Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
Luv0fDisney
DIS Veteran

Usps really sucks

I just wanted to forewarn people about using the usps. I recently sold two items and both items the buyer said the item arrived broken. One person who I am dealing with now says the box it was shipped in was crushed.

So I think I will be using fedex or ups for all my packaging needs so I won't be out of money.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

Yes, I was a big USPS supporter but they have gone seriously downhill in the past year.
The other day, I got a stack of mail for a house on another street - all for the same person.
I used to mail all bills to support them, then bills weren't arriving in time. My cell phone bill didn't arrive so I had to pay it on-line so I would not be late. A week later the original arrived back with a letter from verizon saying they received the original payment and could not process it because of how they received it and they sent what they received back to me - it was in half - half the check was missing.
I have had major issues with packages which is why I stopped selling on Ebay. Packages were going all over the place and I made sure I have very neat handwriting for the scanners. I am in South Jersey and sent one package to the other side of Philly. It went to Philly, then to Puerto Rico and back to Philly.
I had another one that was supposed to go to Georgia, they DELIVERED it to another state with the same street. Thank God the person brought it back. Then they sent it to the international hub in Memphis to go out of the country. It took about three weeks until it made it to it's original destination.
And my poor friend made a ton of Christmas cookies for her father in Florida and sent them priority and they disappeared - Never made it anywhere.

How sad, I really tried sticking with them but they don't want to hear about any concerns or issues so I have had to move to automated billing to cut them out of the loop.

Thanks for letting me vent!

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-17-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
SLP958
DIS Veteran

I have stopped using them since they announced that awful policy of dropping spouses from insurance.
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
ellone
DIS Veteran

I have found a few ways to cut down on problems with the USPS. First always use new boxes to ship. Boxes that have been used don't have the strength to go around with them. Secondly use enough packing material. Third create printer shipping labels and tape over the address it is going to. This cuts down on their machines misreading the zip codes because of dirt.
ellone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP958 View Post
I have stopped using them since they announced that awful policy of dropping spouses from insurance.
That's UPS, not USPS, and the union agreed to it. The union is made up of employees so if they are ok with it I don't know why it should matter to someone who doesn't work there.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Oh the USPS stories I could tell. They are so bad.

Last week I shipped nail polish which she insisted would blow up the plane if it flew so it would take 7 days to get < 500 miles away. Then she charged me for priority mail.

We have community boxes. I'm box #1. I often get dozens of identical ads. I think the mail carrier just shoves the entire lot of them in my box.

He'll also keep packages for days if there is no key box available instead of bringing them to the house. So I get them 4-5 days after technically "delivered."
Old 11-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
CharityLynn
DIS Veteran

We often have to run up the street to check for our mail. We do have a mailbox by the road and more often then not get our mail but if their is a sub driver that day we never get it. Our street is no outlet we are the first house on the street, our street goes down a ways then come back around in a circle. Off the circle is another circle but this is a different street name.

Well the problem is that street has house # 105 and we are #105 on our street. I know confusing..Let's say I am 105 Blake and they are 105 Lynn. I can see where it can be confusing but its really annoying when it says the package has been delivered and it is nowhere at our house.

Our kids got Valentines cards from grandma's and Grandpa's one year each had like $5 cash. We didn't get that mail until April...because the family was in Florida.
Beach Club Villas 10/07
Bay Lake Tower 10/10
Beach Club Villas 10/14
CharityLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
mnrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
That's UPS, not USPS, and the union agreed to it. The union is made up of employees so if they are ok with it I don't know why it should matter to someone who doesn't work there.
Ok....true enough.

However, the suggestion that UPS "dropped" spouses from medical coverage is FLAT OUT FALSE. I know it makes a good sound bite, but it isn't TRUE.

Here's the truth (and I am a UPS spouse...I think I might know...LOL!). UPS offers medical benefits to full and part time union employees at NO cost to the employee. They can add spouses and dependent children, also at no cost. Good deal! What happened is that many UPS employees added their spouses. No problem. However, some of these spouses work too....and are offered medical benefits through their place of employment. Rather than accept those benefits, they make a strategic decision to decline them, and go solely with the UPS benefits.

This year, for the first time, they changed that. Now, if you are the spouse of a UPS employee and have the option of getting medical through your own employment, you MUST take that medical insurance as your PRIMARY insurance. You are still covered, secondarily, by the UPS benefits (at no cost to the UPS employee).

I see NO problem with this whatsoever. It is what I have done for all the years my husband has worked for UPS. My medical benefits cover me FIRST. Then, whatever is left (if any) is turned over to my secondary insurance, which is through UPS.

So, it simply is NOT true that UPS "stopped covering spouses." They stopped covering them as PRIMARY, but ONLY IF they have insurance through their own workplace. If the spouse does not work outside the home, they STILL are covered (at no cost to the employee) by UPS medical benefits.

This is the truth, and I wish it were reported accurately. I hate it when the sound bite is treated as fact.

I know it wasn't you that posted this "fact", but I wanted to set the record straight.
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
pieface
Mouseketeer

I have the post office for years and have never had a problem. Have shipped numerous items and they have been delivered quickly and never damaged. I mail a letter and it arrives the next day. I have no complaints.
pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv0fDisney View Post
I just wanted to forewarn people about using the usps. I recently sold two items and both items the buyer said the item arrived broken. One person who I am dealing with now says the box it was shipped in was crushed.

So I think I will be using fedex or ups for all my packaging needs so I won't be out of money.
DH boycotts fedex ground, ever since they destroyed his antique guitar on its way for some TLC. It arrived with tire tracks on the box, and the guitar was kindling.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieface View Post
I have the post office for years and have never had a problem. Have shipped numerous items and they have been delivered quickly and never damaged. I mail a letter and it arrives the next day. I have no complaints.
I've never had an issue either (althought I understand it can happen). Unless I have a prepaid UPS or FedEx label I will use USPS. The PO near me has one of the self serve kiosks which is really convenient for me.

The retailer I work for is a UPS shipping outlet and the girl I sit next too handles the claims/questions our customers have. Boxes get lost,damaged and crushed isn't out of the norm with them either. It is something that can and does happen with any shipper.
kwelch10377 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Great luck from USPS here too. I mail packages and letters all the time. It's been years since I had a problem.

My only complaint is that they keep taking away drop boxes. I get that they are trying to cut costs, but people won't use them if they don't have convenient drop-off spots.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #13
Luv0fDisney
DIS Veteran

i use brand new boxes whenever I ship things. I asked the usps lady behind the desk how to file a claim and she said "online" so I'm thinking of putting in a claim to get my $$ back. But it can take 21-180 days.

has anyone filed insurance to usps? how long did the insurance take to be reimbursed?
Old 11-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure any one is better than the others - it seems to come down to the people involved, and anyone can be having a bad day or just not care much about their job. I recently ordered something that was delivered UPS and both items (one very fragile and understandable, the other a lamp to match one I already own that has proven virtually indestructible) were broken when they arrived.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

If they can't be fired, why should they try to do a better job.

It used to be said it takes an act of god to fire someone. Now they are thumbing their noses at god.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: