Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Belle74
Earning My Ears

Alone with Kids... anyone done this

I need to clarify... I've been planning on taking my twin girls (who will be turning 5) to Disney for their birthday in May. Originally I was going to bring grandma also but she's been butting heads with me over the trip.

I'm willing to try going on my own alone with the girls but I'm scared stiff of a few things... 1) that someone will get away from me (ie I have runners) and 2) that someone will want to ride a ride and someone won't or will be too scared.. 3) getting anywhere with them plus our luggage.. and heck going on a plane ALONE with my kids..

I wish that I could do this trip (heck any trip) with their Dad but he passed away almost 2 years ago so it's always going to be tough but I want to make this one special and I can't if I'm so stressed out..

So has anyone done Disney alone with kids or should I start recruiting for Grandma's replacement or keep working on getting Grandma to go with us?

TIA
Belle74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
sweetbambi
Mouseketeer

I would think long and hard before I took two kids this age by myself, especially since I assume they will both be walking and pulling on your hands--wanting to go different ways. When my granddaughters were 5 we were playing in the play area that used to be near the carousel and Dumbo and I had my eye on both of them and before I knew it and could do anything, one had bolted and a wonderful employee helped me watch one GC while I chased the other. Try to work it out with your mother----and dress them alike (my granddaughters are first cousins but I knew they would be identified easier that way).
sweetbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

I have done disney by myself with my 4 girls. They were 5,3,2 and 3 months. My five yr old was great and was a big helper.

For you I would use a stroller to help keep one from running away. Plan ahead for the rides. Make custom maps and allow them to pick rides and discuss what they want to do. Maybe even compromise too. If A wants to do a ribe and B doesn't maybe they would be willing to do it and A does the favor in return. For the aiport and luggage get each of them their own suitcase with wheels so they can help too. Talk to them and let them know the rules. Also safety rules too for the just incase. If one does get lost find a CM and give them mommys cell number. I know taking trips alone can be intimidating but after words I have always surprised myself and we have had a great time. If you and grandma are going to be butting heads on what happens you won't have any fun. You can do it. And you and your girls will have a great time and make wonderful memories.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
Robbi
DIS Veteran

I've taken my daughter alone but I'm not sure I could have handled 2. Do you have a teenaged niece or babysitter that you could take with you?
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle74
I need to clarify... I've been planning on taking my twin girls (who will be turning 5) to Disney for their birthday in May. Originally I was going to bring grandma also but she's been butting heads with me over the trip.

I'm willing to try going on my own alone with the girls but I'm scared stiff of a few things... 1) that someone will get away from me (ie I have runners) and 2) that someone will want to ride a ride and someone won't or will be too scared.. 3) getting anywhere with them plus our luggage.. and heck going on a plane ALONE with my kids..

I wish that I could do this trip (heck any trip) with their Dad but he passed away almost 2 years ago so it's always going to be tough but I want to make this one special and I can't if I'm so stressed out..

So has anyone done Disney alone with kids or should I start recruiting for Grandma's replacement or keep working on getting Grandma to go with us?

TIA
First, I am sorry for your loss. I know what it feels like. You can definitely do Disney alone with kids, but since your girls run away from you, I would not take them. Tell them if they really want to go to fun places like Disney World, they have to learn to stay with you so they can be safe.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

I did it twice now wiht my tripelts. We went for their 4th and 5th b-day. Both times daddy had to cancel his portion of the trip and refused to the girls to miss on the fun. I have to say it was the best trip ever. We did what they wanted. It was interesting to do things at their speed. We took ME to make things easy at the airport and not have to deal wiht luggage. At the park I had a double stroller to keep them happy as they got tired easy at WDW. They don't use strollers at home since they were about 3 yo but at Disney it was a must. My best advice is to simply plan meals, the park that you want to see each day and a few must do rides and leave the rest as go with the flow moments. You might find yourself doing things you never thought of before like watching them make candy apples at HS or looking at duicks at Epcot LOL
Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Belle74
Earning My Ears

I'm sorry but don't take my kids to Disney since they might run off on me???? so where shall I go the local bowling center instead ? BTW they are looking forward to going and have been for a long while...

Sorry but your response rubbed me the wrong way..
Belle74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
jdcthree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle74
I'm sorry but don't take my kids to Disney since they might run off on me???? so where shall I go the local bowling center instead ? BTW they are looking forward to going and have been for a long while...

Then perhaps you shouldn't ask for opinions on what to do. If you want to take your kids to Disney and let them run away from you, go for it.

Edited to add: By the way, I wasn't trying to offend you. I gave my honest opinion and I wasn't rude to you in the least. No need to be snarky.
Polynesian 2006
Wilderness Lodge 2005/06

Last edited by jdcthree; 01-03-2013 at 11:34 PM.
jdcthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #9
Cierese
Mouseketeer

I've taken my youngins alone. And after trips with other family, I prefer it. My kids were 1, 6 & 8. They did well and had a blast. My oldest has ADHD and my youngest has sensory issues and seizures. Best thing I can say is, take a stroller, take breaks and run on kid time.

June 2014 - Animal Kingdom Lodge and Caribbean Beach Resort!
Oct 2013 - Old Key West and POP!
July 2011 OKW - Big Family Vacation
Nov 2009 All Stars Music - Thanksgiving!
Sep 2004 Off Site -- Jun 2004 Off Site
July 2003 Off Site OIF Welcome Home Trip
Apr 1995 Don't Remember - Magic Music Days -Yes, I was a band geek!!!
Cierese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #10
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle74 View Post

You stated in your original post that them running "scares you stiff".
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
mommytocalliesue
Mouseketeer

Well...if you're scared of them running off...then I wouldn't take them alone.

I took my 5 year old daughter alone...and we had a perfect time. But only you know your children.

I have a 3 year old son...who is a runner...and we just took him in August...and he completely surprised us. He never ran away from us....except once in the hotel gift shop. And even now...I would consider taking both my kiddos alone!

You just need to make sure you set guidelines with your girls. They're old enough to understand "stranger danger" and all that jazz!

If you're going to butt heads with grandma...I wouldn't take her though!! Disney can be stressful....and if there's drama before the trip...the drama will only continue!

Good luck!! And I'm truly sorry about the passing of you DH.
mommytocalliesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #12
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

I'm going later this month with my younger two--just the three of us. I'm setting my expectations and guidelines NOW--not waiting until we get there. That means that they know, way ahead of time, that we're going to stick together. They are going to alternate who "gets to pick" each day. So, if it's DS6's day, he gets to sit next to Mom if only one child can. With a few exceptions, like Dumbo, we'll either all ride, or nobody rides. And I'm 1000% clear that bad behavior will result in punishment (i.e., timeout on a bench, a trip back to the hotel, etc.).

It wasn't clear from your post, but aren't you raising these girls alone? I'm kind of surprised you don't already have expectations firmly in place. Age 5 is kind of old for kids to be running off from a parent. You seem a bit defensive, so let me be clear--I'm not trying to criticize. I just think you should work on these behaviors and your parental expectations way in advance of any trip--it'll make your life much easier.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #13
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

I've done it but only for part of a trip when dh was in a conference, so I have some advice to offer.

First of all - they will be old enough to listen and understand and obey (although we all know that kids will disobey on occassion just for the fun of it). But I would start now - especially since they're excited - to go over the rules. I know some people put rules by the weyside on vacations - but I'm a believer in bending a bit but still keeping to the rules. Your rules might include - 1)you HAVE to ride in the stroller (and then bring or rent a double), if you refuse or wander away - 2)you will get one warning but the 2nd time we will go back to the room for naps 3) Everyone needs to try to go potty every time we stop at one (hopefully will limit the number of times one goes potty then the other one has to 20 min later) 4) You will each get 3 'warnings' for the whole trip - whomever doesn't get to all 3 will get to pick out a special toy from the store on our last day there. (I'm not opposed to bribery on occassion)

As for the rest of the logistics - Figure out which rides have to ride 2 at a time and steer clear (CM's might not let them on by themselves since they are not 7). I would come up with a game plan of rides beforehand to avoid the 'one wants to ride but the other one doesn't' scenario - if you sit down together beforehand and highlight all the ones that you are going to do (maybe compromising and letting each girl choose one that is special for them that the other one 'has' to do) - then everyone will know upfront and there will be no surprises.

When I went my kids were 3 and 4 - and I decided that above all else - I had to be FLEXIBLE. If either of them got too tired, hot, grumpy that it was just not fun anymore - I decided to leave for the day. So I guess one piece of advice would be to stay for as many days as you can - just in case there are one or two 'had to leave early' days. I was NOT planning on 10 - 12 hour park days. I planned about 5 - 6 rides and then figured if we did those - anything else above that would be bonus and we could leave anytime after.

I would bring a backpack and cooler to throw under the stroller if I was you - having easy, quick access to food and drink to be able to sit on a bench when YOU need a break and give them something to eat/drink just by pulling it out of the coller - is nice and convenient.

I was happy that I did it - It was very special time. I know it will be for you too.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle74 View Post

I don't think that anyone meant any offense but this is a HUGE factor in your trip. I have no trouble traveling alone with my 6 year old, and we have loved time alone at WDW, but there is no way I would take a child alone to WDW that I would not trust to stand beside me, much less two. It is a simple safety fact. You can use a stroller but there are going to be times that they are out of it. What if you are for example using the bathroom and one or both of them decide to run out of the bathroom and where ever they see something they want to do. By the time you can situate yourself and run outside, they could be anywhere. Not fun. I would first work on the issue at hand of helping them learn to obey and to use self control (at a 5 year old level) and then book that dream trip for just you and your daughters. This is not judgment on your parenting styles, I have no clue whether your girls have special needs or what emotional issues they deal with over their daddy's death but bottom line is, lost is lost no matter why they run off. Prayers and Good luck on finding a solution.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

I took my two sons to Disney World by myself while my husband was mobilized. They were ages 4 and almost-8. We had a good trip and I probably let them pick more of what they wanted to do and bent the rules more than I typically do. I told my older son in advance that we'd be skipping the attractions his brother was too short for (at the time, all the 44" and 48" rides). Since we've been often, we don't feel like we have to ride everything every single trip - there will always be a next time. It was a little easier for me since one of my sons was older, in that on attractions where we couldn't all sit together, my oldest could sit behind or in front of my younger son and me. There were also times when I let my two sons ride together and I sat behind them - that could be an option for you on things like Toy Story Mania. You get them situated and then you pop into the seat behind them. My sons love to sit together on Thunder Mtn, as another example.

The most challenging thing for me with my boys was getting meals. I didn't always want them underfoot when I was in the counter-service lines, so I would try to get them to wait for me nearby where I could keep an eye on them. Sometimes we were more successful than others. The only sit-down meal we did was Garden Grill, because it's served family-style, but was still a chance for my kids to see the characters.

With 2 5-yr-olds, I would definitely make a double stroller a non-negotiable item. They would be required to sit in it.

Good luck with planning your trip.

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: