Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #16
DarthMama
Mouseketeer

We love Khan Academy -- my 3rd grader is doing 6th (and in some areas, 7th and 8th) grade math from working on the exercises there. He loves doing math and is just bored with the pace that it is taught in school, so it's a good supplement for him.
DarthMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #17
JessB320
DIS Veteran

I love this website, it saved my bacon in a organic chem class last year. I would have failed without it, my prof. Had a horrible lecturing style, the entire class was lost. A group of us started using the website and we got the highest grades in the class. I think it's a great resource
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
WDWJDS
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmbeachmom View Post

It's a great resource to supplement school Highly recommend it
I agree.
WDWJDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
Bungle
DIS Veteran

Kahn academy is a great resource. A supplement. But I have to say that making videos doesn't make you a teacher or expert on how students learn. Does our educational system need a lot of work? Absolutely. Do I think it will come in the way of a video based learning system? No.

Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Our daughter used Khan Academy as a resource while doing her online high school, edoptions Academy. Both were excellent. edoptions is accredited and our daughter was accepted at all the schools she chose.
Just because Khan isn't a teacher doesn't mean he did not find a better way to get information across to students. I agree that more and more students will be home schooled or that traditional schools will introduce more internet based teaching.
This is not against teachers. The education system is failing a large portion of children. He's offering an alternative. Online education may not be right for every child but then traditional brick and mortar schools are not either. In our daughter's case, she has ADD. The meds she was taking made her eat almost nothing. She was getting sick and losing too much weight. Online schooling allowed her to work on her classes, take breaks, and then get back to work without medication. She finished school with a 3.75 average and that was after having struggled through her Freshman year in a traditional school. She has lots of friends and did not miss any high school activities because her friends always invited her to games, dances, etc.
It may not be the best type of school for many students but it was the best thing for her.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #21
nd5056
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
...Do I think it will come in the way of a video based learning system? No...
OT. This just reminded me of THIS web site...

Anyway, one credit I'll give to Mr. Gates is that he had a vision that revolutionized the computer industry.

Wondering what potential he saw in this approach to teach, enough to inject some money into it.

Last edited by nd5056; 01-04-2013 at 08:39 PM.
nd5056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #22
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd5056 View Post
OT. This just reminded me of THIS web site...

Anyway, one credit I'll give to Mr. Gates is that he had a vision that revolutionized the computer industry.

Wondering what potential he saw in this approach to teach, enough to inject some money into it.
Love the website, thanks for sharing.
Bill Gates home schooled his own children. In any type of education, once parents are involved they can find things that need improvement. Maybe that's why he invested in Kahn's Academy.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #23
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

Bill Gates' interest in online teaching just might have something to do with advancing his business interests.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #24
diamondpixienc
DIS Veteran

Wow! I am seriously out of the loop. This is the first i have heard of this and just checked it out. I think we will give this a whirl with my second grader. Thanks for the info.

diamondpixienc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #25
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

I'm a high school math teacher.

Here's my experience: Like anything else, the Khan Academy videos, and everything else like them, are a tool. /their value lies in the application.

I have no plan to ever completely "flip" my classroom. But I did start this year with kind of a "slow rollover."

Two or three times a week (at least prior to Hurricane Sandy-- she's put a bit of a crimp into my planning) my homework would be for my kids to watch a Khan Academy video, or some other similar video. They were to take notes, and I checked those notes the next day.

The next day in class, I went over the notes, but did so kind of quickly. There were no huge pauses as I waited for my kids to copy all those geometric theorems. But I DID explain each and every one. The kids were already familiar with the explanations, having seen them the night before. But I went over each one again, to ensure that the kids didn't have any additional questions not covered in the video. I also supplemented the information presented. Like most teachers, my own explanations and hints vary from my peers. I like to include those hints and shortcuts in the notes.

But, since they had already taken the vast majority of the notes, we had a whole lot more time for practice problems.

I loved it, and the kids loved it. It was a nice change for them-- it kind of broke up the homework load. I plan to go back to it next year (when I'm more sure that all my kids have access to a computer. Right now I still have a number who are displaced, and possibly a few still living in a shelter. So for the time being, I'm sticking to the textbook for homework.)

Like any other tool, the videos can be misused. But I think they're a great addition to the tools at my disposal to help my kids learn math.

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #26
slriver
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for posting this information. I had not heard about these videos/learning style. This is just what I am looking for to help my daughter with Math.

Tracy
slriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #27
Aliceacc

Here's another fabulous resource for high school kids:
http://www.regentsprep.org/

The school district in Oswego NY has this site to prepare kids for the NY State Regents Exams. The explanations are good, and the problems provide feedback.

Whether or not your kids take Regents, it's a great review site.

numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #28
shortbun
Peacenik

Passing along useful information on the DIS, gotta love it!!! Thanks everyone, my high school aged son and my husband, who's teaching Middle school math and science BOTH liked what they saw last night!!!

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:33 AM   #29
Aliceacc

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
We have found the Khan Academy to be quite helpful in Algebra. The subjects correspond well to my DD's text book. She usually watches the videos as test prep or when she has problems with her homework. They can be hard to navigate. I wish that I could save favorite videos so I could review the videos in advance and then point her to the ones that she needs to watch.
Couldn't you just cut and paste links onto a Word document or email? I cut and paste them onto my classroom website all the time. When I put the homework on the board, it's "watch video." My kids know to go to my site, and find the appropriate date's homework.

Last edited by Aliceacc; 01-05-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #30
bekkiz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Love the website, thanks for sharing.
Bill Gates home schooled his own children. In any type of education, once parents are involved they can find things that need improvement. Maybe that's why he invested in Kahn's Academy.
Not that it matters, but he home-schooled them while on vacation for a few months. His children actually attend(ed) a very expensive, and academically advanced private school in Seattle. The same one Bill went to as a kid.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: