since January! (2002) - okay, so I'm really not rushing things...

Having fun living vicariously through your TR Gina. We'll be back in Orlando for 9 glorious days this March too! That's 8 weeks from TODAY!! Okay the big (39ish, but closer to 50, okay I really am 50) kid can't wait. We still haven't taken in Gatorland, and it still might not make the cut. There's 8 days left on our Disney tickets, and I just picked up 2+1 Uni tickets. We have to make the annual day trip to Sarasota, and everyone wants a day of shopping therapy. Pretty soon we're going to have to start on multi-week vacations.
39 is a good age, I may have to stay this old for many years myself .

Okay, so I am totally envious of your March Break plans. 8 weeks will fly by in a heartbeat. I would totally love to make our getaways a full two weeks (building in a complete relaxation day here and there among the busy-ness) but our cat would never survive. She misses her Mama too much. But some day..........when I am feline-free......most definitely.

You guys with your upcoming getaways are making me sad. Waaahhhh!!!! Mine's over!!!!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:44 PM   #102
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

And so…….it was mid-afternoon, and we still had some time to enjoy before our much-anticipated 7:00 pm reservation at T-Rex. Downtown Disney, here we come!

The journey took us a while. No one was surprised, as the cars were streaming thickly toward the Downtown Disney area (probably a large group of these folks were tired of the crowds at the parks and thought they would escape some of the masses at DTD instead). We got a little worried as we pulled by the first parking lot that was posted as full, then the second, then the third……but finally, we got a decent spot around Planet Hollywood and we were all set. Not as bad as we feared, after all!

While some visitors aren’t really stuck on DTD or have little preference one way or another, we very much enjoy this area. We like the people watching, we like the shopping, we like the “vibe”, so to speak. Our first Orlando vacation was onsite at POR almost 4 years earlier, and during that trip we found ourselves at DTD almost every evening via the water taxi, and we hadn’t made it here on either of the next two getaways. This visit, then, was kind of like “coming home”.

For the first while, we strolled around and admired some of the holiday decorations, Disney-style. The clouds were starting to really roll in, so we figured we’d best do our touring NOW in the event that tomorrow’s forecasted rain arrived a little sooner than expected. The skies were looking pretty heavy!

We did a little browsing at the Christmas store, but sadly came out empty handed. For some reason, every darn Disney souvenir in the stores (even the Christmas ornaments) had 2013 on them. This was still 2012. I would be home by 2013. I may not be visiting in 2013. I don’t want a t-shirt, ornament, or otherwise with 2013 on it, I want something that says “2012”. But alas, ‘twas not to be. I wonder when they switched away from the 2012 merchandise, anyway?!?

More to come!!

Old 01-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #103
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

With still quite a while left to whittle away before our dinner plans, Steve asked if Jake and I would mind taking a walk down memory lane with him, and hop the water taxi over to POR. He has a particular soft spot for this resort (just not the small rooms) and vows to return someday when we are doing a couples trip after the boy has graduated from college and is no longer able to travel with dear old Mom & Dad. It sounded like a good idea to us, so we were off to the dock and boarded the next boat bound for Port Orleans.

The cruise was as leisurely and relaxing as we remembered. And like we remembered, it was a tad cool when the sun started to sink low in the sky. We were glad we brought our jackets.

Arriving at POR, we toured around the lobby and main buildings. Almost nothing had changed since our last visit, which was wonderfully comforting. It was just as cozy and lovely as we had remembered.

The boarding area for a return boat to DTD was quite busy, so we decided not to linger too long (lest we be late for those ressies!) and we got in line for the return trip. It took two boats, but finally we were on. By this time, the sun had long since set and the resort was all sparkly and serene.

Havin' a little fun on the boat.....and trying not to blink when the flash goes off!

We stepped off the boat with about 30 minutes to go before our reservation time. We strolled over to T-Rex, and did a little shopping along the way.

Before we knew it, it was time to check in amidst the holiday chaos (so glad we had reservations …. the wait time for walk-ups was being announced as at least 90 minutes, and I bet it would take 30-45 just to wait in the line to get to the person who could put your name ON the list….wowza!).

Coming up…….dinner in an Ice Cave. Our “expedition” is about to begin!

Old 01-11-2013, 03:55 PM   #104
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

Just thought I'd pop in and see if there were any additions......

I love DTD....seeing those pics really make me miss being there. I don't know if we can actually skip a year or two.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #105
Glennie5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I will be sure to pass along the greetings to Steve! We should make that coffee date for the four of us.....I know Steve would very much enjoy the chance to catch up with an old school chum
I think we should make a date for coffee too.
2015 Jan.(Port Orleans Riverside), 2013 May(Port Orleans Riverside),2011 Dec.(All Star Movies), 2011 Aug.(Port Orleans Riverside), 2011 May(Port Orleans Riverside), 2010 May(Port Orleans Riverside), 2009 Feb.(All Star Sports)&(Port Orleans Riverside), 2008 Sept.(Port Orleans Riverside)&(Caribbean Beach), 2008 Jan.(Port Orleans Riverside), 2007 May(Port Orleans Riverside) 2007 March(Port Orleans Riverside), 2006 Oct.(Off Site) 2006 March(Fort Wilderness Cabins), 2005 May(Off Site), 2003 Feb.(Off Site),
Glennie5 is offline   Reply With Quote