Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran
 
goofeygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The deep blue sea
Posts: 855

Mental prep breakdown for Goofy..esp the full

I am mentally prepping my mind for the full...because I have never done a full marathon before...and I doing the Goofy too. I have looked at the course map for the full and am mentally breaking it down like this:

mile 13 (because up till this point it would another half anyway)

Will be in AK and during this my mind might be thinking...OMG I am only HALFWAY through this!
I will be enjoying the short view of AK and when I exit I am thinking of mile 17which is less than 3miles away. Mile 17 is the start of the entrance to Sports Complex...and something wonderful happens at mile 20...but focus on mile 17 because its only less than 3miles from where I am at this point.

Mile 17 is the begining of the entrance to the sports complex...it gets better because mile 19 - 20 is highlighted, so I only have 2 miles before I get to mile 19...2 miles only.

Leaving mile 20 should feel invigorating I hope...but thats over so lets focus on the fantastic mile 22 which is only two more miles and that is the begining of entering Hollywood studios...only two miles until something great...

Leaving HS now at after mile 23 and LESS than two miles until Epcot entrance...less than two miles until the begining of the end.

Mile 25 is Epcot...the hardest and more rewarding part I can only imagine...probably feeling pain and wondering why they seemed to have moved that finish line further back...and that last 1.1 mile will really be like 5 miles...but the crowds...that has got to be a pusher! I know because I was part of that crowd last year and the runners would shout out a 'thanks' for the last bit of help. Its pretty much over by then...

Thats the mental plan.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
crewmatt
DIS Veteran
 
crewmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alexandria VA
Posts: 716

The best part about this race is that if you can make it to 23 your home free. It's the best finishing 3 miles anywhere. DHS - Boardwalk - Yacht/ Beach - EPCOT - home.

As far as mental toughness goes make sure to prepare yourself for the finish. It's a quarter mile into the parking lot - which was odd for me my first time. I was like this just goes on forever! Keep that in mind.

Also the entrance to WWoS is a 1 mile straight road. Not much different from Osceola.
__________________




crewmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
jmasgat
DIS Veteran
 
jmasgat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,692

Oh....never mind....when I saw "mental prep breakdown", I thought this would be about how one is suddenly falling apart, not motivated, dreading the upcoming races. If that had been the case, I would have jumped right in!

I am only part kidding. It is great to chunk things out. Definitely can help get through tough starts. My race strategy this year is to go from mile to mile, and stop and take pictures. I am telling myself that "this is the best year for you to actually ENJOY running at Disney" rather than racing for time (which I am prone to do when healthy and well trained)

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
JeffW
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 77

Mile 21 to 22 has always been the hardest for me in full marathons. For some reason, that mile seems to take about 3 hours to complete, no matter what pace I'm running.

Having been through it before, I know mentally that it is a wall, and I have to push through and then I'll be close to the point where I can say "Only a 5k left". I have a set of positive thoughts ready for those times. Things like seeing my kids run the Mickey Mile for the first time last year, seeing my wife near the finish of her first half marathon, seeing my family near the end of my first marathon, etc. Those thoughts not only help consume the time, but they give me a shot of adrenaline because of how much those events mattered to me.

One last thing. I like to look for kids (not just my own) along the course to draw energy from. Any kid holding up a sign for their mom/dad/grandma/grandpa/... instantly puts a smile on my face.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #5
irishtwins1112
Mouseketeer
 
irishtwins1112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewmatt View Post
The best part about this race is that if you can make it to 23 your home free. It's the best finishing 3 miles anywhere. DHS - Boardwalk - Yacht/ Beach - EPCOT - home.

As far as mental toughness goes make sure to prepare yourself for the finish. It's a quarter mile into the parking lot - which was odd for me my first time. I was like this just goes on forever! Keep that in mind.

Also the entrance to WWoS is a 1 mile straight road. Not much different from Osceola.
Not to be a debbie downer....but I got swept at the full 2009 at about 23.5 miles. I was about to go down the walkway by the lake where the DHS parking lot is. However, if you are not speed challenged you won't have to worry about it. Just a word of caution. I wouldn't say you are home free at 23 miles.

Anyway, I had a breakdown for the full but I like yours better goofeygirl! I think I might take it.
__________________
Me DH DS 3 DS 2
irishtwins1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Reep
Mouseketeer
 
Reep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofeygirl View Post
I am mentally prepping my mind for the full...because I have never done a full marathon before...and I doing the Goofy too.
Every person has to have their own plan, but having run this race, and many marathons, this is another way to think about it:

1. Miles 1-5 is the warm up. Just go slow. You will feel stiff and sore. Just relax, then celebrate at the Magic Kingdom. Have fun, high five people.
2. Miles 7-13 Now get down to business and get your pace set and celebrate the finish of this leg in AK.
3. Miles 14-20. Start thinking about the big party at mile 19.5. Think about what motivates you. This is probably the toughest part of the course. Celebrate the finish of this leg at the party. TRY NOT TO LOOK AT THE PEOPLE COMING BACK WHO HAVE ALREADY FINISHED MILES 20-21!!!
5. 20-23. A short, but tough part of the course. Start encouraging yourself that you are going to make it. Only 10k more to go. Starting thinking about running through Hollywood Studios.
6. 24-26.2 By this point you likely realize that you are going to make it and finish. Enjoy the nice running path and start thinking about the finish around the World Lagoon. When you hit 25, then open up the smile as you pass by all the countries and think about what you are going to eat after the race.

Another way to break it up is to think of it as:

A. Warm up (first 2-6 miles)
B. Tempo setting(miles 6-18 for me, get into your stride and relax)
C. The Wall (usually mile 18-21, concentrate on not giving up)
D. The Finish (miles 22-26.2) commit to a strong finish and victory lap.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Everyone should have a mental plan heading into the marathon. It simply makes the run go better. It can be as simple as running one mile at a time or a very complex plan that a runner looking to compete for the win may have – not too unlike the plan REEP outlined. Runners need some breakup of the event in order to chew it up.

BUT – that is usually not enough. What you will find as a first time marathoner is that your brain will say STOP thousands of times before your body really needs to stop. This is where those monotonous long runs come in. Take time this week and next to reflect on your runs…. What worked and what failed to work. Focus on the successful tools that got you through the runs and bank those in your current memory. As things start to get tough in the race, start playing these little thoughts and games that helped you through those spots that were tough in training. These tools may be as simple as breaking your un into small little bites… run to the next mile marker, to the next street light or to the next expansion joint in the road. Or, hanging onto the back of a runner 10 feet or so in front of you. Or drawing in a deep, cleansing breath. Many tools out there that work differently for all of us.

One thing to note for those running the back half of the Goofy as their first marathon. In a marathon, we all have that mile point where we all must push through. It generally hits in the 18-22 mile range. Because of the half the day before, there is a tendency for this wall to hit much earlier on Sunday than it will for the marathon alone. When hot and muggy it can hit as early as mile 13-15. If you notice that you are starting to feel the race that early, whoa up a bit and use your tool box to keep the legs headed in the correct direction. It is entirely manageable. Just something to understand may happen.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
FFigawi
DIS Veteran
 
FFigawi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 1,606

Another way of breaking up a marathon is into three segments. First 10 miles are nice and easy. Use them to warm up, get the blood flowing, and find your groove. Next 10 miles are for cruising. You're in the groove at your race pace and keep on going steady. Last 10k is when you look back at your training an tell yourself "Only 10k? Piece of cake after all those 18-mile long runs."
__________________
Cheers,

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran
 
goofeygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The deep blue sea
Posts: 855

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112 View Post
Not to be a debbie downer....but I got swept at the full 2009 at about 23.5 miles. I was about to go down the walkway by the lake where the DHS parking lot is. However, if you are not speed challenged you won't have to worry about it. Just a word of caution. I wouldn't say you are home free at 23 miles.

Anyway, I had a breakdown for the full but I like yours better goofeygirl! I think I might take it.
I am curious on this...what happened? Was it a physical breakdown or mental? What was it that got to you?
When you say go down the walkway by the lake, what does that mean?

Just curious.

Last edited by goofeygirl; 01-04-2013 at 06:02 PM.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran
 
goofeygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The deep blue sea
Posts: 855

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Everyone should have a mental plan heading into the marathon. It simply makes the run go better. It can be as simple as running one mile at a time or a very complex plan that a runner looking to compete for the win may have – not too unlike the plan REEP outlined. Runners need some breakup of the event in order to chew it up.

BUT – that is usually not enough. What you will find as a first time marathoner is that your brain will say STOP thousands of times before your body really needs to stop. This is where those monotonous long runs come in. Take time this week and next to reflect on your runs…. What worked and what failed to work. Focus on the successful tools that got you through the runs and bank those in your current memory. As things start to get tough in the race, start playing these little thoughts and games that helped you through those spots that were tough in training. These tools may be as simple as breaking your un into small little bites… run to the next mile marker, to the next street light or to the next expansion joint in the road. Or, hanging onto the back of a runner 10 feet or so in front of you. Or drawing in a deep, cleansing breath. Many tools out there that work differently for all of us.

One thing to note for those running the back half of the Goofy as their first marathon. In a marathon, we all have that mile point where we all must push through. It generally hits in the 18-22 mile range. Because of the half the day before, there is a tendency for this wall to hit much earlier on Sunday than it will for the marathon alone. When hot and muggy it can hit as early as mile 13-15. If you notice that you are starting to feel the race that early, whoa up a bit and use your tool box to keep the legs headed in the correct direction. It is entirely manageable. Just something to understand may happen.
..and I am trying to not to have some wall put up in front of me...but I have a weird tendancy to...within the first mile or two of a race I actually feel tired and not with it - this is actually normal for me...I feel...what the heck am I doing? But I keep going...by mile 5 or 6 or whatever mile it is, that thought has long gone.

Now my brother did his first marathon in Miami and it was brutal. He did finish it...it nearly 7 hours! Apparently they did the full and half togther and the only difference in the route is that the half veers off to the left to the finish line while the full moves forward. He told me he wanted to cry! He so badly wanted to just waltz left and cross the finish line and call it a day but he knew that move would bother him for the rest of his life..so he moved on...tears and all.

Oh and you just reminded me to add something else to my list...a sweat headband...salty sweat in my eyes stings.

Last edited by goofeygirl; 01-04-2013 at 06:04 PM.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
Disfan11
Mouseketeer
 
Disfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 389

Wow! These are all great.
I'll try to remember them.
Running at Disney World is going to be WAAAAYYYYYY better than my boring side of the road training routes that have gotten me to this point.
All the entertainment and characters will help me stay away from that dreaded "wall".

I can't wait for next week and to get Dopey underway!
__________________
Gretchen at the Tinkerbell 1/2 marathon
Disfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
irishtwins1112
Mouseketeer
 
irishtwins1112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofeygirl View Post
I am curious on this...what happened? Was it a physical breakdown or mental? What was it that got to you?
When you say go down the walkway by the lake, what does that mean?

Just curious.
I had completely finished the mgm park and was exiting. I walked past the station where they give out candy.....walked down the main avenue and I even have a picture taken while I was walking past the 23 mile marker(one of the race pictures) . I walked out the front of mgm where the parking lot is to your right and there is a walk way to your left going beside the lake(I believe you run on a sidewalk between two sets of bushes ......but someone correct me if I am wrong because that has been 4 years ago). They put up 3 traffic cones and said that we would not be allowed to finish. Put us on a small van(that was sitting in the parking lot) and we were taken to the staging area. There was a security guard and several of the sweeper bikes so I am guessing we were the last ones....I didn't see anyone behind us? I asked why we were swept because even though I had slowed considerably I thought I still had that cushion (the time between when I crossed the start line and the last person did) but they said we were too far off pace and they had to reopen the roads. I told them that was a load of crap (because I knew there were no more roads between the place where they were sweeping us and the finish) but it doesn't matter. We weren't keeping pace so I understand why we were swept.

I was doing the Goofy that weekend. It was my second marathon. I did even splits on most of my back to back runs of 15 minutes per mile during training that year. I can pull up my Garmin history and see how far off pace I was if you would like. I do remember seeing the bikes on the way into MGM. I asked the guy about my pace and he said that I was 30 seconds ahead of pace. I was in a bad mood and talking about how terrible I felt but the guy was really nice and he said "Just keep moving, your going to finish". There was a flag waving at Mile 23 I think.

Mainly I think my block was physical pain.....however I am sure there was a mental component to it. I had developed blisters(on both feet) during the first half of the marathon that popped almost simultaneously at Mile 10 (on the ball of my feet.....some parts in the tender portion under the toes). I was basically walk/running on raw meat until the end. It sucked monkey balls. I am not sure if I can say that on here......but it did. I was in a lot of pain.

Mentally, I think I was good until my friend doing the race with me left me somewhere between 20 and 22 miles. I know you have to run your own race but it was odd mentally for me because she was a 17-18 minute miler during training and it seemed like she half "donkeyed" every part of training that she did. I guess I expected her to be the one lagging and me to be the one to help her get to the finish. Instead, I had slowed down after mile 20 and she said "Are you sure you can't go any faster?". I said no looked down and when I looked up she was gone. No encouragement....no words of motivation....nothing. I guess I was a little bit annoyed at that whole situation. At some point I did say that I didn't know if I really wanted to finish.

Since I have decided it is better for me to do races alone.
__________________
Me DH DS 3 DS 2
irishtwins1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran
 
afnaechiquita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112 View Post
Mentally, I think I was good until my friend doing the race with me left me somewhere between 20 and 22 miles. I know you have to run your own race but it was odd mentally for me because she was a 17-18 minute miler during training and it seemed like she half "donkeyed" every part of training that she did. I guess I expected her to be the one lagging and me to be the one to help her get to the finish. Instead, I had slowed down after mile 20 and she said "Are you sure you can't go any faster?". I said no looked down and when I looked up she was gone. No encouragement....no words of motivation....nothing. I guess I was a little bit annoyed at that whole situation. At some point I did say that I didn't know if I really wanted to finish.

Since I have decided it is better for me to do races alone.
That is awful of your friend. I've always avoided running with someone because I never want to have the feeling of "am I slowing them down?/they're slowing me down." It's different though if you've been training together and planned to run and experience it together (especially at Disney, because of the different activities along the route).

Good luck this year (to you and everyone in the thread). Hopefully you'll have a better experience!
__________________
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:33 PM   #14
FFigawi
DIS Veteran
 
FFigawi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 1,606

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnaechiquita View Post
That is awful of your friend. I've always avoided running with someone because I never want to have the feeling of "am I slowing them down?/they're slowing me down." It's different though if you've been training together and planned to run and experience it together (especially at Disney, because of the different activities along the route).

Good luck this year (to you and everyone in the thread). Hopefully you'll have a better experience!
This is probably a good time to remind everyone who is planning on running part or all of the race with someone to discuss beforehand how you and your partner will handle situations like this. In general, most people agree to stick together as long as they can but recognize the fact that if one person gets hurt or really slows down, the other person is free to go off on their own to finish. Having this conversation before the race saves the awkwardness and hurt feelings of having it at mile 22.
__________________
Cheers,

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #15
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran
 
goofeygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The deep blue sea
Posts: 855

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
This is probably a good time to remind everyone who is planning on running part or all of the race with someone to discuss beforehand how you and your partner will handle situations like this. In general, most people agree to stick together as long as they can but recognize the fact that if one person gets hurt or really slows down, the other person is free to go off on their own to finish. Having this conversation before the race saves the awkwardness and hurt feelings of having it at mile 22.
Agreed 100%!!!!! I did a half with a friend I hadn't seen in over 25 years...we reconnected and what was odd was that she began doing half marathons...when I last saw her she HATED anything physcial. Reguardless, I realized she was in better shape than I was and I told her if at any point she wants to take off - than do it - I for one don't want to be the person that holds anyone back and I don't want to be held back myself. So she took off. We met at the finish line. All was fine. It could have been me taking off and if I was able, I would have. The end result was only a few minuets difference...
Mentally take a note that its okay for the other person to move forward and you do your best...instead of holding someone back for your sake.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.