Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
erin1715
DIS Veteran

Crazy to leave at 3am for flight??

Hi all, right now we are booked on a flight that gets to Orlando at 4:30pm, which is okay. However, there is a flight that leaves our airport (Albany) at 7:30am and gets to Orlando at 10:40am! Seems like a no brainer, right?

The only problem is that we have to drive 2 hours to get to the airport, so we'd need to leave our house by 3am to make the 7:30am flight. Am I crazy to even consider doing that? I just want as much of the magic as I can get! It's only my husband and I, so no kids will be traveling.

We don't do parks on the day of arrival so we'd just plan on lounging around our hotel, which is the fabulous Beach Club!

What do you all think?
erin1715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

I'm in a similar situation (lengthy drive to nearest big airports). It depends on how much of a morning person you are as to whether you could leave at 3 AM. One alternative that comes to my mind is going to Albany the night before and staying in a cheap hotel near the airport. That way you could get up 2 or more hours later and make the same flight.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post
Hi all, right now we are booked on a flight that gets to Orlando at 4:30pm, which is okay. However, there is a flight that leaves our airport (Albany) at 7:30am and gets to Orlando at 10:40am! Seems like a no brainer, right?

The only problem is that we have to drive 2 hours to get to the airport, so we'd need to leave our house by 3am to make the 7:30am flight. Am I crazy to even consider doing that? I just want as much of the magic as I can get! It's only my husband and I, so no kids will be traveling.

We don't do parks on the day of arrival so we'd just plan on lounging around our hotel, which is the fabulous Beach Club!

What do you all think?
I don't think you're crazy. I don't know that I'd do it, but I might. What does your husband think?

Is there a "park and fly" airport nearby? What if you go up the night before?

Added thought... for us to leave (even if it's just DW & I) at 3am, we'd be waking up at 2am.
Added thought2... keep in mind, that gets you to your resort ~Noon. It's possible you won't be able to get into your room until 4pm or later.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
niffer5150
Mouseketeer

I think it's fine. tomorrow morning I have to get up at 2 am so we can leave at 3 to drive to lax for our 6:30 flight. you're not the only one riding the crazy plane to wdw and since we're west coast, we're doing a park because there's no way we can go to sleep that early.
niffer5150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Buzz's Buddy
DIS Veteran

We almost always take the earliest flight possible. Like you, I like to get as much vacation time as possible.

Since you're planning on a resort day that day, I say go for it.

But I would definitely look into a park/sleep/fly. You may be able to get a room and parking for not much more than it would cost to park and you wouldn't have to wake up so early!
Buzz's Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
kamms
Earning My Ears

I'm all for getting there as early as possible, so I vote for leaving at 3:30 a.m. Have a great trip!
ASMovies
ASMusic
SSR- 2 stays
OKW
CR- DH
POFQ- DW
SWAN
AKV
kamms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
mikehn
DIS Veteran

getting up at 3am is not my idea of going on vacation, but thats me. For me, the magic starts as soon as I get off work the day before my trip.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
JennyT2
Mouseketeer

I would do it in a heart beat ... in fact, we will be leaving by 4am with 2 kids to be at airport parking by 5am or so for a 7am flight. Even if you aren't in your room by 4pm, you can still hit the pool just put your bathing suit in your carry one.

Next DCL trip Aug/2015
JennyT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
conniehar90
DIS Veteran

I went to NY with my sisters (all adults) and we picked a 7 am flight because we wanted to maximize our time. We had to get up at 3 am. We all agreed afterwards that we would not do that again as we were all exhausted and cranky (no one really slept the night before because we knew we had to get up at 3 am). We did have a lot planned for that day so that may have contributed to it.

So, if you guys are just hanging at the pool it might be ok, but I would be concerned with what the prior poster said about not being able to check-in. I wouldn't want to be hanging around the lobby waiting to check in.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniehar90 View Post
So, if you guys are just hanging at the pool it might be ok, but I would be concerned with what the prior poster said about not being able to check-in. I wouldn't want to be hanging around the lobby waiting to check in.
That's not the way it works. You can check in in a few minutes no matter when you get there. It's just that your room may not be ready until mid or late afternoon. Until your room is ready, you can go hang out at the pool, go to a park, or whatever you like. When your room is ready, you will be notified by text if you choose that (or you can call the front desk), and can go straight to your room whenever you wish, without need of stopping at the front desk again.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
a742246
older than dirt

I live 2 hours from the Albany airport also. I always get the 7:30 flight.
My reasoning.
Since all of my Disney vacations are either in November and March the weather
plays a big factor. I would rather be in 70+ temperatures then 30"s. By having 6 extra hours of sunshine for no extra costs I would gladly wake up 3-4 hours early.
Other factors: no traffic problems, the 7:00 am flights are nonstop, check-in is a breeze, you have a full day ahead of you, flights tend to be ontime more in the mornings.

Good luck.
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin1715 View Post

What do you all think?
Without my children; I would do it (and have). We stay at a hotel by the airport the night before and leave our car at the hotel and take the hotel shuttle to the airport. With kids, I would not because they would be cranky and I would be paying for it for two days.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
ccgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #13
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

DH & I have done that many times (before kids). We would usually get to the resort, check in (have them hold our bags if the room isn't ready) and go check out a park or DTD for awhile before going back to the room for an afternoon nap and unpacking then back out for the evening
DD (2014)
tink_n_pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
Ed J
Removing my ears

Location: Near the beach in NJ, not the shore, tourists call it the shore.

Our last trip we left PHL at 620 AM, that had us getting picked up by the car service at our house at 345 AM. This was the first time in many trips we did an early departure as we usually leave after work for the trip down.

Getting up early to leave on vacation wasn't an issue (we meet 2 other families at the AP) for anyone and we were in the MK for lunch. So it was like a bonus day for us. I'll do this again if its an option on future trips.
11/11 (Jersey week) Marriott's Lakeshore Reserve & POR
8/09 Grand Californian Hotel 11/10 (Jersey week) Marriott's Cypress Harbour & Holiday Inn @ DTD
11/08 (Jersey week) Marriott's Cypress Harbour & The Crown Plaza Universal
11/04 (Jersey week) Cypress Pointe 11/06 (Jersey week) Marriott's Horizons & The Nick
11/00 (Jersey week) Holiday inn ~ Now the Nick 11/02 (Jersey week) Marriott's Grande Vista
3/1989 Pineapple Peteís Hawaiian Retreat 11/1997 Embassy Suites

Iím not good at many things, but 1 thing Iím very good at is going on vacation
Ed J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #15
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

We have done it a few times when the flights out of the airport in Akron where cheaper than Cleveland which meant leave at 3am. The traffic is great barely a soul on the road. If the weather is predicted to be bad I would get a room at a hotel close to the airport though.

it does make for a long day but hey you are at Disney so you have no bed time schedule to follow so I say go for it.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: