Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
jennybdis
Mouseketeer

I'm so undecided on March vs. June...

We currently have a trip booked for the first week of March, but now that the new promo is out, I am considering changing the reservation to the second week of June. Our rates would be exactly the same.

Although I am dying to escape the cold in 56 days, I am a little concerned about a March trip, and would love some input from people who have traveled during both times of the year.

Early March makes me concerned for several reasons:

1. (this is my primary concern) It's the thick of flu and stomach bug season (and the flu has been bad here). The last thing I want is for one of us to get sick on the trip or all of us to get sick on the trip and for it to be a waste or partially a waste. I realize that anyone can get ill at anytime of the year, but the flu and stomach bugs are much less prevalent in June than they are in March.

2. I would like it to be summer-like when we travel. I don't necessarily mean 100 degrees, but warm enough to go swimming at night and not freeze your butt off when you get out. I can't really wrap my mind around how warm it truly is in early March in Florida. Will it even be warm enough that my kids will *want* to go swimming? Will we hit a cold patch and it only be in the 60s? (Not that 60 degrees isn't lovely, but if I'm coming from Pennsylvania after several long months of winter, I want it to be shorts and t-shirt weather.)

3. I'm having second thoughts about taking the kids out of school. We planned the trip for a week where they had 1.5 days off of school, so they're really only missing 3.5 days. But trips are a PITA--we have to have it approved (it will be), they have to write reports on the trip, they have to make up all of their work, etc. They are all good students, and they could definitely wind up being out of school for the same amount of time (or longer) with an illness, but I kinda feel bad about taking them out and handing them a whole bunch of work to do plus writing a paper about the trip as soon as we get back from vacation.

4. If we go in March, that's our trip for the year. The summer will be sort of anti-climactic as we won't plan another vacation, other than maybe a few day trips. I know I'll feel a little jealous of neighbors and friends headed off for weeks here and there when we vacationed back in March...

5. We could go to Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach, which we haven't done yet. Plus, if we switch to June, we would get an extra day with the way our flight change would occur (but that also adds an extra day of expenses).

6. Plus, if we go in June, it's Stars Wars weekend. My kids and my husband will love that.

The cons of going in early June:

1. It could be hot. We went in late June/early July this past year, so we know what it's like in Florida in the thick of summer. I don't mind it. But I know my family isn't quite as thrilled about heat as I am. On the same hand, I know some people vow to never do Disney during the summer, and our family didn't find it so unbearable that no one said they wouldn't do it again (and it should be a little "cooler" towards early June as opposed to late June/early July...)

2. It adds another 100 days to our trip.

3. I have to pay for a flight change. It's not a huge expense ($250), but it's an added expense.

4. We would miss the flower show at Epcot. Granted, I'm probably the only one who cares about that, but...

Thoughts? Anyone feel strongly about one month vs. another?
jennybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
disnmooner2013
Mouseketeer

what promo is out for June and where did you find it?
disnmooner2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
scottmel
Does my logic in my original question make sense
I need to see it in a new light I guess

you so sound like me!!! I have always avoided the March travel for the flu bug reason as well. We use to go in late Feb. but honestly it was such a nail biter on someone being sick. I worried constantly.....not to say you can't get sick in June...but...March is stil that flu season stigma!!!

Because of DD's school we went in June 2009 and I was reluctant. I HATE HEAT. We are in Western Pa and I don't do heat well. Well if you look at my ticker I am planning my 5th june trip in a row!! I LOVE JUNE! Yes it is hot but honestly you adapt. We tour from 9 till 1, then rest, back at it 5 and after. I love later park hours, I love warm night swimming...I just like the new worries of school hanging over our heads. I causually mentioned to DD last June if she ever would consider a MAY trip and she said no way. SCHOOL and the fact that we all like to kick off the summer with our disney trip.

I am so in favor of June!!!!! Star Wars weekend is a must see. We did it in 09 and 10 and it is pretty crowded. Sunday is the best day there. I think the planning of the trip is so exciting. That was a regret I always had when Feb trip was over...I was like "now what"?
DP
scottmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
Barnhill9586
DIS Dad's Club Member #556

I would pick June personally. The weather is iffy in March (we've gone for Spring Break in either March or April for about 6 straight years and have had good weather but not necessarily good pool weather...at least for us). We booked 5/25-6/2 yesterday with the new deal and saved a ton.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #5
Barnhill9586
DIS Dad's Club Member #556

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnmooner2013 View Post
what promo is out for June and where did you find it?
http://bookwdw.reservations.disney.g...t=fy13q2q3room

This is the discount we used. 30% off the room at BC and also tickets are discounted if you purchase a resort/ticket package with at least 4 days of theme park tickets. It save us just over $1300!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

We have done both--in school times and June, July, August. June is great. Yes, a little hotter. But, you cannot beat the advantages of the kids being out of school. It is nice for them and for you. There is nothing hanging over you while you are on vacation and when you get back. You know you are on vacation--it's Summer! Also, the water parks are a lot of fun. I never thought I would like them as much as I do. I have to have warm enough weather to enjoy. Whatever you decide, have a blast!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
tcherjen
DIS Veteran

I know how you feel! I would love to go in June, but my last day is later in June. We are going in March, the 13th-18th. Hoping it is magical and not too crowed. I know swimming is off, I live in north Florida and am so cold right now.

medhdd7ds16 dd19

http://www.pinterest.com/tcherjen/
tcherjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
WishUponAStar520
Earning My Ears

Last year my husband and I went to the waterparks, which we love, at the very end of March and although it was warm outside once you got in the water and got out it was freezing!! I was so cold we had to leave. If you have never been to them make sure you go when its hot out, they are alot of fun! My husband enjoys the water parks more than the actual theme parks I would def wait til June!
WishUponAStar520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #9
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

I personally would stay with March.

We go in June ( since my dd has a vb tournament at ESPN) and it is hot hot hot in June and a lot more rain too.

we have been able to swim March with no problems (never did water parks though).
Old 01-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

brucerob62

March can be 80 degrees plenty warm to swim..pools are heated.and yes the crowds are high,,but no worse than June,,,and its way to hot in JUne,,unless you go in first week of june 85-90 instead of 95 everyday..not too bad but still very humid,,,cant enjoy anything when our family is hot in the parks anyway. I choose March hands down.
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
jennybdis
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the continued feedback!

Another pro for June? We'd be there during our anniversary and we could celebrate at V&A.
jennybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I have been in March, arrived on 3/17, and it was unusually cool. Had to wear a hoodie. But the rest of the trip, was warm in the 80s and fine for swimming. June is hot. We didn't think the summer heat would bother us, but when we went in September, it did. We had to go back to the resort in the afternoon, we never felt like eating and had left over dining credits because of it, and it wasn't as pleasant as touring in more comfortable weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybdis View Post
1. (this is my primary concern) It's the thick of flu and stomach bug season (and the flu has been bad here). The last thing I want is for one of us to get sick on the trip or all of us to get sick on the trip and for it to be a waste or partially a waste. I realize that anyone can get ill at anytime of the year, but the flu and stomach bugs are much less prevalent in June than they are in March. Have you gotten flu shots? I did hear on the news that flu season has peaked early and the main strain is actually the same one in the flu shots/

2. I would like it to be summer-like when we travel. I don't necessarily mean 100 degrees, but warm enough to go swimming at night and not freeze your butt off when you get out. I can't really wrap my mind around how warm it truly is in early March in Florida. Will it even be warm enough that my kids will *want* to go swimming? Will we hit a cold patch and it only be in the 60s? (Not that 60 degrees isn't lovely, but if I'm coming from Pennsylvania after several long months of winter, I want it to be shorts and t-shirt weather.) While it's possible there could be a cold spell in early March, its also possible, in fact likely, it could be near 100 degrees in June. I guess you'd have to decide which you'd rather.

3. I'm having second thoughts about taking the kids out of school. We planned the trip for a week where they had 1.5 days off of school, so they're really only missing 3.5 days. But trips are a PITA--we have to have it approved (it will be), they have to write reports on the trip, they have to make up all of their work, etc. They are all good students, and they could definitely wind up being out of school for the same amount of time (or longer) with an illness, but I kinda feel bad about taking them out and handing them a whole bunch of work to do plus writing a paper about the trip as soon as we get back from vacation.

4. If we go in March, that's our trip for the year. The summer will be sort of anti-climactic as we won't plan another vacation, other than maybe a few day trips. I know I'll feel a little jealous of neighbors and friends headed off for weeks here and there when we vacationed back in March... True, but at least you can enjoy your local area with the nice weather in the summer. Traveling in March will be a nice reprieve from the winter.

5. We could go to Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach, which we haven't done yet. Plus, if we switch to June, we would get an extra day with the way our flight change would occur (but that also adds an extra day of expenses). You could do this in March too. We've done TL but wouldn't plan our trip around doing a water park.

6. Plus, if we go in June, it's Stars Wars weekend. My kids and my husband will love that. Keep in mind its also VERY crowded. Plan accordingly.

The cons of going in early June:

1. It could be hot. We went in late June/early July this past year, so we know what it's like in Florida in the thick of summer. I don't mind it. But I know my family isn't quite as thrilled about heat as I am. On the same hand, I know some people vow to never do Disney during the summer, and our family didn't find it so unbearable that no one said they wouldn't do it again (and it should be a little "cooler" towards early June as opposed to late June/early July...)

2. It adds another 100 days to our trip.

3. I have to pay for a flight change. It's not a huge expense ($250), but it's an added expense. Would you have to pay for a difference in fare too or just the change fee?

4. We would miss the flower show at Epcot. Granted, I'm probably the only one who cares about that, but...

Thoughts? Anyone feel strongly about one month vs. another?
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
catho72
DIS Veteran

You seem to have more pros for changing your March trip to June. I would rather go and relax in June than to have the kids make up a lot of missed work and play catch-up in class. We've gone in late February when the kids were much younger and it wasn't warm enough to swim. Sweatshirts and jackets were worn until early afternoon each day.

My vote is to go in June.

2/02 Holiday Inn (now Nick Hotel) 2/08 POR 9/08 POR 6/09 Regal Sun/Windsor Hills 7/10 Windsor Hills 7/11 Windsor Hills/AKL/BLT 7/12 Beach Club/AKL 7/13 BC CL 2/14 POP/SSR for PHM weekend 6/14 POR/BC CL/AoA split stay

catho72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
AntFarm
Mouseketeer

I would go with June because it seems there are more pros than cons based on what you explained in your post. It will be hotter yes, but that can be dealt with, crowd levels should be similar, and you will have a fun summer vacation without worries about missed school or illnesses.
AntFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

June gets my vote based on your thoughts.
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 16 DS 13 DD 11 Sebastian 5
mickey2minnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: