Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Spazbat
Earning My Ears

How many CM "gifts" should I bring?

So this is our first cruise and I keep reading about giving little "gifts" to special CMs and staff as a thank-you on top of tipping. I like the idea of giving a little something extra to make someone's day.

For a 4-night cruise, how many of these gifts should I expect to bring?
Spazbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Anywhere from zero to 1000 (or 1500 on the new ships) depending on your intention.

There are 4 tipped positions...so if your intent is something a little extra with those, the answer would be 4. If you have kids in the programming and want to do something for them, a group gift is more effective as your child may interact with 20 or more CMs during the cruise. If you are one of the people who hand out gifts to random CMs on deck or whatever, the number is totally up to you. I'm not saying this is a bad thing--these are the yellow jump suit guys who are rarely rewarded.

Some people leave stuff at Guest Services for a particular department--engine room, theater tech crew, etc....another way to do something for groups that are rarely recognized.

Bottom line--nothing is expected beyond cash tips for the 4 tipped positions. Anything beyond that is totally up to you. People in non-tipped positions are not allowed to keep any cash that is given to them. They MUST turn it over to their manager or to Guest Services or risk job loss. They can keep small gifts like a candy bar or whatever.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
yearbooksharon
Disney Veteran

What types of "gifts" work the best

I'm new to the Disney Cruise business and we are planning our first cruise in June. I want to make sure I'm prepared. Does anyone have any feedback on what types of things are appreciated the most? I anticipated leaving a "bit extra" for the people who give outstanding service, but wonder what everyone else does.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

Our first cruise, I brought a bag of individually wrapped Life Savers for the kids' counselors from DS.

I didn't even think of the other unsung heroes of the ship until we were at Nassau, "parked" next to a different cruise ship. DCL crew were hard at work, scrubbing, cleaning, painting, etc. We did not see anyone working on the outside of the other cruise ship. Our ship looked GOOOD. I was proud to be able to say that we were on the "pretty" ship.

Needless to say, on our next cruise, I will be bringing something extra for the maintenance crew. They are constantly working to keep the ships looking new and clean.
dbarker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cast member, gift

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: