Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #31
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

I think it's awesome.
I'm an avid Goodwill shopper. I'm sure if I saw some of the original owners of things I bought, I'd have second thoughts. But I don't! I've bought sheets and pillowcases, games, toys, books, clothes, etc etc. used and just clean it. I've passed on things that were gross or Unable to clean.

Some people are just weird. I'm talking about the coworkers.
Some people think ANYTHiNG used is gross.
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #32
mebbradley
Patiently waiting for the next trip to Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklein09 View Post
I buy used linens all the time at auctions - they can be washed. Not gross, in my opinion.

As for the sofa, no way...for the reason you stated....it can't be washed. There's no way to know what bodily fluids are down in the cushions even if the upholstery is clean. Ick.

Casegoods are an entirely different story. I recently bought a 1940s style dining room set. I was able to clean and lemon oil all the wood. I took the fabric and what bit of cushioning off the chairs and trashed all of it before it even came in the house. I started over with new foam, batting, and fabric over the wood frame.

But upholstered furniture...nope, not for me.
Doesn't bother me!
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #33
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavismom View Post
Not gross. Do these same people also not sleep in hotel beds? You are using someone else'e bedding there and don't even know for sure that is has been washed.
Great deal! I've sold lots of comforters at my garage sales. As longs as they are washed in hot water, they are probably a lot cleaner than the hotels!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #34
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

You scored big time! It's not gross at all. DH's coworkers are just jealous that they never thought to use Craigslist for something like bedding.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:02 PM   #35
Mamakop
Mouseketeer

I personally think buying used bedding is gross, but I think the same about clothing and shoes. However, if someone else told me they bought something used I wouldn't tell them I think it's gross. That is just rude

December 1-13, 2012: staying MK view at the Contemporary
August 2011: first family trip
Mamakop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #36
luvsmickeymouse
Opt to Adopt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JoGo* View Post
I think it's awesome.
I'm an avid Goodwill shopper. I'm sure if I saw some of the original owners of things I bought, I'd have second thoughts. But I don't! I've bought sheets and pillowcases, games, toys, books, clothes, etc etc. used and just clean it. I've passed on things that were gross or Unable to clean.

Some people are just weird. I'm talking about the coworkers.
Some people think ANYTHiNG used is gross.
This! I love Goodwill!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #37
sookie
DIS Veteran

I am a total germaphobe.

I think you scored - enjoy your new bedding set!

They are jelly!! LMAO!
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #38
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

My DD (a college freshman) really wanted a specific futon from Ikea for her dorm room. We found the exact one she wanted on craigslist about 10 miles from our house (Ikea is about 90 miles).

This futon - with a washable cover - was in pristine condition. Did not have a single spot on it. The mattress - also was in pristine condition - without any spotting.

We bought it for $125 - and would have cost $299 new. Getting the cover washed was about $6 - since we needed to go to a laundromat.

This was a great deal - and no regrets about getting it.

NOW - DD was very specific that she didn't want her roommate finding out that it was not brand new. So - we just didn't mention it when we moved DD into the dorm.

Next year - DD will not need a futon - and it will most likely end up in DD's boyfriend's room. And - I am A-OK with that.

To the OP - I see nothing "gross" at all with your great find!

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #39
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

I just want to defend my used couches. I love them and I would have never been able to afford something as nice and as good quality if I bought them new.

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #40
Judique
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles_and_Gabe View Post
I just want to defend my used couches. I love them and I would have never been able to afford something as nice and as good quality if I bought them new.
You should enjoy them!

I don't think either purchase is gross.

Especially since I am someone who has sold my used bedding, drapes, beds, couches, dressers and miscellaneous building supplies on Craigslist.

The only thing that didn't sell was the china cabinet.(At one point during renovation I had 3 china cabinets - my new one, my old one and the kids grandmas. Turned out a neighbor wanted it when I put it to the curb for the bulk pickup.

One person's extras are someone else's treasures.

Thank you for being green and recycling still usable items.
Judique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #41
ChiCat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles_and_Gabe
The nicest couch I've ever owned I bought used for right around $100. It was white and in excellent condition and lasted me many years. Some couple had it in their basement family room but it looked brand new. Since then I've bought new couches from value city and ikea and they just do not compare lol.

CBR 9/2011
best trip so far 12/2013
ChiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #42
SamSam

DIS Veteran

I wouldn't have a problem with a used couch, would just steam clean it good.
Dh and I travel a lot and we certainly sit on many chairs/couches in hotel rooms that I know are not cleaned between guests.

There are some things that are better not thought of.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #43
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

For all the people who thinks it's so gross, do you ever stay at hotels? ALL the bedding (plus mattresses) are USED!!!

Anything that is in good condition, and can be washed and dried, is a *find* for me, if it's something I can really use. OP, you found a great deal.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #44
disneycrazi
watch your head and step as you disembark

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellia
No, not at all!! I mean, I know my kids have had accidents on their bedding but I re-use it after I wash it. At least you know it was washed, unlike hotels.

I won't buy anything that can't go in the washing machine or be Lysol'd off! But, I will admit we bought a couch and recliner off Craigslist. They are leather and were still half covered in plastic, though. I'd never buy fabric furniture. It really grossed me out because we'd had to get rid of our old couch because ds had an "accident" and flipped the cushion so we wouldn't know and it got into the wood. And when we put it to the curb, someone took it! ICK!! Another time, the dog got into a bag of chocolate and made a mess and we had to throw out a recliner and someone took that! Really ICK!!!
Oh mylanta I know what you mean. I have thrown things out like that too......and I am AMAZED at what people will take, the last time we moved, downsized and also got rid of adult kids stuff they no longer wanted we almost made a game out of it placing bets on what would be taken. I was shocked......hmmmmmm is there a reality show in this somewhere????
(2003 Day Trip) (2009 April All Star Movies) (2009 September Port Orleans Riverside) (2010 April Caribbean Beach) (2010 Sept Grand Gathering POFQ) (2011 Jan Contemporary) (2011 April All Star Music) (2011 July POP Century) (2012 January All Star Sports)
(2012 Feb One More Disney Day Coronado Springs)
(2012 Sept Animal Kingdom Jambo) (2013 March Old Key West) (2013 October Art Of Animation, Polynesian)
(2014 April off site Fountains Resort)
disneycrazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #45
ilovejack02
what do you all think?

I don't see a big deal with it ... wash it in hot, have it dry cleaned if it has to be no biggie.

I am getting ready to put a 500 plus set up on a local resale page. I had it dry cleaned a cpl of years ago and never put it back on bed. It has been hanging in the bags in closet unused . Im hoping it sells.
ilovejack02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: