Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #166
BellaBaby
DIS Veteran

I believe you go through the town where Ron Jon's is and continue on the same road to Lori Wilson. I don't think it's too far from there tho.

Most recent: Last minute trip Coronado Springs 8/27-8/31 with DSIL/DBIL 15th anniversary
Recent: HOJO'S DL 5/28-6/4
4/03 ASMO and Caribbean Beach Resort
4/05 HOJO's DL
4/07 Nick Hotel and WH
4-5/09 Nick Hotel and WH
6/10 WH
5-6/11 HOJO'S DL
6/12 Split stay: WH/AKV/Poly
5/29-6/12/13 WH 2 WEEKS!!

Before kids:
1986 WDW
1992 DL
BellaBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #167
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

Gina,
Thanks so much for this report. Just made our Christmas plans to stay at the Residence Inn. Since we have Super Grover passes, we figured what better way to get the last use of them at the end of the year. And, we will head to BGT too. Really enjoyed it 2 years ago when we went there. Stayed at the Fairfield last time, so I am hoping the Residence will be just as nice, though not quite as close.

Will also be checking Groupon and Living Social closer to our leave time for mini golf discounts. We did the same thing 2 years ago, and have favorites that are almost the same as yours. I cannot remember which one it was, but I told my kids I hope our rental is still there when we were done with the course. I think it was the one near the C C's, near Universal, where we ate. Thought the same thing about my rental parked in their lot too!

Never been in Orlando over the holidays. It will be odd without the summer heat we are now so used to.
Lynne G is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 AM   #168
tgropp
DIS Veteran

Great report Gina. I just finish reading your report as I just finished making my reservations at the 11 month mark for next Christmas with the family.
I am sure that when the dust settles and the memories are relived with great joy, that you and your family will take another Christmas vacation . Especially when your son gets older and you may only see him and his family for 2 days over the Christmas season. We have 5 people (Son,daughter, spouses and grandchild) in total to look after but my wife and myself are so happy when we can spend 7 days with them
Feb 2012: DCL Mexican Riviera Cruise Dec 2011: VWL/BCV
Christmas 2010: VWL
Nov 2009: BC Villas Dec 2008: VWL/AKV/ Dolphin
Dec 2007: BWV/VWL Feb 2007: Dolphin/DCL Eastern cruise/OKW/VWL
Christmas/New Years 2005: WL/Dolphin
Dec 2002: AKL/WL
Christmas/New years 2000: BC/WL Christmas/New Years 1998: WL/BC
Christmas 1996:WL Junior Suite Christmas 1994: WL
Dec 1992:CBR Dec1989, April 1983, Jan 1980: OffSite
tgropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #169
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBaby View Post
I believe you go through the town where Ron Jon's is and continue on the same road to Lori Wilson. I don't think it's too far from there tho.
Perfect!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne G View Post
Gina,
Thanks so much for this report. Just made our Christmas plans to stay at the Residence Inn. Since we have Super Grover passes, we figured what better way to get the last use of them at the end of the year. And, we will head to BGT too. Really enjoyed it 2 years ago when we went there. Stayed at the Fairfield last time, so I am hoping the Residence will be just as nice, though not quite as close.

Never been in Orlando over the holidays. It will be odd without the summer heat we are now so used to.
Woo hoo! That deserves a little dance!!!

I am confident you will really like the Residence Inn. We would not hesitate to go back. Those Super Grover passes are great, and offer a lot of wonderful benefits. I would love to know how you enjoy BG at the holidays. Remember me next January and post some pics!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgropp View Post
Great report Gina. I just finish reading your report as I just finished making my reservations at the 11 month mark for next Christmas with the family.
I am sure that when the dust settles and the memories are relived with great joy, that you and your family will take another Christmas vacation . Especially when your son gets older and you may only see him and his family for 2 days over the Christmas season. We have 5 people (Son,daughter, spouses and grandchild) in total to look after but my wife and myself are so happy when we can spend 7 days with them
I would love to take another Christmas vacation in the future. When Jake is older, maybe an all-inclusive......I would love to go to Jamaica or the Dominican. I would also love to see New York City during the holiday season.....if only it were warmer there in December than it is at home!!!

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! Visit my trip report in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #170
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Thanks Gina,

Loved your report and living vicariously through your eyes. Your pictures are great and commentary is insightful. Glad to hear you are staying on our home turf next trip. I hope you love it as much as we do, and I really look forward to seeing it through your eyes. Just another 7 weeks til we are back "home".

Wondering if you have ever tried Brasa in Niagara Falls? I have to think that even with your boys' appetites, they may meet their match! Really, really good BBQ Churasco meats - all you can eat! A bit pricey, but deals can be found - especially for a deal hunter like you.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:52 PM   #171
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Thanks Gina,

Loved your report and living vicariously through your eyes. Your pictures are great and commentary is insightful. Glad to hear you are staying on our home turf next trip. I hope you love it as much as we do, and I really look forward to seeing it through your eyes. Just another 7 weeks til we are back "home".

Wondering if you have ever tried Brasa in Niagara Falls? I have to think that even with your boys' appetites, they may meet their match! Really, really good BBQ Churasco meats - all you can eat! A bit pricey, but deals can be found - especially for a deal hunter like you.
Well, thank you Sir!

I am getting soooooo excited about August. One of Steve's aunts and her husband go to Vistana every March with friends (who own there) and their Facebook pictures of the resort make us drool. I can't wait to see it for myself.

Hmmmmmmmm.....Brasa, you say? Never been there, but definitely going to check out where to find it in NF. We usually end up at the Falls at least once a year, and we're always looking for new places to try. My boys are meatatarians (as you could probably tell , they are so skinny! ) so all-you-can-eat barbecue is very much appealing. And you know I love the thrill of the chase for a good discount . Its like a sport. I'm not very athletic, so bargain hunting is more my style!!!

Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! Visit my trip report in progress: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Old 01-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #172
shalom
DIS Veteran

Yet another delight of a TR, Gina! Thanks so much. I only wish you hadn't started and finished the thing while we were traveling ourselves. I guess technically you started it the day before we left for Orlando, but somehow I missed that at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina View Post
We have never been to the Disney waterparks nor Cocoa Beach, so even after 4 trips, we are still finding new things to explore.

Much as I enjoy them, there's so much more to Orlando than the Disney parks. And my list keeps growing every time you do a report!
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:29 AM   #173
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
Yet another delight of a TR, Gina! Thanks so much. I only wish you hadn't started and finished the thing while we were traveling ourselves. I guess technically you started it the day before we left for Orlando, but somehow I missed that at the time.

Much as I enjoy them, there's so much more to Orlando than the Disney parks. And my list keeps growing every time you do a report!
Welcome home, shalom!!! I hope you had an awesome trip! (how was the weather?)

I am glad I have given you maybe a new idea or two for your next getaway. I just got a very kind PM from another Diser with a great idea for this August's getaway that I'm off to research right now. At this rate, I will have no problem filling another 8 days this summer!

Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #174
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I hope you had an awesome trip!
We did, I think. The weeks beforehand were crazy and I'm still recovering, so not dead sure yet. I'll know more after I finish my trip report.

Quote:
(how was the weather?)
Ridiculous warm. I thought we'd finally get some cooler temps, but up until the last full day, it was like being there in May.

Quote:
At this rate, I will have no problem filling another 8 days this summer!
And you haven't even done the Morse Museum or Leu Gardens! Which somehow I suspect will not make your son's to-do list anytime soon.

We finally got to Leu Gardens this last time, but barely. We just did a little corner of them -- meant to get back when it wasn't a free day but never did. The gardens are huge, I hadn't realized. And now I'm wondering where my pictures are from there, because I know I took some and they're not on Picasa.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #175
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We did, I think. The weeks beforehand were crazy and I'm still recovering, so not dead sure yet. I'll know more after I finish my trip report.

Ridiculous warm. I thought we'd finally get some cooler temps, but up until the last full day, it was like being there in May.

And you haven't even done the Morse Museum or Leu Gardens! Which somehow I suspect will not make your son's to-do list anytime soon.

We finally got to Leu Gardens this last time, but barely. We just did a little corner of them -- meant to get back when it wasn't a free day but never did. The gardens are huge, I hadn't realized. And now I'm wondering where my pictures are from there, because I know I took some and they're not on Picasa.
Oooooh.......a trip report! Ya know I'll be checking that out later today!!!

So glad you had some fabulous weather. Its minus -20 here this morning so I'm doing a lot of Florida dreaming these days.

You know, we just *might* get to the Leu Gardens this trip after all, if things work out like I hope they will. Jake has invited a friend to come along with us this summer, so if his parents agree, then while our teenagers sleep in for a morning or two (or three, or four!), Steve and I will have some time to ourselves to do some adult exploring I have a whole list of "boring, grown up places" that I want to visit. So keep those idea's coming!!!

Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 AM   #176
shalom
DIS Veteran

You're quick! Went back to add some stuff and you'd already replied. Guess you're not exaggerating about the Florida dreaming.

Quote:
Oooooh.......a trip report! Ya know I'll be checking that out later today!!!
I'm stalled on that at the moment, because I have to pry some pictures out of hubby's camera. He took pictures of the unit the first day, then didn't use that camera the rest of the trip, so they're still sitting in it! I'll get after him this evening and hopefully post the first two day's worth tonight. Right now it's just intros.

Quote:
Its minus -20 here this morning so I'm doing a lot of Florida dreaming these days.
It's in the single digits Fahrenheit here, which after two weeks in 80 degree weather is cold. Went out and corralled the outdoor cats last night -- one of them loves coming in when it's cold, but the other one can be a pain. She apparently thought it was pretty cold yesterday, though, because we managed to get hold of her and bring her in and she didn't even complain about it!

Quote:
I have a whole list of "boring, grown up places" that I want to visit. So keep those idea's coming!!!
There's a lot of shopping out by the Morse museum, although the store I thought sounded the coolest has closed. It's not discount shopping, though; more wandering around looking at pretty and unusual stuff. And there's a boat ride somewhere in Winter Park that's supposed to be nice and peaceable; canals and mansions, mostly.

Star Trek: The Exhibition has opened in Orlando, but we saw it in St. Louis so I had no plans of checking it out. Dunno what they're charging but if it's reasonable I'd recommend it for ST fans. I failed to check the Orlando Science Center before we went, and they had a Star Wars exhibit I kind of wish I'd planned on. We saw ads for it while there but didn't try to squeeze it in. The Science Center often has cool traveling exhibits there when we visit but there's just so much else to do we haven't gotten to it yet!

I can't believe you've gone out so many times and not seen the ocean! That surprised me. You should do that! The ocean is way cool!

I haven't been to Lori Wilson Park but sent hubby and some of the kids there once; they thought it was fine but aren't very persnickity. It's a beach, there's a bathroom, they're good.

I'm looking forward to your possible review of the Showcase of Citrus monster truck ride. That was something I considered for our January trip but just couldn't fit it in; only time we've gone when there was ripe fruit we were interested in picking. But I should think the monster truck ride is fun any time of year.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #177
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can't believe you've gone out so many times and not seen the ocean! That surprised me. You should do that! The ocean is way cool!
Trust me, its tops on the agenda for this getaway .

Jake is convinced he may become shark food in the process, but I don't care......I am willing to sacrifice my first-born (heck, my only-born) in order to finally dip my toes in the Atlantic.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #178
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Trust me, its tops on the agenda for this getaway .

Jake is convinced he may become shark food in the process, but I don't care......I am willing to sacrifice my first-born (heck, my only-born) in order to finally dip my toes in the Atlantic.
Unless he's planing on wearing a wet suit and thrashing around in the water like a seal he shouldn't be to concerned about sahrks

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:30 AM   #179
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
Unless he's planing on wearing a wet suit and thrashing around in the water like a seal he shouldn't be to concerned about sahrks

He figures he's kinda "meaty" (his mom is a good cook, ya know ) so he thinks he would be rather appealing to the resident carnivores!!

Ah, teenagers. If they made sense, it would take all the fun out of parenting.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #180
disney ny
Mouseketeer

Really enjoyed your trip report. It was neat to read about things in Orlando other than Disney. I went to a convention once at The Gaylord Palms but we had spent several days at The Swan first and were missing Disney so I don't think we gave it a chance. We knew it was a great hotel but we missed Disney. I think I would look at it differently now that I have been to Disney more. So nice to see that your son enjoys spending time with you- I hope someday my kids are like that too!
disney ny is offline   Reply With Quote