Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
finz2left
Mouseketeer

US Travel Experts: What would you do? Atlanta-Denver fly or drive?

Okay, so this summer I have to go to Denver for a conference. I could fly for a family of four for about $900.00. Then, we'd just rent a car and do some Denver sights. OR, rent a car and go to Yellowstone (9 hours) and Mt. Rushmore, return to Denver to fly out. OR, just drive from ATL and take in the whole trip to Yellowstone and back. I am looking at mapquest and it seems like the drive is rather boring.

So, what would you do? Financially AND family fun-wise?

Last edited by finz2left; 01-04-2013 at 07:16 PM.
finz2left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

I'd fly for that price. But I find anything longer than a 1 day drive torture.
MomToOne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #3
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

There would be no family fun if we were in a car that long.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

FLY!!!!

RachelTori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

If you want to see Yellowstone, how about flying to Denver and driving from there, then flying home from Denver again. That is a long drive with an awful lot of nothing. Even driving from Denver is going to be a long drive with a lot of nothing, but better than from Atlanta!

Oops. Just noticed that is one of your options. That is probably what I would do. I would NOT suggest driving round trip from Atlanta.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Bete
DIS Veteran

It's not just the money aspect. Last year we saw Mt Rushmore. It's important to see these sights, if possible. You need to plan your time and you will find there's things to do along the way. It will take longer to go by car. Try some museums along the way.

We are hoping to do Yellowstone this year. If you can do both on the same trip that would be worthwhile.

Not too far from Denver is Colorado Springs. We absolutely love a place called Garden of the Gods there. It's one of my favorite places, now.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
StephMK
DIS Veteran

FLY! After driving 20 hrs to get there, it will be much harder to excited about more driving to get to any other locations! Plus I can tell you there is not much to look at on the majority of the drive through KS & MO.

I don't know how much time you'll be able to take but there is so much to see out that way! We love the Badlands but it may be out of your way if you're planning the other stops.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #8
merrily
DIS Veteran

Several years ago our family flew to Denver. We drove to South Dakota, saw Custer State Park, Mt Rushmore, the Badlands. We then headed toward Yellowstone stopping in Deadwood and at Devils tower. We headed to Cody, WY for a day then on to Yellowstone. From there we went to Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons. Then off to Estes Park, CO and Rocky Mountain National Park and returned to Denver to fly home. This was over a two week period. We saw tons of things but it was a heck of a lot of driving. I think we drove about 2000 miles over the course of the trip.

It's doable but exhausting. And I wouldn't have wanted to drive all the way back home after all that. FYI- it was one of our favorite and most memorable vacations. If you do it, rent a large vehicle so you will have space to be comfortable.
merrily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Kasper1014
Earning My Ears

My family loves driving. You can pack whatever you want, buy all the souvenirs you want.....plus stop and see all the sights and sounds.

But if we are on a time limit, then we fly, while deep down wishing we were driving.

Disney World March 2014!

Wizarding World of Harry Potter...and Universal Studios Dec 18 -22, 2011.

DH 45, Me 41, DS 19, DS 16, and DD 14
Kasper1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #10
finz2left
Mouseketeer

THANK YOU!!!!

We will fly to Denver and drive from there! A couple of you gave me AWESOME places to look into, so thank you!!!
finz2left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

I would fly and rent a car in Denver. Take whatever you have for time seeing really Colorado vs just hitting the highlights and wasting time in the car to get to the next place.

We spent almost 2 weeks in Denver area a couple years ago. We went to Colorado Springs (stayed in Manitou Springs, where Pikes Peak is. I think it ended up faring ok after the forest fires. It's a fun little town.) Then we went up to Rocky Mountain National Park, could have spent much more time there. Spent some more time in Denver and Golden. I think we could go back out and still find plenty more stuff to do.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

So glad you are flying! I've done the drive from Augusta, GA to Colorado Springs (broke it up with a stop in Missouri to see my parents) and it is HORRIBLE!!!!!

Let me know if you need any info/ideas on Denver/Colorado Springs. I lived in both and have been visiting my whole life before I finally got to move here permanently. I love it out here!

Jill in CO
Old 01-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

your estimates of time/distance are a bit over optimistic. I live in Colorado Springs and my mother and in laws live in Cody,Wyoming. It is every bit of 10 hours from Denver to Cody, then another hour to Yellowstone and any where from two to four hours after that to where ever your lodging may be. Speed limit in Yellowstone is 35 mph. If you are planning to visit Yellowstone this summer make Lodging reservations NOW like TODAY or you will be sleeping in Cody, West Yellowstone or Gardiner which adds hours to your day just for driving.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I'd fly. But I hate driving distances.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by finz2left View Post
THANK YOU!!!!

We will fly to Denver and drive from there! A couple of you gave me AWESOME places to look into, so thank you!!!
I think you made the right decision. My daughter went 3 or 4 times to compete at the National 4-H Round-up in Denver (we're not too far from Georgia). They went on the university's athletic bus which was super nice and comfortable with DVD players, etc. She still said it was an awful trip - just so long.
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: